Sign in to follow this  
Jerry Chadwell

Couple quick questions, tried searching no luck

No need to disconnect them.  They turn off when your foot is not on the brake or your night lights are OFF.

Some covers live at 75 mph. Others fly off at 30 mph............   Too many differences to be sure of.   I remove covers & cushions  and carpets for the rare trips. Some can not be found on used boats.

Thanks cyclops.  Not sure I understand your response though.  My foot never comes off the brake when backing the trailer down the ramp.  And what are night lights in this context?  

The first few times, I've disconnected the lights (got that advice from another boater) but my parking sensors beep at me all the way down the ramp.  I can turn them off but the option is buried three or four submenus deep and takes several minutes to find.  The last trip, I forgot to unplug the trailer lights and the silent trip down the ramp was much appreciated.  Everything still works even after being submerged while connected.  Hence my question.  I'd prefer to leave everything connected as long as the light housings being submerged while on won't be a problem.  

QI used to disconnect but too often I forgot to reconnect when I left. I've never had an issue leaving them plugged in.

My 210ssi had a bow and stern cover and my 265 now just has the stern cover. Neither ever came off at 80mph. Try not to run that hard but on long trips it happens. 

11 minutes ago, 2004lebanshee said:

QI used to disconnect but too often I forgot to reconnect when I left. I've never had an issue leaving them plugged in.

My 210ssi had a bow and stern cover and my 265 now just has the stern cover. Neither ever came off at 80mph. Try not to run that hard but on long trips it happens. 

Thanks!  Going to leave plugged in going forward.  I'll also try keeping it covered next season as well.

The only REAL reason to disconnect the trailer plug ? Especially at NIGHT >  The BULBS can get very hot. LEAKY HOLES ? COVERS of the light fixture ?   Water goes in. Black Or a exploded bulb can happen. I use  RTV  rubber to seal holes. Bulbs are decades old.  Water does ruin LED metal parts also.

3 hours ago, Jerry Chadwell said:

Thanks!  Going to leave plugged in going forward.  I'll also try keeping it covered next season as well.

My main reason for leaving it plugged in is I prep the boat then get in it with the kids at the prep station. My wive drives the truck to back it in.  Our ramp is a bit of a hill and when she straightens the truck out to line up with the ramp the trailer weight is against the truck.

If I unplug it my electric surge break lockout no longer works. It's too hard for the truck to overcome 2 axles with disk brakes. Once she is starting down the ramp it's fine but I'm not getting out and in over again. I also hat the guy who takes 10 minutes on the ramp. Soo I carry an extra fuse just incase. I have never blown one. 

** I could have her stop on the ramp get out and unplug it before she dips it. IMO it's not worth the extra risk of her not setting the parking brake and the whole thing going in the drink/ running her over ect. 

If your bulbs are LED`s, no need to disconnect. If incandescent, yes.

You can tow with Bimini up, but wrapped and booted, no fully open. When traveling long distances or at high speeds, I suggest folding down and laying on the hull.

1 hour ago, Chap243 said:

If your bulbs are LED`s, no need to disconnect. If incandescent, yes.

You can tow with Bimini up, but wrapped and booted, no fully open. When traveling long distances or at high speeds, I suggest folding down and laying on the hull.

Thanks.  That's what I do already with the Bimini.  The place we purchased the boat from said to leave the covers off when towing but I've since seen others on the highway being towed with them on.  I'm going to give that a try.  My cushions move around a little with it open and I'd rather not have to pack them in the truck or lose one going down the road...

Put  them in the engine space . Wrap them with thick plastic if your engine  is oily or greasy???????????????  BE VERY CAREFUL to prevent a sharp point tearing the cushion. I ALWAY turn off the big battery switch.   No starts that way. 

I prefer to unplug trailer lights on the ramp. The hot bulbs can get thermal shock when lake water hit them. They usually crack and turn white, cloudy. Keep in mind that I don’t have a 5 wire, reverse surge brake lock out solenoid. So with the 4 wire, conventional bulb set up, I prefer to unplug when on the ramp. 

No need to disconnect them. As long as your trailer lights are water proof there shouldn't be a problem.

Having an old trailer I disconnect the trailer lights. I have backed in on occasion with the lights connected [forgot to disconnect] and they continued to work fine. I just do it as a precautionary thing. [4-pin connecter...no electric brakes]

As for the cover, mine is a snap on cover and I've done 75mph down the QEW keeping up with traffic and I still have it.  I do try to stay at 65mph but the truck just wants to fly. I'm always looking in the mirrors to make sure it remains attached.

My guess would be to inspect your snaps. Are they nice and tight? If so, keep it on. If they are loose and wiggly, stow it.

I use wheel bearing grease on the connector pins & Q TIP the buls & bulb sockets also. Never a corroded socket. Also the wire connections.

I keep good cheap original things. Still with the first wife.    :thsmilie_water_119-1: