2004lebanshee

Alternator test results....

So I posted a pick of my boat gauges while the throttle was wide open. Someone commented that my voltage gauge was showing that my alternator wasn't charging.  I did some testing and this is what I found...

Boat off and starting battery only

12.53v

Started up boat and left at idle

Battery 13.72 and gauge about 12.2

Boat at 2000k RPM

Battery 13.82,  gauge 12.2ish , positive terminal on alternator 14.9 ( connected the negative lead to the house battery negative terminal)

Boat back to idle

12.64 battery and gauge at 11.2 ish, positive terminal on alternator 14.52

Now I didnt think I hand any problems. I was mentioned by another poster that they thought the reason my 496 alarmed at 5000rpm and 56 mph was that it was reading low voltage. ( he was able to see my gauge in the pic). I think it was the rev limiter.

Is it safe to say the alternator is good and my gauge is off? 

Does your engine ALWAYS start in1 or 2 seconds of cranking ?  Or does it take longer  ?    Were you using a decent voltmeter to take readings at battery ?   A great way to test if your DCVOLTS are close to being right on the  handheld meter is to measure 1.5 volt & 9 volt batteries.  

The variation between the Alternator output screw & at the battery could be a voltage drop due to recharging the battery from the cranking.

The voltage difference between dash gauge  & battery  could be the meter  aging

How freeking difficult is it with the CRAPIEST way to build a meter.  They must deliberately make them read so badly. 

The true value of it.  Is to tell you someone has stolen your battery.

If your setup is like mine and have dual batteries with an isolator you will have about .5 to 1 volt drop through the isolator. That’s normal.  Just an FYI. 

5 hours ago, CKSNAP said:

If your setup is like mine and have dual batteries with an isolator you will have about .5 to 1 volt drop through the isolator. That’s normal.  Just an FYI. 

I do have the factory isolator with diaods. Thanks.

I added an amp gauge to my gauges, so I can monitor both at the same time.  Denny

my voltage gauge reads about 2.2 low , also.  my speedo(which is a separate gauge) reads about 4mph when compared to GPS

Excellent gauge Denny. That one will always tell you when the battery SHOULD be charged up. If you see a creeping up & steady current demand ?  Check it out time. Battery or even a loose connection growing.  Ammeters are a great diagnostic tool..  Just like oil temperature.  The old woody boats had temperature gauges of fluids.    

Love visual analog gauges.  They give a check of themselves & of what they monitor constantly without key pads & scrolling.