Newbie question - Mercury vs Volvo

If you believe a lot  of P M  expense  will provide  a more dependable boat ?   Buy a Volvo. 

Do realize this fact............. The engines in a boat are GARBAGE  compared to a car engine. ..............My old 2002 Mercruiser 5.0 V 8  carbed engine has ran perfectly with with no  P M schedule.  Except for oil changes as required on  end of season.  I am assuming if I treated a Volvo like that ?  It would have failed many times. 

I almost forgot.  I do go WOT   /  top speed for about 1 to 5 minutes . Every time out.   I like clean sparkplugs. Boats & cars.

Volvo vs Merc can easily become the boat version of Ford vs Chevy   Everyone has their opinions based on their personal experiences and tastes. I agree with paul above - you really need to look into who can support you - and you want to ask about their travel costs (its not like you can take your boat to a mechanic when it breaks down, they gotta come to you).  In my area of the upper Chesapeake, much easier to find a mobile merc mechanic than a mobile VP one.  So be sure to understand their travel rates and how long they normally take to respond.  Both power plants have their strengths and both have their weaknesses.  And in both cases, you gotta be really diligent to take good care of them.  I agree with Cyclops - if you treat your boat engine like your car engine your mechanic will spend more time with your boat than you will

Are you looking at new or used. Both are good, both have had some turds. If buying used, a lot will depend on how well the previous owner(s) have maintained them. Agree with others, find out what/which service is available in your area. If you do it yourself, purchase the proper shop manuals for what you have and learn it.

I have Volvo, and like it.  If I had Mercury, I am sure I would like it.  OTHER than the Volvo plastic drives (XPD) I don't think there is a huge difference in either one.

If you are buying new there are some differences in the motors as Volvo has gone to the latest GM offerings and Mercury is/has stayed with the older tried and proven versions of the GM family...at least that is my understanding so if I am incorrect I would like to know..

Whether you are running a small business or a large business, it is important that your building lives up to your expectations. Hiring commercial drywall contractors can not only ensure that your project is done correctly but done promptly. Here at Drywall Jacksonville we specialize in commercial drywall installation and repair that your business can count on for long-lasting results and quality customer service. As a locally based, Jacksonville, FL commercial drywall contractor, we aim to help the local community accomplish more with their businesses. Check out more reasons below why you should hire us as a local drywall contractor for your next project.

Drywall Jacksonville FL,
Commercial Drywall Jacksonville,
Commercial Drywall Florida,
Drywall Jacksonville Florida,

I HAVE NOT read every single response. But my 2cents.......... If I had a choice, I would go with Volvo after owning both. BUT, both are good engines and drives. I will give Merc 4.5 stars and Volvo 5 stars. Thats me?   

5 hours ago, snhrph@gmail.com said:

Its a 380.   It sounds really nice with  a through hull exhaust.

You have a cast iron block with aluminum heads so keep up with the closed system anti-freeze change out every 5 years. The Dex-cool silicate free extended performance formulation is a great product, but can become corrosive if left in service for too long. The first thing it begins to work on is the head gaskets. W