Wood and Fiberglass Replacement

Hi All, 

I have a 1987 187XL that I have had for about a year. I just had it winterized for the season and want to do some cosmetic type repairs over the winter. Being that the boat is pushing 35 years old a lot of the wood is starting to rot out in areas. (I put new seats in this year because the originals had rotten seat bases.) One of the areas that needs to be replaced is a shelving like area that runs down the inside of the boat. It is where the cup holders are next to the driver and passenger seats.  There is an area of the shelve that has a teak step on it and the wood from underneath is just pouring out. I removed part of the carpet to see if it was something I could replace with a new piece of wood but it seems to have been fiber glassed over and is connected to the actual body of the boat. 

My question for you guys, is this something that is repairable without spending a ton of money. The fiberglass itself seems fine but the wood underneath is just falling out. I am just nervous to really mess with it because I don't want to inadvertently damage the hull of the boat. 

Thanks for any feedback! 

On 11/9/2020 at 10:04 AM, Stonestreet said:

Hi All, 

I have a 1987 187XL that I have had for about a year. I just had it winterized for the season and want to do some cosmetic type repairs over the winter. Being that the boat is pushing 35 years old a lot of the wood is starting to rot out in areas. (I put new seats in this year because the originals had rotten seat bases.) One of the areas that needs to be replaced is a shelving like area that runs down the inside of the boat. It is where the cup holders are next to the driver and passenger seats.  There is an area of the shelve that has a teak step on it and the wood from underneath is just pouring out. I removed part of the carpet to see if it was something I could replace with a new piece of wood but it seems to have been fiber glassed over and is connected to the actual body of the boat. 

My question for you guys, is this something that is repairable without spending a ton of money. The fiberglass itself seems fine but the wood underneath is just falling out. I am just nervous to really mess with it because I don't want to inadvertently damage the hull of the boat. 

Thanks for any feedback! 

Pictures would help.

Is the damage above the floor?  Denny.

If you want to restore your teak wood, it will be easy. Restoration can take you a day or two, depending on the cleaning material that you will use. Aside from that, the condition of the teak wood also matters. If it looks severely worn out, it can take more time and more cleaning agents for restoration. Use One-part teak wood cleaner to restore your teak wood. Most of these cleaners contain oxalic and phosphoric acid to deter the accumulated dirt on your teak wood.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2020 at 10:04 AM, Stonestreet said:

Hi All, 

Thanks for any feedback! 

I have an 87 Chap and I had extraordinary rot and I repaired all of it. Even little old me.  

The first repair I did was the cross beam holding the hatch where the boat cover gets stored along the stern railing. It was so darn rotted that the the wood was actually powder and it was the vinyl material that was holding everything together. I also replaced the hatch cover too.

As for the shelves, it took awhile of ownership before the wood gave way. I peeled back the rug and was stunned at how rotted it was. I didn't know how to pull the whole piece of wood from the fiberglass wall so I just peeled all the rotted wood off to the point where the same plank was still in good shape. I then cut a new plank to fit the old plank and put support brackets underneath. Then stapled the original carpet back in place. Been fine ever since. Don't get discouraged...if I can do it....you can too.

The rot was so bad on the shelves, I started paying attention as to how the water was coming in. I assumed that it was due to a lot of climbing in and out while wet. I found another reason. The window frames.  On my boat, when it's raining or spray, water was coming out from underneath the window frame at the rear mounting [sealed closed since]. The way my boat is designed the fiberglass surface just aft of the frame is slanted inward. So water coming out of the window frame drips into the boat all along the shelf. 

At first I sealed where the vinyl on the side meets the fiberglass in an effort to prevent water entry between the vinyl and the fiberglass wall. Didn't help. I then laid down a bead of silicone sealant from the window frame and curved it to the outside of the boat. This made water from the frame go outside of the boat instead of inside.  Boat is now dry and a dessert.  

I have pictures on Photobucket but it is locked and I refuse to pay for it. But, I found my post from 2013 with a couple of pics. Hope this helps.

Rotted wood-What's the next step? - Boat Talk - Chaparral Boats Owners Club

18 hours ago, SST said:

I have an 87 Chap and I had extraordinary rot and I repaired all of it. Even little old me.  

The first repair I did was the cross beam holding the hatch where the boat cover gets stored along the stern railing. It was so darn rotted that the the wood was actually powder and it was the vinyl material that was holding everything together. I also replaced the hatch cover too.

As for the shelves, it took awhile of ownership before the wood gave way. I peeled back the rug and was stunned at how rotted it was. I didn't know how to pull the whole piece of wood from the fiberglass wall so I just peeled all the rotted wood off to the point where the same plank was still in good shape. I then cut a new plank to fit the old plank and put support brackets underneath. Then stapled the original carpet back in place. Been fine ever since. Don't get discouraged...if I can do it....you can too.

The rot was so bad on the shelves, I started paying attention as to how the water was coming in. I assumed that it was due to a lot of climbing in and out while wet. I found another reason. The window frames.  On my boat, when it's raining or spray, water was coming out from underneath the window frame at the rear mounting [sealed closed since]. The way my boat is designed the fiberglass surface just aft of the frame is slanted inward. So water coming out of the window frame drips into the boat all along the shelf. 

At first I sealed where the vinyl on the side meets the fiberglass in an effort to prevent water entry between the vinyl and the fiberglass wall. Didn't help. I then laid down a bead of silicone sealant from the window frame and curved it to the outside of the boat. This made water from the frame go outside of the boat instead of inside.  Boat is now dry and a dessert.  

I have pictures on Photobucket but it is locked and I refuse to pay for it. But, I found my post from 2013 with a couple of pics. Hope this helps.

Rotted wood-What's the next step? - Boat Talk - Chaparral Boats Owners Club

Thanks! That is the same exact problem I am having. What did you connect the brackets to? It seems like the wood is being held into place by the top layer of fiberglass that connects directly to the hull. I am really worried about accidently damaging the hull itself but something has to be done because, like yours, the wood is powder in that area. 

6 hours ago, Stonestreet said:

I believe so. They run down the side of the boat between the floor and the top sides of the boat (gunnel?) 

The shelves are an add-on, and have nothing to do with the structure of the boat.

Clean off the carpet to see how they were installed.

if you don't have the skills, or the money, you don't have to replace them, just clean the area up, and put in new carpet.

You may want to check the vertical side panel about it, push on the lower edge, if it feels hard , you are ok.  Denny.

On 12/2/2020 at 11:32 AM, Stonestreet said:

Thanks! That is the same exact problem I am having. What did you connect the brackets to? It seems like the wood is being held into place by the top layer of fiberglass that connects directly to the hull. I am really worried about accidently damaging the hull itself but something has to be done because, like yours, the wood is powder in that area. 

Its been so long I don't remember all the details on the repair. But, if you look at the other thread posting, you can see the support post underneath the rotted shelf. I made a new one, covered it with the original vinyl and screwed it underneath the new plank and beneath the teak step. This post takes all the pressure instead of the shelf alone.