Going bigger

I am selling my 2011 Sig 290. With 230hrs and fresh water cooled. If anyone would like it? It really is a good boat but its just too small for us.

I just bought a 38 footer, diesel engine and genset. Holds 200gals of water and 600 gals of fuel. Flybridge and boom davit system. 

19 minutes ago, Iggy said:

I am selling my 2011 Sig 290. With 230hrs and fresh water cooled. If anyone would like it? It really is a good boat but its just too small for us.

I just bought a 38 footer, diesel engine and genset. Holds 200gals of water and 600 gals of fuel. Flybridge and boom davit system. 

Nice!  What did you get?  We've been thinking 36-38 foot with fly bridge for a year or so now.  Really liked a Carver 360 we looked at.  Probably should have pulled the trigger, but oh well.  She's long gone now.

Well, I wanted a Cutwater 30!! But my wife found a 2001 Pacific Trawler which was made by the same people of Nordic Tug.

It was hard to turn it down. Comes with a 9.5 Highfield inflatable with 20 HP motor. The davit system is a crane, so the inflatable goes on the roof and lowered on ether the port or starboard side. Bow thruster, 3000 watt inverter/charger, 3 year old Simrad Chartplotter and radar, washer & dryer, AIS, Water filtration system so you can drink the water from the tank. Plus more.. 

On 11/14/2020 at 9:28 AM, Larry Cole said:

Wow! Are you planning on doing the loop ?

The boat has done the loop by its past owners. But yes, I really would like to do it! I just need my wife to take the time off.

I am installing a solar system the next week or two. Also, I am trying to configure a PC system for the boat. I would like to use TZ Navigator software rather than a a standard GPS for navigation.  

14 hours ago, Iggy said:

The boat has done the loop by its past owners. But yes, I really would like to do it! I just need my wife to take the time off.

I am installing a solar system the next week or two. Also, I am trying to configure a PC system for the boat. I would like to use TZ Navigator software rather than a a standard GPS for navigation.  

Would be interested in following your solar install - can you post details & pics when you are in process or completed?  Thanks 

On 11/13/2020 at 5:57 PM, Iggy said:

Well, I wanted a Cutwater 30!! But my wife found a 2001 Pacific Trawler which was made by the same people of Nordic Tug.

It was hard to turn it down. Comes with a 9.5 Highfield inflatable with 20 HP motor. The davit system is a crane, so the inflatable goes on the roof and lowered on ether the port or starboard side. Bow thruster, 3000 watt inverter/charger, 3 year old Simrad Chartplotter and radar, washer & dryer, AIS, Water filtration system so you can drink the water from the tank. Plus more.. 

Oh, man!  That's my dream.  Move to Florida and buy a trawler to cruise the Bahamas and Keys (might be a bit shallow in the Keys?).  Hope you stick around here and share some photos and stories!

2 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Oh, man!  That's my dream.  Move to Florida and buy a trawler to cruise the Bahamas and Keys (might be a bit shallow in the Keys?).  Hope you stick around here and share some photos and stories!

Bahamas are much more shallow.. 

11 hours ago, JohnZ said:

Would be interested in following your solar install - can you post details & pics when you are in process or completed?  Thanks 

I bought 3 panels,  SunPower 110watt Panels. Going to use 10 gauge tinned wire. https://www.emarineinc.com/SunPower-110W-Solar-Panel-12V?VariantInventoryID=1035&feed=Froogle

This is what I bought for a controller https://www.solarpanelstore.com/products/morningstar-sunsaver-duo-w-remote-meter-ssd-25rm?_pos=6&_sid=7d7e88007&_ss=r

Since the inflatable will be stored on the roof. I am going to attach the panels to its covers. 

If you are going to go into dangerous shallow waters ?  Then do a VERY accurate calibration CHECK of  your depth sounder.  A good swimmer with fins & goggles is all you need.  His purpose is to verify that mucky & STILL water HITH VERTICAL weeds are read ACCURATLY. If not ?  off plane speeds can & does break off the softer tops of some weeds. As they are bumped by the & hull. slide along the hull and get to water intake slots.  Yes  I have done that with charts & sonar .  The problem is with all the new INVASIVE weeds as the go thru their growing season.   There are many bays I can not go into after spring growth period.  ALL types of weeds . The worst are the ones like green sewing threads.

3 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

If you are going to go into dangerous shallow waters ?  Then do a VERY accurate calibration CHECK of  your depth sounder.  A good swimmer with fins & goggles is all you need.  His purpose is to verify that mucky & STILL water HITH VERTICAL weeds are read ACCURATLY. If not ?  off plane speeds can & does break off the softer tops of some weeds. As they are bumped by the & hull. slide along the hull and get to water intake slots.  Yes  I have done that with charts & sonar .  The problem is with all the new INVASIVE weeds as the go thru their growing season.   There are many bays I can not go into after spring growth period.  ALL types of weeds . The worst are the ones like green sewing threads.

Several years ago was cruising around Long Point, Ontario inside of Port Rowan. Even though I was in a marked channel, I couldn't get on plane due to the weeds below. At 5 mph it was fine but as soon as I tried to accelerate, the outdrive lowered into the weeds and choked it. I had to wait until I was further out. 

Have fun on your new boat. That is quite a stretch from 2foot-itis!

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, EmmalynGreen said:

sell it w/ a broker. better chances

The Sig 290 is basically sold and I did it though Facebook. I took a deposit and passing papers next week.  To be honest about it, I wanted a 34 to 36 footer. My wife wanted this boat. But it was too good to pass up! I have already install a Siren Marine alarm system. At home it tells me, you may want to get one for this. Voltage of my house and starting batteries, if you loose shore power, doors and GPS position. You can set it up for high water alarm, temp, if pumps are turning on and more. 

The solar system, I have most of it mounted but the panels. Right now I have them resting on the helm. This spring I will mount them on the roof. The question is how which I need to come up with. You should see me get into the engine compartment! There is a four foot drop and they were stepping down to the engine and then to the floor. I bought a 3' step ladder and mounted it to make it easier!