Trailering a 2015 SIG 290

17 hours ago, Larry Cole said:

I am curious. What is best for the canvas.? Take it all off ? Leave the short front canvas? It take me a lot of time to get the top back on when we get to the ramp. Suggestions needed .

17 hours ago, Larry Cole said:

I am curious. What is best for the canvas.? Take it all off ? Leave the short front canvas? It take me a lot of time to get the top back on when we get to the ramp. Suggestions needed .

Never tow with any canvas up that will grab air and act like a sail.

Canvas shops love boaters that do.  Denny.

You should always tow with the canvass up.

If you want to buy a new set.     Sooner 

Some canvas CAN  STRETCH,   BIGGER permanently .  I did that one, long ago. It then flapped loudly.   Shredded finally by the end of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

With a boat that size, I would guess that are you are only trailering it once or twice per season - upon launch and again for winter layup (if needed).  If you don’t plan on towing any faster than you would drive it on the water, then you could probably keep it up for a short distance.  Otherwise, I’d do what others here recommend and either remove it or wrap it around the frame and zip the “boot” around it during transport.  I zip mine into the boot for the once or twice a season I need to trailer it.

On 11/23/2020 at 10:30 AM, KDV said:

With a boat that size, I would guess that are you are only trailering it once or twice per season - upon launch and again for winter layup (if needed).  If you don’t plan on towing any faster than you would drive it on the water, then you could probably keep it up for a short distance.  Otherwise, I’d do what others here recommend and either remove it or wrap it around the frame and zip the “boot” around it during transport.  I zip mine into the boot for the once or twice a season I need to trailer it.

Yep!

I have the boat yard move my 290. I was going to get a boat hauler to move the boat from my house to the ramp twice a year. It would have worked out a lot cheaper than buying a trailer and have a truck to move 12,000+lbs. But they can't make the turn into my driveway unless a cut a 20' tree down. I was going to do, but the wife got a little upset over that idea.  

Have you enjoyed making your own boat trailer guide posts? Having these posts will make maneuvering your boats a whole lot easier. It can also act as a visual cue as you transfer it through.

The trailer will most likely cost you less than the regular boat trailer posts you can find online or in stores. If you having a DIY post is that it perfectly fits your trailer boat. You can adjust the height of this post according to your needs. By having a custom-made one, you can assess your trailer's needs and adapt to it quickly.