Winterizing question; 2003 200SSI

I live in an area where I will take my boat to the lake on decent days throughout the winter,  but still need to provide freeze protection. Smith Mountain, VA, boat lives in an unheated fully contained garage. On my Sea Ray, I would use the muffs and suck in Marine/RV antifreeze and stuff it back in the garage. My new to me 200 SSI with 5.0 MPI has a single point drain handle which I have never opened. 

Can anyone tell me what I should be doing? The manual explains both procedures, draining the system as well as running antifreeze thru the muffs. 

Thanks. 

Cris 

I didn't know they had a single point drain system in 2003, are you sure of this?

If so, that would be your simplest and best route to winterize for a short term. Just make sure that it drains all of the block and manifolds. Much easier and reliable that running on muffs.

36 minutes ago, Chap243 said:

I didn't know they had a single point drain system in 2003, are you sure of this?

If so, that would be your simplest and best route to winterize for a short term. Just make sure that it drains all of the block and manifolds. Much easier and reliable that running on muffs.

I will go out and check. 

Just checked and compared to the manual. It def has the blue round drain handle per the picture in the manual. So what you are saying is all I have to do is open the handle and make sure it drains into the bilge and then out the seacock? Should I be doing this all the time even in warm months? I'm in fresh water, so not a contamination issue. And the out drive, just lower it to allow it to drain? No need for antifreeze and muffs? And assuming engine should be warm before draining to ensure t stat is open? 

Thanks again. 

IMG_3778.JPG

Yes, in theory, you should just have to drain the engine after each outing and leave it dry until you want to go out again. No need to run antifreeze through it each time, much easier and simpler. Is your system a closed system or raw water cooled? You will probably need to remove that blue butterfly plug along with turning the big blue knob. I`m not an expert on Mercs, maybe someone with a similar system can speak up and give you better advice.

I have the same engine. I winterize for several months and I fill the drained block and manifolds with antifreeze one at a time, then drain them through the single point drain separately. Kind of reassures me that none of the drain hose connections are clogged. Good luck with the little blue plug. Mine is broken and stuck in the hole. I just pull the top hose to vent it.