New Trim Sender installed/Gauge still not working

I recently installed new trim limit & sending units on 96 2135SS. Trim gauge still pegged full up. Shorted I post to ground and needle drops to full down. When I try and adjust the sending switch, nothing happens on the gauge nor will the trim limit switch stop the drive from going full down to full up no matter where I position the switch. Both up and down buttons will move the drive full up and down. I also made sure switch marks were aligned properly. Any ideas?

1 hour ago, Keiths said:

I recently installed new trim limit & sending units on 96 2135SS. Trim gauge still pegged full up. Shorted I post to ground and needle drops to full down. When I try and adjust the sending switch, nothing happens on the gauge nor will the trim limit switch stop the drive from going full down to full up no matter where I position the switch. Both up and down buttons will move the drive full up and down. I also made sure switch marks were aligned properly. Any ideas?

What kind of outdrive?

Should be a plug and play, and then a simple adjustment.  Denny.

1 hour ago, Keiths said:

Alpha One. Yes, it should be but neither switch is doing what it's supposed to be doing when it comes to adjustment. 

Are they genuine Mercruiser units.

Are the plugs interchangeable from unit to unit?

Is it possible to plug them in wrong?

Are they mounted on the proper sides of the drive?

Start at the beginning and retrace your steps.

One side to go bad ok, but both sides to go bad, I would look for human error.

What was wrong with the old ones?

When I changed mine, I had no issues.  Denny.

As yours is a 96, the units are simple analog senders, and not digital. Let's assume that you bought the right replacements. Secondly, early Merc replacements were simply the pucks themselves, and not the cables. Two screws on each to secure the wires, and replacement took minutes. Then Merc discovered that frequently the feed wires themselves had failed between the pucks and the transom, so the newer replacements came with the wires permanently attached. You could remove the wire anchor, but that was not recommended. If you cheated, and changed out the pucks only, them my guess is the wires are the issue. W

2 hours ago, Wingnut said:

As yours is a 96, the units are simple analog senders, and not digital. Let's assume that you bought the right replacements. Secondly, early Merc replacements were simply the pucks themselves, and not the cables. Two screws on each to secure the wires, and replacement took minutes. Then Merc discovered that frequently the feed wires themselves had failed between the pucks and the transom, so the newer replacements came with the wires permanently attached. You could remove the wire anchor, but that was not recommended. If you cheated, and changed out the pucks only, them my guess is the wires are the issue. W

Thanks Wing, I did not take into account a design change.  Denny.

I did the complete change with OEM parts. Wires and units making sure the wires went to the correct connectors. Before I changed them the trim up button would not work but that works now. The connectors for the sending unit are dummy proof connectors. You can't connect them wrong as they will only fit where they go, male to female, female to male. 

1 hour ago, Keiths said:

I did the complete change with OEM parts. Wires and units making sure the wires went to the correct connectors. Before I changed them the trim up button would not work but that works now. The connectors for the sending unit are dummy proof connectors. You can't connect them wrong as they will only fit where they go, male to female, female to male. 

Maybe your control switch has issues.  Denny.

6 hours ago, Keiths said:

Check the output from the starboard side trim indicator sender with an ohm meter and see if it changes as the drive is raised. I've had a few new ones that were marked Made in Mexico, that had so much grease on the internal reluctor wheel that they failed to make contact. W