No need to leave off the props.  Remove the props   Use a  clean paper towel to remove the old grease from the splines of the shafts. Put a thin coating on the shaft splines. Slide the props back and forth 2 times lock the props on the shafts.  I Have never needed to use a gear / prop puller  or pounded props back on.  Idiot mechanics cause the need to hammer props back on.  I caught a mechanic pounding my prop back on As I arrived early.  ASee  hole was trying to put someone elses piece of @#$%@#ty prop on my boat.  New marina.  Took the boat & my prop home & finished the job.. I could never trust the shaft bearings after that pounding.    It happens. Another marina.

Many people remove props to prevent them from being stolen over the winter (outside storage, open marina, etc).  I would just cover with a freezer zip loc (gallon size?) and use a rubber band to seal it around the out drive (base of the prop).

I made a cap a few years back when my props were in the shop. You'll need a 4x3" rubber boot then a 4" piece of 3" PVC,  3x2 PVC reducer, 4" piece of 2" pipe, 2" cap. Glue it altogether and drill a hole into the cap. You'll use the screw form the anode to bolt it on and tighten he rubber boot around the piece.

I am not really not understanding the reason for covering. What type of security do you have in covering? 

As already mentioned, I take the props off, clean and re-grease. If there going to take the drive, covering is not going to stop that. You have Ins, yes. Worst case, they take the drive and you get a new one with the help of the Ins. Co.