Adding docking lights on older SL1900?

Hi all,

Any recommendations for affordable docking lights for my 1991 SL1900?

I don't really have a preference of through-hull or surface mount. Preferably under or around $100 if possible but I'd rather 'break the bank' than repeatedly bang the boat into stuff in the dark. I see some ElCheapo-Grande jobs on eBay for $29 but I seriously doubt those are a whole lot better than a hand held flashlight in real life. LOL

I would like LEDs for low power draw and for them to really light up the area ahead since I often put in at river & inland lake launches in my area that aren't exactly well lit. If there's a single street light in the parking lot I'm lucky. ;)

If anyone has some real-life pictures of what their docking lights look like from the boat at night that would help a lot. Searching for pics gets a lot of pics of lights but few really showing what a particular light does from the perspective of being in the boat.

Thanks for any help.

For launching and retrieving at night, I have portable lights I can quickly attach to the roof rack of my Tahoe. I have docking lights, after testing them I never used them.  I use a handheld spot light instead of the docking lights. Those two things have always worked in my situations. The docking lights are not aim able so they limit their usefulness.  

7 hours ago, Boatman609 said:

For launching and retrieving at night, I have portable lights I can quickly attach to the roof rack of my Tahoe. I have docking lights, after testing them I never used them.  I use a handheld spot light instead of the docking lights. Those two things have always worked in my situations. The docking lights are not aim able so they limit their usefulness.  

Yep!

And docking lights are just that. There only to be on when docking. Otherwise you go against U.S.C.G. rules of navigation. 

I have 2 handheld spots on each boat. They let me sweep all around in a instant.  If a cloud blocks the moon out.  VERY RARE with failing eyesight now.

I bought them for the crazy  WOT  Danzi's boozed up. A couple have tried docking at WOT to someone elses dock.  After saying good for you driver. I then boated over to help anyone injured.  Never found a nighttime Donzi  person with a life vest on.

You can consider Q QUNSUNUS LED Remote Spotlights. In terms of the quality of the light, this 12V LED spotlight is exceptional. As it comes with a high-intensity LED, it can illuminate up to 200 meters of bright lights. But what impressed me the most is its remote control feature. It gives the user the ability to control and pinpoint the direction of the place where the light is needed.

6 minutes ago, IndyChap said:

So I will go “against the current” for the above comments.  I added docking lights and they are VERY helpful. My slip has very poor lighting and the docking lights (that I added) help a lot.  large.UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1568.jpg.b240548ed30d58377ba9f59ec56d79bb.jpg

If they work for you, that is all that matters.  Denny.