I want to buy a new boat...

Your not stating year or engine type. Not that it really matters. BUT, all boats are expensive to maintain. Whos doing the work? 

Its sounds like this is your first boat. Plan on spending 1 to 2 grand more and not to talk you out of it! You will need fenders, lines, PFDs, maybe upgrade the sound system, extra starting battery. Maybe a VHF, GPS, tools, spare parts, pump to change the oil and more. Upkeep on the trailer if you need one.

Boats are great, but don't kid your self and take a boating course.

I spoke with a marina owner that explained the cost of boat ownership quite well.  He said that you should expect to pay 1 percent to 10 percent of the original boat purchase price per year for maintenance and upkeep depending on how much of it you do yourself.  If you pay someone else to do maintenance, repairs, storage, mooring, cleaning, and transport it will be closer to 10 percent.  If you do all of those things yourself it will be closer to 1 percent.

This is a VERY DIFFICULT question to answer.  Even by the most experienced boat owners.  Why ?

Because NOTHING you have ever owned and used in DANGEROUS  conditions.  Can come close to what a boat needs to have on board.   

A car and a boat have nothing in common when OPERATING   UP KEEP  is added up.    Your boating area can constantly cause damage.  

Way to many things to add up on the web.

Best discussed over a LONG DINNER.

If you are buying a used boat, it could be VERY Expensive to maintain.  If you are new to boating and are buying a used boat, get a marine survey.  Remember, if its used the owner is selling for a reason, could be because he wants bigger, could be because he knows something major is gonna go wrong.

Normal maintenance, dock fees, trailers, insurance, winterization, gas --- will add up.

Take someone with you knowledgable. Buy used. Im guessing a new 19 footer is like 40-50k. You could easily find a good used one for under 20k. Learn the maintenance procedures your self and it's cheap. Alpha drives and a 5.0 mph are easy to work on and cheap to fix in comparison to new price hit.

By it new and take care of it and you will get many years of trouble free fun. 
For a I/O:

Yearly oil change

Every 2 years do the drive oil and fuel filter.

Grease the coupler about every 100 hours. 

Every 2-3 years do the raw water impeller. 

If in salt or brackish water flush after every use.

Every 5-7 years pull the drive and replace the bellows.  Inspect the gimbal bearing and U joint.  Store with the drive almost full down to prolong their life.

Replace your accessory belt every 5 years.

Install a battery maintainer and your batteries will last a long time.  It will also stop you from being “that guy” at the ramp or on the water with a dead battery.

Take care of your trailer.  Keep the tires at the proper pressure and the hubs greased. Replace your tires every 6 years so again you will not be “that guy” on the side of the road with a blown tire or failed hub.

If you can do all this yourself plan on a average of $100-200 a year. 

22 hours ago, 2004lebanshee said:

Take someone with you knowledgable. Buy used. Im guessing a new 19 footer is like 40-50k. You could easily find a good used one for under 20k. Learn the maintenance procedures your self and it's cheap. Alpha drives and a 5.0 mph are easy to work on and cheap to fix in comparison to new price hit.

In 2019 you could. The used boat market has sucked for buyers since COVID happened.  Now 20k gets you a boat full of someone else’s problems.  

Its for sure gotten tougher to find a good deal. My buddy just picked up a 08 210 ssi with 250 hours fresh water only boat for 17k. Great boat. Took some looking but there out there. The boat of that year is probably built better then a new one as well. I look for the prices to come back in a year or two. Not to mention the people who just got in the sport with a new boat not knowing what boating was even like. I look for a lot of people to take a loss. 

6 hours ago, 2004lebanshee said:

Its for sure gotten tougher to find a good deal. My buddy just picked up a 08 210 ssi with 250 hours fresh water only boat for 17k. Great boat. Took some looking but there out there. The boat of that year is probably built better then a new one as well. I look for the prices to come back in a year or two. Not to mention the people who just got in the sport with a new boat not knowing what boating was even like. I look for a lot of people to take a loss. 

Man that’s a good deal. A buddy of mine has been looking without much luck. It’s either ragged out or $30k+.