I'm looking at buying a 2011 Sunesta 224 with about 350 hours on the dash gauge.  The motor is a Volvo Penta 5.7  GI-J 3869403 A 114295.  My offer is conditional to inspection and the boat was looked over.  In the process the boat is found to be very clean and well cared for.  Good interior, a bit of wear that correlates appropriately with the age of the boat.  There was a bit of an issue with dirty gear oil and the seal by the impeller was a little leaky but no really big deal there.  I had the ECM looked at and the hours on the ECM matched the gauge.  The issue is that the ECM and the gauge did not match the RMP print out.  The print out showed over 1000 hours at an RPM of 2000 giving a total number of hours close to 1200.  The boat says 350 hours, the condition of the boat says 350 hours, and the ECM says 350 hours.  Why would the RMP print up indicate triple hours?

So the mechanic called Volvo and it sounds like there may be an electrical anomaly - some sort of current that is tripping the RPM sensor on the way to the ECM (or is it ECU??).  Either way, the ECU/ECM hours matches the gauge and the condition of the boat so I may try and get a new computer head out of Volvo.  Mechanic said you could follow the wires and see if you can feel any current or spark.  He looked at the wiring harness and didn't see anything obvious.

It's more than likely a software/firmware bug either in the software reading the hours or the firmware in the ECM reporting them.  No wire is going to cause that as it counts hours based off or things like the cranks shaft position sensor.  No way that boat ran at 2000 RPM for 1000 hours.