2001 Chaparral 216 SSI

Hello everyone. Need some HELP!

New here. I bought a used 216 SSI, 5.7 EFI, and had a problem with it yesterday and I'm wondering if someone could help me out.

My boat stalled on the water yesterday with 1/2 tank of fuel on the gauge.

I thought it maybe a faulty gauge / sending unit. When I put the boat on the trailer, level ground, the engine started but kind of sputtered out. Fuel pump is switching on.

So I decided I would put gas in it and see if it would start. Put about 10 gals in and it fired right up! ran for a while with ear muffs on.

I decided to go ahead and fuel it up. Problem I ran into was that it only took 25 gals to fill it up. All info online says this thing has a 58 gal tank! Could it be the pickup tube for the fuel in the tank? Maybe it's too short and I wasnt really out of gas? Does anyone know where the pickup tube is on the tank? I dont see one near the access for the fuel gauge sending unit.

So, if I am reading this right, you put 10 gallons in and then 25? Isn't that 35 total? 2x35=70. You may have just been sucking some stale gas into the engine. Put some additive into your tank and use as much of that tank as you can before refueling.

On 5/24/2021 at 1:27 PM, Cwest said:

I dont see one near the access for the fuel gauge sending unit.

Follow the fuel line.
Also fuel filter(s) -- have you changed them? Water in the fuel????