Chaparral Web Team

Canvas Installation Manuals

Wow! I like the way these covers go on. Looks a lot better than the snap-on version I have. Well done to Chap on the upgrade!

It would be sweet if these were also made available for older boats too. WITH A LOGO ON THEM ALSO! :D

Wow. Four pages to describe how to put a mooring cover on??? What happened to KISS? Lay it out...Snap it on...Done.

Wow. Four pages to describe how to put a mooring cover on??? What happened to KISS? Lay it out...Snap it on...Done.

What is simple to some is not to others. But I have to agree, how hard is it to put a cover on?

Would these covers be an alternative to shrink wrapping every year? If so are they available for the 276 SSX?

Webbie:

would it be possible to get the drawing for the new style of canvas for the 290? i have an 2005 and in 2006 Chap went to the canvas attached to the arch and a square back. the canvas for the 2005 hooks to the iside of the cockpit which allows water to come in and has a back piece that take two men and a small boy to install. i would like to replace my canvas but think it would be easier for the canvas guy if he had some sort of drawing to work from or look at

Wow! I like the way these covers go on. Looks a lot better than the snap-on version I have. Well done to Chap on the upgrade!

It would be sweet if these were also made available for older boats too. WITH A LOGO ON THEM ALSO! :D

And a Owner's Flag!

Webbie:

would it be possible to get the drawing for the new style of canvas for the 290? i have an 2005 and in 2006 Chap went to the canvas attached to the arch and a square back. the canvas for the 2005 hooks to the iside of the cockpit which allows water to come in and has a back piece that take two men and a small boy to install. i would like to replace my canvas but think it would be easier for the canvas guy if he had some sort of drawing to work from or look at

George - I just had mine redone this past Fall for the same reasons you mentioned. Here's how mine looks now:

100_1754.jpg

100_1753.jpg

All three sections in the back join with zippers, and all have bug screen inserts - something our old setup didn't have. Very easy now for setup and takedown, bimini section aft of the arch folds into a boot approximately over the transom. It's incredible how much more room we have on deck now...

Good luck!

i have seen your signiture picture. it looks great and very functional. my thought is that with the drawing, the canvas guy may have a better idea of what i'm asking for and an easier time of fabricating the tubing and canvas. thanks for the additional pictures. it look like you got a great job.

Somebody needs to teach Chaparral how to block a boat!! The pictures have center blocks under the stern, I hope that is not at the factory :o

Seamus, I like the straight back camper so much better than the sport canvas that came with my 2005 270 signature. The other guy was right on that its a pain in the you know what to take on and off. With the curved back you lose some room on the interior also. Was your older canvass also curved and if so were you able to fold the bimini to the middle of the boat like most other canvas's

Seamus, I like the straight back camper so much better than the sport canvas that came with my 2005 270 signature. The other guy was right on that its a pain in the you know what to take on and off. With the curved back you lose some room on the interior also. Was your older canvass also curved and if so were you able to fold the bimini to the middle of the boat like most other canvas's

Puff - yeah, the prior canvas was the curved back one, with the top of the canvas running under and inside the arch. As I've mentioned in previous posts, bad design and prone to leaks, soaking my rugs on deck. The back support poles forming the curve had the quick release pins both top and bottom, and I would store them along the shelf in the forward berth down below when not in use. On either cooler days, or questionable weather days, I would typically leave the front eisenglass attached, and the bimini fully deployed. Sometimes I would fold the bimini to the arch, both from the front and back.

It's amazing how much more room we have with our new canvas arrangement. We really love it!

Puff - yeah, the prior canvas was the curved back one, with the top of the canvas running under and inside the arch. As I've mentioned in previous posts, bad design and prone to leaks, soaking my rugs on deck. The back support poles forming the curve had the quick release pins both top and bottom, and I would store them along the shelf in the forward berth down below when not in use. On either cooler days, or questionable weather days, I would typically leave the front eisenglass attached, and the bimini fully deployed. Sometimes I would fold the bimini to the arch, both from the front and back.

It's amazing how much more room we have with our new canvas arrangement. We really love it!

Seamus, when you folded the bimini to the arch did it get secured with anything (i.e. straps ,cover).

As I am not to happy with the functionality of the canvas its still in pretty good shape & financially I can wait!!!lol P.S. Its such a pain to take that canvas on and off..

Seamus, when you folded the bimini to the arch did it get secured with anything (i.e. straps ,cover).

As I am not to happy with the functionality of the canvas its still in pretty good shape & financially I can wait!!!lol P.S. Its such a pain to take that canvas on and off..

Yeah, there was a boot that would wrap around the folded bimini, just underneath the Arch. Definitely was a pain to take the whole structure off - would avoid that if at all possible. If you don't have a boot, I'm sure a local canvas place can manufacture one for you with Sunbrella fabric.

Yeah, there was a boot that would wrap around the folded bimini, just underneath the Arch. Definitely was a pain to take the whole structure off - would avoid that if at all possible. If you don't have a boot, I'm sure a local canvas place can manufacture one for you with Sunbrella fabric.

Did the boot wrap arounf the folded bimini and was it secured by velcro? I ask that because the boat also came with a mooring cover that is in a black duffle bag. Inside the bag was a pice of canvas that I have no idea what its used for . I believe it has velcro on it. Could this be the boot?

Did the boot wrap arounf the folded bimini and was it secured by velcro? I ask that because the boat also came with a mooring cover that is in a black duffle bag. Inside the bag was a pice of canvas that I have no idea what its used for . I believe it has velcro on it. Could this be the boot?

Not sure, our's had zippers...

George - I just had mine redone this past Fall for the same reasons you mentioned. Here's how mine looks now:

100_1754.jpg

100_1753.jpg

All three sections in the back join with zippers, and all have bug screen inserts - something our old setup didn't have. Very easy now for setup and takedown, bimini section aft of the arch folds into a boot approximately over the transom. It's incredible how much more room we have on deck now...

Good luck!

Where did you have your top made? I live in New York and would love a top made correctly like yours.

Where did you have your top made? I live in New York and would love a top made correctly like yours.

Same here.

I would like to know where you had the top made?

Did the boot wrap around the folded bimini and was it secured by velcro? I ask that because the boat also came with a mooring cover that is in a black duffle bag. Inside the bag was a pice of canvas that I have no idea what its used for . I believe it has velcro on it. Could this be the boot?

Our 2005 Sig 290 has the rear curved camper canvas and really easy to use or store behind couch. Regarding the extra canvas in your storage bag, after two years I discovered that while living aboard in our slip, that it's a privacy canvas… attaching to the inside of your existing rear canvas. It works great with two tie straps and velcro to the sides. If you have a lot of dock traffic, it works great. Our folded Bimini canvas has a full zipper and cool logo… works great too!

Sorry - never posted where I had the camper top made! I had it custom made through Village Canvas Shop in Lake George, http://www.villagecanvasshop.com

Great workmanship, very pleased with it.

Dave has always done top-notch work! Dare say best in the biz....... in our area for sure

Does anyone know how I can get my hands on the instruction to fold the back (and front if possible but not necessary) bimini top in place on a 2010 276SSX? I bought the boat used and I'm not sure if I was supposed to get some instructions with the package I got but didn't anyway.

Yesterday I spent a good hour and a half trying to figure out how to fold back the stainless steel tubes towards the arch WITH the bimini top still on it and get the boot cover around it and I think I got it but it still doesn't seem right. Not sure which zippers to unzip and which snaps (although I think you have to take off all the snaps) and which Velcro, tube ties to unhook and how (or if there is a way) to properly fold the bimini top as you fold the tubes towards the radar arch in order for the bimini & SS poles to properly fit into that boot cover.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

On 1/22/2009 at 9:10 AM, Chaparral Web Team said:

I will add these as I get them. We do not have access to historical instructions so this will be more of a 'moving forward' area.

2009 Sunesta Mooring Cover Installation

I have a 2013 and appears the cover has not changed. I have been looking for these instructions and while I have been able to get it on it is always a "pain in the $^&". This shows I was making it harder than it needs to be. Although doing this while the boat is dry docked vs. on a lift in the water is much simpler.