DAWG

WE HAVE A NEW 276 SSX WITH ARCH

15 posts in this topic

WE HAVE A NEW 276 SSX WITH ARCH AND CANT SEEM TO FIGURE OUT HOW THE BIMINI FOLDES UP

WHEN NOT IN USE. ON A BOAT LIKE THIS SHOULDNT IT COME WITH A BOOT? CALLED MY SALES PERSON

AND HIS RESPONSE WAS JUST DISCONNECT THE WHOLE FRAME? THIS CANT BE CORRECT WAY.

IM OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS

Hey Dawg-

I was told when I took delivery of my 276 that the bimini top is a permanent fixture, and doesn't fold up. The only way is to remove it completely. Then you have to deal with the horrible whistling which about drove me nuts on my run back to my dock. Let me know if its a big project. I have yet to put mine on. Happy boating!

When I received my 276 we immediatly took off the bimini, because the numbers of times we would be using the ski tow would certainly out weigh the number of times we would be using the bimini. Right now my dealer is working to come up with a solution for the whistling, when I do get it fixed I will report back.

When I received my 276 we immediatly took off the bimini, because the numbers of times we would be using the ski tow would certainly out weigh the number of times we would be using the bimini. Right now my dealer is working to come up with a solution for the whistling, when I do get it fixed I will report back.

Easy fix for the whistling is for insert a length of 1/4" nylon rope into the track and tie a knot on each end. I have done it and it works great. I however don't pull from my tower anymore and much perfer the top staying up. I love the fact that you can tow the boat with the top in place.

WE HAVE A NEW 276 SSX WITH ARCH AND CANT SEEM TO FIGURE OUT HOW THE BIMINI FOLDES UP

WHEN NOT IN USE. ON A BOAT LIKE THIS SHOULDNT IT COME WITH A BOOT? CALLED MY SALES PERSON

AND HIS RESPONSE WAS JUST DISCONNECT THE WHOLE FRAME? THIS CANT BE CORRECT WAY.

IM OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS

We feel your pain. We picked up our boat last July and immediately found the same problem. We ended up collapsing the top as much as we could and tied a couple staps around the top so my kids could wakeboard in the morning. Then we would put the top back in place and head out on the lake for the rest of the day. This is a major pain but short of taking it off I haven't found a better way.

Other than that issue, we love the boat.

Easy fix for the whistling is for insert a length of 1/4" nylon rope into the track and tie a knot on each end. I have done it and it works great. I however don't pull from my tower anymore and much perfer the top staying up. I love the fact that you can tow the boat with the top in place.

Thanks for the tip. I took the top off at the end of the last season and will be heading down to the lake next weekend for our first outing. Wasn't planning on replacing the top so I may have to pick up some rope to take with me.

We feel your pain. We picked up our boat last July and immediately found the same problem. We ended up collapsing the top as much as we could and tied a couple staps around the top so my kids could wakeboard in the morning. Then we would put the top back in place and head out on the lake for the rest of the day. This is a major pain but short of taking it off I haven't found a better way.

Other than that issue, we love the boat.

OK, just saw that this post is from 2007. Just ignore me.

I'm a huge Chapy fan but Chapy needs to look at the competition ( Regal ) as far as the arch is concerned. They have the best idea going. The bimini stows neatly away and you can lower the arch while trailering and mooring.

http://s1017.photobucket.com/albums/af291/cdmm151/

Okay.... My arch folds like that, and the top does collaspe and stow too. And it is an 07.

congrats on your new 276 ssx, i have a 2008 256 ssi with arch and tops both tops have a boot to hold em and trackson arch with inserts that lock in,boots attach to insertswith a little play, i had some sleeves made to get more supportand it helps. as far as your dealer goes sounds like he does not know or does not care u should have boots and sleeves that slide in track

I have a 2008 SSi 275 with the same issue. As I understand it the early models had the fixed top (no folding or boot) which was later changed due to owner complaints to a folding version. Haven't looked into a conversion possibility or cost. We leave the top up and as a result have never used the arch tow pylon. Too bad Chap didn't think this through from the get-go.

I have a 2008 SSi 275 with the same issue. As I understand it the early models had the fixed top (no folding or boot) which was later changed due to owner complaints to a folding version. Haven't looked into a conversion possibility or cost. We leave the top up and as a result have never used the arch tow pylon. Too bad Chap didn't think this through from the get-go.

Experience is a great teacher. Good news is that they identified the concern and corrected. Unfortunate it wasn't done before production, but...

73015SAN.jpg

Interesting topic and timely. I have a new 276SSX and boat in Texas. I like shade in the summer especially for the kids. I also liked the arch configuration for 264 Sunesta Extreme I had last year; you can tow from the back of the arch stucture and still have the bimini deployed, in fact you don't have a choice as the bimini structure is permanant welded aluminum tubes.

So I got to thinking which usually makes my checking account quiver. I called Jay Kay manufacturing who makes the arches for these boats. Turns out that the Sunest 284 arch is the extact arch for 276SSX except it has the extra welded leading and trailing edge arch structure for the tow hook, speakers and a permnant bimini sturucture - not collapsible.

Aside from the logistical issues of swapping the arch, I am pretty sure I am going to buy that arch and have it mounted. Been going back and forth with the engineers at Jay Kay and they are friendly and helpful. Trying to decide the best way to get the new arch togethe with the boat.

As such, if someone has the need for a brand new collapsible arch for 276SSX (painted black) ping me. I'll post some pics of the new arch shortly.