Jack Black

How many of you actually attach

70 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the lanyard kill switch?

• Yes
    • No

How many of you actually attach the kill switch in your boat when it is under power and in your control? Have you tested it lately? I went boating in Port Charlotte, Florida last week. We fished in the bay several days. One day the Captain accidently pulled the kill switch attached to his leg and the boat kept moving. It seemed the kill switch had gotton rusty. Please note: I was not on a Chaparral boat...

Comments...

John

I'll have to admit I don't use the lanyard connection.

Using it is the safer bet and I may one day regret not using it.

Then again, I might just talk myself into using it. ;)

It depends on the weather and the water conditions for me. If it's bouncy then YES I put it on, but mostly no I do not. I do check to ensure that it works once in a while, and from now on it's the first thing I check when the boat won't start.

Nope, never hook it up. IMHO it is not needed on a big cruiser, since the chances of getting my fat rear thrown out of the boat is small. That is unless I were to say something about the Admiral's! :tofunny:

I use the kill switch lanyard when I remember, but always if the water is rough, which is rare in our lake. Unless Phil comes cruising by; then that wake is HUGE and the lanyard is a must!

Just kidding Phil ;)

unfortunately, when it gets rough out the pfd's get put on and the lanyard gets attached.

nice weather ,no

I tie it around the dog. If I go in the water, she always follows shortly after.

Wingnut

P8080029.jpg

Our sales guy down played it during our "get to know your boat" afternoon of cruising.....his words..."There is no way you will end up in the drink on this lake while you are properly operating this boat." I guess as long as I "properly operate" and everyone else "properly operates" then we are okay....having said that...the kill switch lanyard is designed for when things are not done properly, when mistakes are made, or when accidents happen.....I think we will get into the habit of using it......that is until we move up to a cruiser......or as others have said.....my a*& gets too fat to be tossed.....whichever comes first.... :tofunny:

My friends Jimmy Beam, Johnny walker, and Jack Daniels disagree!

Those friends are not around when the boat is moving, so they can not disagree!

Only when PFDs are mandatory; lanyard is attached then. By then I am already PO'd that I put myself in the situation.

I'm really surprised to see the tally on this poll. :unsure:

I figured for sure, that there'd be more, by-the-book safety conscious Chappy's out there. :mellow:

There might be less risk on bigger boats. I tend to stay out of rough situations...the wife mandates this! :o

I will admit to never using it.

I will admit to never using it.

Only once in fresh waters. Lake Powell, June 06, winds went from calm to 40+ with heavy showers and lightning. I was 20 miles out. Vests on, lanyard connected, hugged the lee bank (rocks), and considered all options. Don't care to do it again.

I have never used one. Mine does get tested occassionally, but it's usually when one of my kids "accidentally" flips it.

Test mine every few months when I am doing maintenence.

Quick test: Key in off position, flip kill switch to kill position , turn key to on position (do not start engine), no power audible sound from fuel pump and 5 second beep. Flip kill switch on, beep and fuel pump sound heard.

If I am at the lake or at home on the muffs and doing this test, I check it by starting the engine and then flipping the switch.

I use it if conditions get dicey. Usually leave before weather turns or find a cove and sit it out. Try not to get caught out in the storm. Monsoon storms sometimes sneak up on us.

Here I am testing it underway on a (substitute boat brand you dislike here) . Lanyard appears to be yanking me down as kill switch is jammed :boating:

Never, its more of a prank think, friend goes in restaurant friend flip switch. Then make sure everybody leaves dock before the victim (can’t) start his. :tofunny:

Soomhow I'm always the victim............... <_<

First thing I check most times......... :rolleyes:

I use mine religiliously on the rare occasion I'm alone on the boat. Even so, I've been known to attach it if conditions get stormy, crowded, etc. . . . Easy. On those occasions, I do it for my passengers, not me.

I think most folks forget it's even there. (Like fire extinguishers).

Most of the adverse situations we may find ourselves in will not be of our own making . . . I try to think accordingly.

Good poll

K

I wanted to add something here about the use of a lanyard. it is not just for whan (if) you fall of the boat, but also IF YOU JUST FALL. Consider any situation which might cause you to stumble; if you get knocked away from the wheel and can't recover right away it's best the boat stalls. Another question: how many of you leave the helm for any reason WITHOUT shutting down? Yes, I'm guilty, while at SLOW speed in open water for a moment, but still proabably not a good idea. :rolleyes:

Good poll. My boat's kill switch was replaced by a toggle by the previous owner, therefore never use. I am considering replacing it with a proper kill switch for rough conditions, otherwise I would probably not use it either (having that option that is.)

Nope, never hook it up. IMHO it is not needed on a big cruiser, since the chances of getting my fat rear thrown out of the boat is small. That is unless I were to say something about the Admiral's! :tofunny:

now that will get you thrown out.

Admittedly, I never use mine.

Somebody told me something once that I always remembered which reinforced my belief not to use it.......now this may not be true, so this is a good place to bring this up.....

I was told that if you are cruizing at a decent speed and you intentionally or accidentally kill the boat engine with that switch, there's a good chance you'll draw water into parts of the engine that shouldn't see water.

Since I'm a fair-weather Lake boater, I've never felt the need for the lanyard, but it would be a different story if I boated on the seas. And I know I would be more likely to forget the lanyard was attached and reach to grab something and accidentally yank it out. The sudden drop in speed should that happen, in my opinion, would be more likely to cause injury to me and my passengers.

What do you guys think?