Jack Black

How many of you actually attach

72 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the lanyard kill switch?

• Yes
    • No

I have added something that I like no teather, I saw this on Shipshape tv and really like the idea of no teather but still having a kill switch, you can move around with no problem.

http://www.autotether.com/

Nope, never used the kill switch. As a matter of fact, the lanyard to the kill switch holds the spare keys to the boat, which are in my service guy's shop. I would have to work very hard to get tossed out of a Sig 290.

Always when I am in my dink. Never on the Signature cruiser. I did not even get a lanyard when I purchased the boat.

Used to use it on previous (256 SSi) boat, but don't use it on the 280......with the free board on the 280 if I get tossed out, it's because I put myself into a really bad situation and probably deserve to get tossed out.

Used to use it on previous (256 SSi) boat, but don't use it on the 280......with the free board on the 280 if I get tossed out, it's because I put myself into a really bad situation and probably deserve to get tossed out.

My thoughts exactly-If I'm getting tossed around in my boat or in desperate need to have a lanyard-killing the motors is probably the least of my problems.

If I were in very rough waters, I would use it. but I'm on a lake. Never gets that rough.

Working at Lake Mead, There's all kinds of reasons for not wearing the lanyard. Especially the ones where people are running at night, hit a wake and get tossed - I love the comment, we watched the boat just keep going.....do you know where our boats at... :unsure: Or my child fell overboard, I was in such a panic that I just forgot to shutdown and jumped in to save them - I noticed that my boat was doing circles and it almost got us several times. Or I just left the helm long enough to grab my hat which had blown to the back of the boat, and the next thing, I was bouncing off the swim step, and doing summersaults across the water - Buy the time my wife saw it happen, she could not see me in the water anymore - it took her at least 5 min to come get me. We wear the auto lanyards on our life jackets, so if anyone on the Patrol boat goes over, it's kills the engine. It's bad enough to try and get ahold of a boat with a dead engine - let alone one with spiral death circle looking for floaters.....

:beat-dead-horse:

post-3791-1241460328_thumb.jpg

Sp2 Mike

Working at Lake Mead, There's all kinds of reasons for not wearing the lanyard. Especially the ones where people are running at night, hit a wake and get tossed - I love the comment, we watched the boat just keep going.....do you know where our boats at... :unsure: Or my child fell overboard, I was in such a panic that I just forgot to shutdown and jumped in to save them - I noticed that my boat was doing circles and it almost got us several times. Or I just left the helm long enough to grab my hat which had blown to the back of the boat, and the next thing, I was bouncing off the swim step, and doing summersaults across the water - Buy the time my wife saw it happen, she could not see me in the water anymore - it took her at least 5 min to come get me. We wear the auto lanyards on our life jackets, so if anyone on the Patrol boat goes over, it's kills the engine. It's bad enough to try and get ahold of a boat with a dead engine - let alone one with spiral death circle looking for floaters.....

:beat-dead-horse:

post-3791-1241460328_thumb.jpg

Sp2 Mike

Interesting.....how do these work?

If your asking about the Auto Lanyards - Their set up in pairs or you can order as many for one unit. It ties into your existing ing system, and has a by-pass switch as well, so if somebody besides the driver falls in, you have the ability to hit the by-pass to start the engine. I've included a web-site, although the we use a different model for the Park boats. I'll look to see if I can find the units we use.

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/autotether.html

SP2 Mike :pirate:

Great discussion, and as generally true, I've learned something from the gaggle.

I don't ever use it. But I DO make sure I have a spare on the boat. With kids around, they like to play with the whistle. The next thing you know, after sitting on the beach for a while, your engine won't start and the 3-year is not about to tell you what he did with it.

I don't ever use it. But I DO make sure I have a spare on the boat. With kids around, they like to play with the whistle. The next thing you know, after sitting on the beach for a while, your engine won't start and the 3-year is not about to tell you what he did with it.

A very valid point. Makes me think that I should have a spare on board. Hmmm.

Now watch, Joe from Cecil Marine will have a run on ordering extra lanyards for our boats. :lol:

Good poll. My boat's kill switch was replaced by a toggle by the previous owner, therefore never use. I am considering replacing it with a proper kill switch for rough conditions, otherwise I would probably not use it either (having that option that is.)

OK I was wrong about the toggle, it is actually stock. I have a Quicksilver 3000 shifter witht he "off/run) toggle on it.

My son passed his boater safety course and of course is now wanting to drive the boat. I had him drive on the lake this weekend, and he did great, but he is not even 90 pounds yet and thouht I better get a lanyard for him at least. I bought one of those universal ones and want to make sure I am using it correctly. It shows a loop to be the one for the Mercurys. It seems to work, just not designed like I would think it should. Is this correct for my set up?

never have put it on! IMHO- if it's soooo choppy that I need to wear a device that cuts the motor if I'm thrown overboard- we will not be on the boat in the first place that day! :boating:

I'll have to admit I don't use the lanyard connection.

Using it is the safer bet and I may one day regret not using it.

Then again, I might just talk myself into using it. ;)

Ditto for me- nice to see your post

When I'm alone I use it, when the lake is crowded (there's always at least one BWI out there) or when the weather dictates. otherwise, I'm not tethered. Great questions..

I have never used one. Mine does get tested occassionally, but it's usually when one of my kids "accidentally" flips it.

+1 on the kids making sure it works. Went to start my engine several weeks ago and finally after turning it over several times realized that one of them had flipped it off. Started right up like normal. Now I always check it before starting.

Test it every year but don't attach it to vest unless we are offshore and the waves are 6-10 feet. Then I yell at myself for putting us in that situation.

Saul ;)

How many of you actually attach the kill switch in your boat when it is under power and in your control? Have you tested it lately? I went boating in Port Charlotte, Florida last week. We fished in the bay several days. One day the Captain accidently pulled the kill switch attached to his leg and the boat kept moving. It seemed the kill switch had gotton rusty. Please note: I was not on a Chaparral boat...

Comments...

John

You knotty man, not on a Chaparral!!!!

I boat on lake Michigan. When in the harbor or on the river I don't use it. When I get out a bit on longer trips I will use it. When the kids are driving = always! I like the wireless idea!!!!! Thanks for the information!

Don't often wear the lanyard , but check the kill switch and automatic bilge pump few times a year. Would rather not have a problem while having a problem. :Twocents::boating: