Sign in to follow this  
chantillycpl

QUOTE (Hank @ Jan 12 2010,

We are considering a pre-retirement move to Florida's Gulf Coast. The "canal communities" of Marco Island, Punta Gorda, Port Royal, Fort Myers are in our sights. Anyone have experience living in these types of areas? Bring on the +s and -s. Open to a Single Family Home with a private dock or Condo/Townhouse with onsite marina. Not interested in 55+ communities.

Thanks in advance for your input!

The "canal communities" of Marco Island, Punta Gorda, Port Royal, Fort Myers are in our sights.

I wish you luck there, others have had those communities in their sights also in the past.

hurricanes.jpg

I wish you luck there, others have had those communities in their sights also in the past.

hurricanes.jpg

Yeah, we lived in Charleston, SC for several years, so we are used to boarding up, etc. Besides, these days, dodging storms is a lot easier than getting through northern Virginia traffic!!!

When my dad's parents were living they lived in punta gorda in the winter months. They liked it.

The weather will certainly be easier on you and most definitely the traffic is better than in northern VA around the DC hub.

One consideration you might look into just a bit more is how to insure your home. Right now it is my understanding that the insurance there is funded by the state and that the next big blow that comes through could bankrupt the state from claims. Something for you to look into more closely anyway.

I have a lot in Cape Coral that we have not yet built on and this is the main reason. I am thinking a floating home (400!) is the way to have a home in Florida. Thinking that way anyway.

Let us know what you decide.

I am thinking a floating home (400!) is the way to have a home in Florida. Thinking that way anyway.

Let us know what you decide.

The Admiral has issued a decree that a floating home must be in the Motor Yacht class >40'. Note to Chaparral engineers: start working on a clone of the Carver 41 or 46 MY.

The Admiral has issued a decree that a floating home must be in the Motor Yacht class >40'. Note to Chaparral engineers: start working on a clone of the Carver 41 or 46 MY.

You never know. Do the math and see how if works. Maybe the Carver 46MY would be less costly that a home....and portable.

The Admiral and I almost bought a house in Punta Gorda, but decided that the timing was not quite right. A little bit after the decision, a hurracane blew through the area, and distroyed the house we were looking at.....and they say timing is everything....

I am thinking a floating home (400!) is the way to have a home in Florida. Thinking that way anyway.

With a really nice garage for it..... :scratchchin:

With a really nice garage for it..... :scratchchin:

I would go for that! Actually my sister has a home in Florida on the water, so we would likely tie up to her dock while we are in FL. I might have to build a boat house for the 400 though to protect my investment. :)

I would go for that! Actually my sister has a home in Florida on the water, so we would likely tie up to her dock while we are in FL. I might have to build a boat house for the 400 though to protect my investment. :)

28,000 lifting capacity probably needed for a 400...lots of deer. Isn't boat-investment an oxymoron?

28,000 lifting capacity probably needed for a 400...lots of deer. Isn't boat-investment an oxymoron?

It's all perspective! :blink::wacko::slap:

Yes it is. However, we "invest" anyway for happiness. So, we invest for happiness and buy a boat or two or ...

I live right on a canal right on Tampa Bay, lots of open bay water 2 minutes away, the open gulf is 25 minutes away, as is the intercoastal thru St. Pete. Tampa hasn't had a major hurricane in over 100 yrs, they have to go west then swing back east in the gulf which is pretty rare. I was in Georgia when they got pummeled by Fay, TS not hurricane but close enough. The condo complex I live in offers boat slips with or without a lift right out back. Prices for a 2bed/2bath condo with a slip and a lift were over 350k deer 4 yrs ago. You can get that same setup for less than 150k deer now. It's the perfect time to buy, waterfront property in Tampa is hard to come by. Just my 2 cents.

+1 with hjs. Prices are going down, and the canals are everywhere. A lot of short sales are moving houses now, and the prices are finally going down to where they belong, both in Tampa and Myers.

Currently, I live inland and have the boat on a trailer. I have it stored about 10 minutes from the launch in Riverview and if the big storm does come in, I can move it further inland rather quickly. Personally I don't want to be anywhere near the coast (or level 1) areas because of the costs. It is very difficult to get insurance, but the more you move inland, the better it gets.

And you really have to look at those rules some of these communities have. A lot of them have some unrealistic bylaws and old retired coots who miss bossing folks around enforcing them. We had a freeze a few weeks ago, and you know grass turns brown. There are actually some communities that are sending letters out to their homeowners DEMANDING they get their grass green NOW, no matter the cost. I don't know about you, but only time will get it green again. The sad thing is the way some of these bylaws are written, if you don't do what you are told, they will take your house (or put a lien on it that could cost you thousands). Me, I am going to eventually find some land to build my new house, and no idiot will be telling me what I can do with it.