All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. jeffk

Replace Carpet with flexteak flooring

Thats a bit of an expense on 20 year old boat. I put cool teak on my boat, wish I didn't. On a hot sunny day I can sear a steak on it.
  3. jeffk

VP Impeller removal tool?

You can pull one out with a needle nose and do no damage to the impellor. I save mine as spares whenever I change
  4. jeffk

New motor wont start- need advise.

I would try putting some gas in your water separators
  5. jeffk

Fresh water guy looking to the Bahamas??

Go with the fling, not much more than this needs to be done. The bahamas fling arranges for your slip in bimini,if you need a slip at bahia mar thats on you. I found the food to be lacking so brought almost all of or own meals.
  6. Water Dawg 6

New motor wont start- need advise.

Check the fuel system first like Hatem suggested. When you turn the key make sure you hear the fuel pump, ensure you have new filters installed and if your fuel has been sitting in there awhile you might want to treat it. Cleaning those injectors wouldn't hurt either. It sounds like it's getting spark but the timing could be off, but I'd look into that as a last resort and check the obvious possible issues first. Over the years, I've tended to over think things and It's usually something very simple and stupid - like a plug wire not seated properly on a plug or a basic fuel issue as stated above.
  7. Today
  8. Hatem

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/cart/index.php?ID=3843948 .....? Might have to call them to double check the proper thread diameter.
  9. Toddavid

Yep, I own a metal manufacturing firm, in the end I can make this tool.. but: I was hoping someone here could just point me to where to buy the right one for $15.
  10. Hatem

Until you get that bolt and sleeve tool, use a similar threaded carriage bolt, turn it into the threads on the impeller and grab the bolt head with channel locks or pliers and pull it out. Same exact thing as that sleeve except you'll have to use a tiny bit of muscle instead.
  11. Hatem

Ever witness a boating accident?

Yeah these guys are definitely pros! They did the whole thing by the book. Tied off their little boat to a tree first lol (that's smart!) and then went over to the pontoon very slowly because they even considered any waves created by their boat might be enough to push the thing off the edge. But, I thought that concrete edge is what held the pontoon from going over, it wasn't! It was that floating branch to the right of the pontoon that got wedged between the uprights on the side of those half circles and the boat that stopped it! You can see it in that last drone pic and in the thumbnail of this rescue video! Crazy lucky.
  12. Toddavid

Right, but I'm seeking a way that doesn't ruin the rubber. I change it every year, would be nice to have the used one as a back up, especially when the bolt and sleeve style tool I linked too is so cheap. Would be nice to be able to replace in a hurry if needed, too, like if out on the water.
  13. Iggy

Channel locks work great to get it started, than just use your hand to pull it out.
  14. Toddavid

Oh, that's been tried multiple times. Mine sits on the splines tight, only way I've found to get it out is by prying downwards with a flat head screwdriver on the rubber, using the housing as a fulcrum. Not a fan of that method.
  15. TexasPilot71

Sounds like they saved it... https://kfor.com/2019/04/17/photos-pontoon-boat-dangles-off-side-of-north-carolina-dam/
  16. TexasPilot71

Haha...yeah, I saw that one on facebook as it was unfolding. Should have seen all the (good) suggestions on how to rescue it. Sounds like it came untied from its slip somewhere upstream. Never heard if they "rescued" it or not.
  17. TexasPilot71

It kinda surprised me that Navionics uses statute miles. Of course that's the web app. On the chartplotters and their phone/tablet apps, you can change it to nm. Most commercial marine applications use nm. The primary reason to use nm is if you're discussing speed in terms of knots which is far easier to calculate than converting back to sm. I'm accustomed to knots and nm because almost all of aviation is referenced in knots and nm. But of course, that's just me.
  18. Curt

Nothing special needed. Needle nose pliers work well. Grab the base/root of a vane and pull it out.
  19. Hatem

Well, good thing Navionics is listing statute miles, because using nautical miles is goofy IMO. Almost everyone except I suppose all yous pilots is accustomed to statute miles, simply because we travel almost exclusively in them on roads every day. Thank goodness no one decided to come up with a 3rd type of distance calculation and term like "aerial" miles, or something like that, just to convolute things even more! lol. I always think of distances in terms of statute miles and never think of nautical. It's bad enough having to figure out kilometers to miles as it is. Yeah, Google Maps is probably calculating the exact distance from the center of town to center of town, which might account for the 4 mile discrepancy. I just use my GPS to get distances. In the boat or in the truck, they're both pretty spot on.
  20. summerpenguin

Need to sale

Forced? I don't remember. It may have been a condition from the Credit Union, but I was going to do one anyway, which I did. The surveyor found stuff, and the Credit Union wanted to see two of the items fixed, like replace the sea water hose to the toilet (I had the seacock permanently closed instead) and replace the ignition coil ONLY because the surveyor's language in the report said those two items were critical. Had he not said that, I doubt I would have had to fix them before buying. I had to show them that I paid someone to do those things before they would give me the loan.
  21. Toddavid

380hp V8, impeller 21700445, anyone have a link to a non-damaging removal tool? The only one I've seen is an armed puller type that would grab and damage the rubber. There seem to be many variations of this type, which should work with my setup, if I can determine which one matches my diameter and thread pitch. It's flathead screwdriver prying effort every spring to change impellers. http://www.falmouthyachtbrokers.co.uk/shop.aspx?REF=Volvo+Penta+Impeller+Removal+Tools
  22. Hatem

Replace Carpet with flexteak flooring

Is the deck floor wood, or fiberglass? Not sure on 98 models. But if you're ripping it all out, I'm guessing the entire floor is covered, right? So do you plan on re-covering the entire floor with the synthetic teak, or just certain areas? What about the floor if it is wood? You'll have to sand it down really well and glass it and I would even gelcoat it first before installing any new covering. Seal it well and completely beforehand.
  23. Hatem

You never know. You might actually be spot on considering the decisions that were made throughout that whole scene. They're lucky that older fella with the black cap came to their assistance and helped them before it slid further down the ramp and went completely under. The incompetence level was staggering, not to mention that there is a reason why that trailer axle collapsed. That trailer looked awfully flimsy for that boat's weight. If that driver told me it was unsafe to tow the trailer & boat and then water started getting into it like that, who would just unwinch it at that point?!?! I would've been screaming telling the driver to pull right up out of that ramp immediately, lol. Anyway, not sure where or what happened here exactly, but waiting to find out. Until then, got a caption for this? EDIT: Found out it happened around April 14th at Lake Adger dam in NC after severe weather untethered the pontoon boat from its mooring and it drifted to the edge of the dam, just barely getting suck on the concrete edge of the dam. The boat was later rescued before going over by NC wildlife officers.
  24. AquaTherapy

Changing water impellers on Volvos 5.0L GXI

Great shot of the Milwaukee skyline!
  25. montypolk

Corsa Exhaust issues

Cruising in rough water over the weekend and exhaust flapper closed to the hull and will not open with the switch. Does any one know where the fuse is & what amp fuse it is on a 2008 256 SSX? I'm assuming its a fuse since both shut down at the same time? Thank you!
  26. Wingnut

Need to sale

Glad to hear that lenders are accepting older rides as viable collateral. Were you forced to obtain a survey? W
  27. Iggy

NMEA 2000 Engine Gateway

Is your tech square or round? If it's square, you can tap into it with a gateway. If it's round, I don't think you can.
  1. Load more activity