All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Hatem

Lake Powell - Worth it?

Nothing like a Canuck in the desert.
  3. @MonkeySeaII, what are you running for temperature on the 496 High Output?
  4. Hatem

Wiring deutsch 6 pin TCC700 dual tachometer

You should call them and see it they can send you the proper schematic for wiring the old tach. I would tell you to trial ad error but you might fry the old tack in the process. They should help send you what you need but give them as much information as possible so they know what you're dealing with. What model year boat?
  5. Today
  6. Hatem

Looks like water in my lower unit oil

Yeah the dark blue shtuff. That probably ended up being that turquoise color from the water mixing with it.
  7. Hatem

1988 2300SX 5.0 I/O

Well that's good. Sounds like they're going to do it the right way that it should be done. Hence the cost. If you had the time and ability to shore it up on stands carefully and safely, you could do it yourself but it is a SUPER labor-intensive project to get right. Then there is also the sanding of the epoxy fairing that is not just for anyone to do. When you sand a perfectly flat surface like a wall, think of how much of a pain in the asss that is. Now think what it takes to sand the curving shape of a hull! Much more difficult and you need certain flexible tools to sand with and a lot of that needs to be done by hand as well. That is, after all those blisters have been taken care of once and for all and there are A LOT of them. Best of luck and keep us posted on the final results.
  8. Hatem

Fiberglass/gelcoat repair Help Please

That's a hole through and through, bro. Zoom it in and look at it carefully, you can see the woven roving underneath! And the roving is disheveled from whatever impacted and made that hole, sort of pierced it. That needs to be taken care of from the backside first so the filling material has some backing and will last a long time. I would never just fill that with just straight gelcoat lol. If the OP wants to do that, best of luck and in 6 months it'll crack and fall out if it doesn't fall through, especially if he doesn't taper the edges all the way around. Anyway, I've offered my assistance and moving on. Cheers.
  9. yacht1255

Thanks to everyone and the author for the advice.
  10. yogi799

Lake Powell advice

This is where I loved it the most. No time to get further down but this did it for me. My jaw was on the bottom of the lake. I miss it so much already. Another shot of the area, wind has picked up and cloud cover got bigger but wind worried me none... I've been in MUCH bigger waves on Georgian bay so this was a cakewalk... Although, on our way back we caught a ride behind a fantastic Formula cruiser that broke the waves up for us until the cut. Can't see from the vid but that thing must have been 500-800k by my estimation...
  11. yogi799

Lake Powell advice

Ha ha LOL. Yeah, my Flagstaff overnight was a grave mistake LOL. But we did Grand Canyon the day before so Flagstaff was the closest and very affordable. i think Page was a tad more expensive (but in retrospect, it was a stuuuupid decision). Sorry Phil, I only just now saw this post. Email notifications don't send everything i gather... Yes, I would have loved to go further down, omg... But then, the Bayliner 185 I had was a piece of SH%^ and I hated driving it. My 244 is a dream compared to that garbage. But at least they gave me a V6 with a nice swim platform. I probably would have been a terrible guest Phil.. :-) I LOVE stopping literally every 5 minutes for what i call a "quick swim". Because the weather is warm, I get comfy and hot quickly. So i cruise for 5 min, shut of the engine (or not even!), jump into the water and back out and proceed. If you are game with that, I would LOVE to meet up there. I am DEFINITELY coming back, like a million percent! Your help was immense though. I felt so comfortable getting there and doing my thing. SO glad they saved me from backing down the ramp (esp in a uhaul mover with no rearview mirror, just side mirrors!) LOL. I have never seen such a gianormous ramp, size of what... 3 football fields? LOL. What a PAIN in the $^& to have to go get your truck after the day on the water LOL. it is SOO Long you don't know if you should walk and take 20 minutes or run and get sweaty again lol. It was here Phil, yeah, you are right, google says KENT point. https://www.google.com/maps/place/37%C2%B004'33.8%22N+111%C2%B016'36.6%22W/@37.076047,-111.279021,838m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d37.0760465!4d-111.2768272 What a gorgeous place and relatively close to the marina. I ended up burning only 1/4 of a tank or less, exactly 10 gallons....
  12. yogi799

Lake Powell - Worth it?

LOL. Exactly! It is 1100 miles to tow. Omg, that is far. But not that expensive... just did the math, few hundred bucks for towing alone... not too bad. I thought it'd be much more than that.
  13. yogi799

Lake Powell - Worth it?

But the lake is absolutely spectacular. Georgian Bay and Lake Powell IMO are the ONLY two bodies of water that offer spectacular views (if someone is into scenery), well maybe with the exception of British Columbia but there we're talking salt water and floating logs, ugh... Not sure about Alberta and the Rockies but water there is probably ice cold etc... always something...except our two lakes... If I could, I would stay there for 3-4 days as well. I spent 6 hrs on the lake and it was everything I had imagined and more. Just breathtaking and extremely unique scenery, we got out onto some massive walls of rock (150-200 ft high??) and climbed up a bit (even better views), oldest son stayed on the boat as there was nowhere to anchor at that spot. Then we ran down and jumped from the rocks (many places to do that, although signs say 15 ft and higher is prohibited). Phil is a lucky guy to live near that lake. It is pure heaven on earth and the water temperature was perfect for us, not to warm (yet) and definitely not too cold for us (we come from Canada, ok?) LOL Phil, are you from Page ? Since there is no other towns nearby? We slept in Flagstaff and I drove that morning to Page (mistake!!!). Should have stayed overnight (before the rental) in Page, and i SHOULD HAVE listened to your advice to be on the water by 11am rather than 1pm! But 5-6 hrs was still nice. Thank God the rental was extended from 5pm to end of day, ie. whenever. Texas Pilot - trip STRONGLY recommended if you love stunning scenery. I do. So i definitely will return...
  14. josephmartin martin

Wiring deutsch 6 pin TCC700 dual tachometer

Trying to wire up this tach which has 2 , 6 pin Deutsch connectors. My original tach hag 2 flat 6 pin connectors. I’m changing the plugs cause the old tach as discontinued.Anyone know the sequence on the tach how the #’s run on pins 1 thru 6 ? There’s a decal on the tach, which explains each one, but not sure what order they go, clockwise, up and down?
  15. Denny

1988 2300SX 5.0 I/O

My 1985 350/260 Merc carbed, with a 21 pitch SS 4 blade, at about 4100 rpms, top out around 48 mph. That gave me the best performance in all 3 ranges, high med, and low. Along with some over sized Bennett trim tabs. Denny.
  16. gr8lakes

Ignition switch

I replaced an ignition switch this year. The marina ship store had 5 different kinds, all made by Sierra, and one was an exact match. So, it shouldnt be hard to replace.
  17. tcartwri

RPM Gauge

Thanks again - I’m about two weeks out from seeing my boat. Keep her at lake house. I’ll check it out, try the suggestion on switch, and post pictures in two weeks if not able to resolve. You are correct - typically runs 3000 rpm at 30mph. I will be able to tell by feel as per Phillbos post if not running right.
  18. Curt

RPM Gauge

No harm. The important gauges are temperature, speed, volts and trim position. You’ve had your boat for awhile and know at about “x” speed the motor is turning “y” RPM’s. About 30 MPH is about 3,000 RPM on many, but not all. Get your head and hand up under the dash and see if the switch is there. If it is, move it a few times. Always helpful is a post with a picture, or if you remove it, the gauge’s model number. I’m sure someone here will be able to identify it for you. Hard to know if expensive or not until the exact gauge is determined. An alternative, surf eBay or Great Lakes Skipper. Often these sites are helpful. A call to Cecil Marine with the boat’s year, model and serial number might do it as well.
  19. Phillbo

Nice boat. I have a friend that owns one. I have sailed with her in the Sea of Cortez a few times... It's a quality coastal cruiser capable of offshore sailing with some modifications and/or compromises. Storage was the one thing I found lacking.
  20. drewm3i

Hatem we are doing well. In the keys right now living on our 1987 Ericson 38-200. Going to be heading up to Maryland soon. Andy is the man! Way better than me no doubt, but this is no hole, just a gouge through the gelcoat in a non-structural area. This is as simple as filling with gelcoat after sanding to ensure a good bond. The link is for a color matched gelcoat repair paste for chaparral that is simple to use and very high quality for minor damage like this. Just mix, apply, sand and polish to a high gloss finish! Very easy and a proper repair. https://www.iboats.com/shop/spectrum-color-chaparral-2000-2015-mission-white-color-boat-gel-coat-patch-paste-repair-kit-f559257ak.html
  21. Phillbo

Progressive Insurace

I had Progressive for a while. My lake does not have Seatow or Boat USA so they would cover the cost from the local marina service.
  22. Phillbo

RPM Gauge

I run my boat by feel... I can tell if I'm running the right RPM without looking at the gauge.
  23. Yesterday
  24. Hatem

Hey buddy, where you been? Long time no hear? Hope all is well. You got a sailboat, now? Maybe our trip down to Florida with the 276 will be even more exciting now if you wanna get together. How are your sailing skills? What size boat and type etc.? Fill us in. Well, so isn't the 9mm bullet hole Andy put through that piece of fiberglass panel he's working with in those video series and he shows how to correctly fix it permanently and not with some quick patcharooni scalabrooni. And look closely at the damage to the OPs boat, that shattered all the way through the thickness of the fiberglass, leaving the roving weaving below exposed. That means the back of that surface needs to be secured in order to keep whatever surface patch that is put on the top from cracking again or even falling through. Plus he mentioned he wanted to match the color, which means there's a bit of gelcoat work to consider. If it was only a surface ding, it would be much easier but that is a thru-hole with flaking material next to it. If he want it done right, he should follow those instruction by Andy who's 2nd to none. If he want a quick patch that'll be close enough and no guarantee to last, the sky's the limit with all sorts of crappy and halfasss crappy patch kits. What is that? Link isn't working.
  25. tcartwri

RPM Gauge

Thanks to all for the guidance. Blown away by the highly collaborative chap community. My chap is a 2005 ssi 190 with the mercruiser alpha 6 cylinder carburetor - about 120 hours and gently used by me. I’ll check the cylinder switch if equipped with one and also the wiring. Tapping in to the ECM will require some additional skill so will research further. My understanding is the temp is the critical gauge to watch for overheating - if the rpm guage is not working is there any risk to not repairing/replacing and living with it?
  26. Trying to wire up this tach which has 2 , 6 pin Deutsch connectors. My original tach hag 2 flat 6 pin connectors. I’m changing the plugs cause the old tach as discontinued.Anyone know the sequence on the tach how the #’s run on pins 1 thru 6 ? There’s a decal on the tach, which explains each one, but not sure what order they go, clockwise, up and down?
  27. SST

Looks like water in my lower unit oil

I have no idea what he used. I checked the billing and it wasn't listed. The new stuff I put in is quicksilver 90. Dark blue.
  28. drewm3i

Hatem my friend, this is a small repair . OP, check this out: LUQ3IX6j9sAIMmRtI__kW3oDZB3ExoCKXEQAvD_BwE Simply, grind it out a bit with a Drexel, tape it off, mix it properly and apply. Then come back and sand/wet sand it smooth and buff it out. Very easy.
  1. Load more activity