All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Iggy

Portable Battery Pack

Now I don't under stand what a NEMA2k network has to do with reading your voltage. Our Garmin units could and can read the voltage with or with out a network. So you didn't know how.............. I don't know your setup, on that point your right, But you said "actually never used my shore power all season this year," Which goes back to my point on my last post and BT even say that your Alt. will not fully charge them. But I just want new boaters to know that there are better ways to do things. So no its about you, your not that special. But I enjoy all the facts you use to back your self up on how you do things. As in, "its getting old, do everyone a favor, despite your wishing, Are you watching, stick to the topic" and "making such a big deal" Are all good points to back up on how you do things. OR why its good or bad to jump other boats the way you do which is the topic. Oh, I would have to agree with Phillbo on has last post too.
  3. Phillbo

Portable Battery Pack

Sorry, I had to chuckle ... You make it about you. You come of as a narcissist. And long winded....
  4. I'm curious as to what you are going to find out. That was on a Mercruiser that I used to own and it was the water pressure sensor that was in the power steering cooler. I don't think my Volvo has a oil temp senor, but honestly I haven't even pulled that field up to test it. I think you are right on the fuel. I think a NMEA fuel level sender is going to be needed.
  5. Yesterday
  6. Phillbo

Anyone have 297SSX hydraulic swim platform photos?

I think it's a stupid idea all around....
  7. Phillbo

Beaching Questions

7 years of beaching my cruiser 40 nights a year and no damage to the gelcoat so far. The beach is typically calm though until a wake boat decides to set up a track behind us and even then no damage to the gelcoat.
  8. CraigD

1996 Chaparral 1930 SST

The photo is blurry. Can you resend? Thanks.
  9. cyclops2

Portable Battery Pack

If the volt meter is accurate to the tenths of a volt ? That is a good indication of percentage of power left in it. A 12 .7 volt reading is very good after a charging done 24 or more hours earlier.
  10. Toddavid

Obviously my comments weren’t directed at you, but at the factory. Interesting to hear that Cobalt’s design requires the drive to be fully trimmed down. Indeed, first I’m hearing about that. And I was aware that Searay violated their patent, but does their version also require full trim down? How about Regal’s? They all sit so far aft on the platform they looked to clear the drive altogether. And there is more than one way to back into shallow water without trimming into trailering zone. Once it’s that shallow, you can walk the boat in with your engine off and drive trimmed up. Regardless of the drive trimming aspect, the over-complication, cost, and sacrifice of remaining exposed swim platform makes me think they went to far too try to force this mega-yacht feature onto a bow rider. I predict they will be the first and last to do it, and it won’t last more than a couple years as an option in their lineup.
  11. Toddavid

Beaching Questions

Keel guard or bottom paint, I would understand beaching. Having neither on my boat, I won’t do it. Imagine coarse sandpaper rubbing back and forth on the gelcoat of your bow, same idea as the boat moves with wakes and waves. Do that over and over and the gel coat wears away and starts exposing the fiberglass below.
  12. If you look close enough, you can see it says the whole word "Gasoline" before the Diesel. I'm headed to the marina now to see if I plug in the 103 gallons, then fill in the rest of the menus if the Gas PSI shows up. I'm thinking ot probably won't, only because the current sender is reaching an analogue gauge. The fuel flow sensor is feeding a digital smartcraft gauge so that's why that's working. So I'm thinking that's a fail about to happen and will have to figure out whether adding a separate digital sensor for the gas would be worth it. The other one I thought was oil level is actually oil temperature, (duh, it shows a clear F for farenheit) which should be reading off the oil cooler, right? Kinda like what you mentioned earlier on the oil PSI I think you were getting that info from there. Thinking that's also the same issue with analogue vs digital?
  13. Jminz

How would you address this leak?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10_LhX5A0njqTpVU9k3tbdNz6kykmB4eV/view?usp=drivesdk https://drive.google.com/file/d/10Af4SIZ0MGdtzaVh8Zr5TQ7md10mr0pS/view?usp=drivesdk https://drive.google.com/file/d/10RvfcMSXy-GpVB_w-4f_tTNY3kxlyOT5/view?usp=drivesdk
  14. Jminz

How would you address this leak?

I took pics but I'll need to figure out how to post them on here. After the season is over I am going to bring the boat home and have my local and trusted mechanic take a look. There are a lot of people around here that will do the work but none that I have a history with enough to know they are being honest. He's also happens to be a chaparral dealer. So he'll hopefully know more about the core you've referenced. If I'm able to dry out the transom will I still be fighting a rot issue assuming its wood? Can I keep an eye on the crack and it it worsens or if the mount begins to say can I address it then?
  15. dan02gt

Beaching Questions

This is pretty much what I do. I had a Keel Guard installed on my old boat and would occasionally beach it. The way I would do it is trim in engine into shallow water mode when the water got less than 3', then cut the engine 50' out completely and trim it fully up. The boat would easily slide up on the sand beach. Leaving I would push the boat off the beach, and push it out a decent distance from shore. Then jump in and fire it up. I will not be beaching the Chaparral. For one thing it's heavy enough that I'm scared that I might not be able to push it off if the tide drops lol.
  16. Hatem

Portable Battery Pack

Not a good way to do what, exactly check voltage level? That's all I'm doing and what's wrong with looking at your battery gauge every once in a while? It's actually a good thing. Who cares? That's his problem. The important thing is that jumping him got him home 70 miles offshore. That was the point and I really dont think there's a need to make a mountain out of a molehill, AGAIN! Oh and this was no pos SeaRay either and I've pulled my F450 with its massive dual battery set up and jumped my own dead Interstate batteries on my boat a couple years ago. So making such a big deal out of this is just ridiculous. I already said, no one has to do it and buy a battery pack if that's what you want. I'm not talking you out of it. Lol, crazy. You could never possibly know that. Are you watching if I'm checking them periodically with my voltmeter from Winthrop? Or now that I have them set up on my NMEA2K and I can keep an eye on them and they're reading 12.76vt almost all the time? I think my alternator is doing just fine. Again, you don't know my setup and this has nothing to do with subject at hand. Stick to topic instead of making this about me. My batteries are talking just fine especially now and they seem to be doing pretty well despite what you're wishing for and obviously you have no idea how my charger is set up which is pretty clear since it had all 3 batteries topped off perfectly while being plugged into that same shore power connector all winter long and they were in the boat!! Lol. Do everyone a favor and stop making up any form of criticism just to direct toward me. It's really getting old.
  17. summerx

First Boat, First Car

yep, mine was a red 350 with T-tops. I traded it in on a grand prix GTP, that was a supercharged beast. I loved that one as well!
  18. B_Mutter

O-Ring Part number

If you remove the 3 screws from the sloped cover you will have found the shift mechanism and next to it a large flat head screw. That is the vent. You should know where this is when you are filling the drive. You fill from the bottom until it comes out of this hole. Put the screw back in and wait a few minutes and then check the dipstick. You should be about 1/4-1/2 up on the flat portion. That is proper level.. not all the way up to the top of the flat.
  19. B_Mutter

Please don't take that the wrong way.. My boating has changed from when I was a single guy to now having a 7 yr old girl and 3 year old boy. We rock a tritoon on the lake for the pure fact that it is like driving our living room around with enough space for all their stuff. If we went saltwater again we would need a 297 or larger to have that kind of space for a stuff and passengers. We have average 6-8 people on a normal day and about 14 when its July 4th. I was just trying to show some photos I took at the dealer meeting. I also just wanted to put some info into the what were they thinking aspect
  20. Bt Doctur

Portable Battery Pack

I throw a charger on mine every couple months. the alternator does not keep them fully charged. Then I would have the alt checked.With the correct setup with the dual ENGINE batteries and one house battery there is no need for a jump pack.
  21. B_Mutter

The swim step is Cobalt's and they have that all locked up.. ask SeaRay the stupid amount of money they had to pay because they created a swim step as well and spent time in court. We sell against Cobalt's step at shows and it too needs the drive trimmed down or you will be in the props. This is usually something they forget to talk about or have the props off on the boat they are displaying this from. It is also not the easiest thing to use when you are on the boat compared to how they demo it standing on the ground. Cool idea.. absolutely! Practical.. not so much it needs some work. Hyd. swim platforms on larger boats work because they are inboards or IPS drives so there is nothing in the way. However you cannot get those boats into shallow waters. So from the "what are you thinking view" they are giving you a feature that you see on 40' boats in a 29' boat. It is not going to work for everyone. Here in RI and MA we do not have sandbars in the ocean that everyone hangouts and parties. They all raft up and are floating in at least 10' of water. Not everyone boats the same so not every cool new gadget is going to work across the board. We were hoping for something possibly like GM's new tailgate and who knows maybe we get that next year or something similar for the rest of the lineup. Who knows. But it shouldn't have you baffled... Draft on the boat is 38" so being in 4' of water isn't that crazy of an idea. Coming from the service end of the business you aren't supposed to have the engine running with the drive trimmed past the first mark up from full down. So maneuvering into shallow water like you guys do is a huge no no but it still happens. Probably happens every day but it doesn't make it right.
  22. Iggy

Portable Battery Pack

First off, voltage will not tell you directly how many averable amps are in your battery. It will only give you a rough idea. Its not a good way to do it. As to the Searay, that tells me that his batteries were not setup properly or they were not maintained. Which is why the jumper wires worked so well. By not using your shore power, you have no idea if your batteries are full charged. AGMs take take a different charging profile than wet cells. Which means that your alternator is not properly charging them since likely as most are set up to handle wet cells not AGMs. Also your batteries are not being conditioned from the on-board charger too. Which should be set to charge AGM type of batteries. If you batteries could only talk........................
  23. tomnjo

Beaching Questions

Depends on your beaching situation. On our river, the beach is sandy above the surface and a soft muddy silt under the water. Everyone pulls forward onto the beach. If you walk through the water to get back onto your boat you have black muddy silt all over your feet. Here is a video link to the beach we go to most of the time.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYr-ZANOwtE
  24. Phillbo

Beaching Questions

I beach every night. I try to find a beach with a steep angle and typically when my bow is on the beach my stern drive is in about 5-8 feet of water so I just leave the drive down. Due to the winds that can pop up at any time during the night I use 2 anchors and a sand spike. 2 stern anchors out at 45* angles up to the water line on the beach and the sand spike for the bow. I've never had the boat move during the night using this configuration.
  25. Curt

Portable Battery Pack

Great post Iggy. Many decades ago this was something a very astute shop teacher taught us when learning to weld. Then he took the time and had us each make two sets of jumper cables using Vu-Tron Welding Cable (6-gauge). Always flexible no matter how cold, handles high current safely and near impossible to cut. Over the years have used them 100’s of times. Still going strong. Wish I could remember his name. One of the most helpful concepts ever learned and he had us make a very useful item to boot. Great man.
  26. Hatem

Portable Battery Pack

Rarely happens, if ever (talking about jumping someone) and I don't offer to help jump oil tankers LOL! Hey, to each their own. I had that pack for 4 years and never used it or had any need for it because thankfully never ran into a situation where the starting battery died. The way I have my GP31s set up and keeping an eye on the voltage periodically, it works for me. I was on my buddy's CC last year and we were probably 70 miles offshore and his friend's Sea Ray's starting battery died. He tried combining his houses and nothing. My buddy pulled out his cables (regular auto cables) and tied up like I mentioned and first shot, Sea Ray started right up and was behind us all the way to the marina. I'm certainly not telling anyone this is the only way to do it, but it's what I do and if you feel a starting pack is best, absolutely go for it. Oh and my wires are not undersized, either.
  27. Hatem

Beaching Questions

I'm pretty certain you don't want the stern to rotate like that, right? So are you saying it's hard or difficult to get the stern anchor in place because of the wind? Or you're thinking the stern anchor won't hold as a result of the wind? Sorry I didn't understand that part. What I would do is be sure you have someone else with you who can hold the boat straight, or even if he or you are at the helm with the outdrive running (and no one in the water near the props) with the outdrive turned to push the stern so it's straight like you want it, if you already have the bow anchor set, it should keep you bow straight just push throttle enough to get it o where you want it and stake that anchor in the sand nice and tight and tie it off to a stern cleat nice and taught. Then you should be good. Personally, to be perfectly honest with you, I'm not like a lot of these other fellas here who worry way too much about their boats that it prevents them from enjoying it to the max. If I had the same wind problem you did, I would probably beach the boat straight up. People here get all freaked out about scratching the keel and all that. But they do make keel guards I/m sure you know about them you can use one, but I have bottom paint and wouldn't think twice about getting it up on nice, soft sand. It's a boat, right? I use mine to its max while cully cognizant of responsibility and care in mind and always do my best to keep it in excellent shape. So it's not this "ah who gives a @#$^#^ what happens" attitude, but more of an understanding of the limits or how far you can safely push it. I have to repaint the bottom paint next spring anyway so...... what's a little touchup? There's a video online of an Azimut 70s in the Bahamas and the captain beached her right onto the sand bow first. That's a $750K boat brand new and run by a professional captain and crew. So don't feel like that is something that is way out of the question if the backing up and anchoring (which frankly a much harder process to do) and maybe get a keel guard for it (which some here have done that for that exact reason) if it's bottom painted, slowly approach the sand (as long as you know you'll have enough depth for your outdrive) and get her on the beach and have fun! Very easy to push the boat back into the water with a couple of guys, one holding a line tied to a forward cleat, turn her around, all on board and slowly move to the next destination. Mike @Chewey used to have his signature showing his boat beached forward. I think @tomnjo has a pic of the same thing also. The reason most of us back up here in these pics I posted is because it's much easier to use the swim platform to get on and off the boat. That is the ONLY reason. When I beach it forward and use the bow ladder, it's not a very comfortable way to get on and off the boat. Most will still get wet and still use the swim platform.
  1. Load more activity