All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Hatem

2008 350 Signature NMEA 2000

Really, so they don't allow you to get any engine data directly from the engine to a MFD unit even if it is a GPS unit unless you go through the gauges on the helm or the Smartcraft gauge? No bypassing without their permission, so to speak? I like your idea of just removing all the gauges and use multiple MFDs right on the dash. Converting the analogue gauges to digital might need a few extra boxes or units to help with that, I would think.
  3. rreale

VP control arm is loose

thx. that was it. Actually was a bolt in there. snugged it up with a ratchet and socket. the bolt was very loose. throttle was most likely gonna fall off soon.
  4. jd50i

2001 180SSE

Not winterized is how I got my first boat. Owner came to me to fix the engine that had frozen and broke. In the process of changing the block he expressed interest in selling it and at a good price so I bought it. 1987 Bayliner 2152 Capri Cuddy I bought in 1991. In rough shape but great for me to learn on. I gave it to a friend when I bought my 215 SSi in 2008.
  5. JT1

2001 180SSE

I hope somebody along the way hasn’t mix matched parts. My friend bought it used
  6. Thanks so much for the reply! I’m gonna get a mono for my subwoofer and a 6 channel for my other speakers Just two last question, Do you know the sizes of the speakers and subwoofers on this boat? Can’t find it anywhere and i haven’t been able to stop by and measure them what battery do u recommend for a secondary to power speakers/other components i add to the boat? How would i charge this battery
  7. Today
  8. Hatem

Boat and Dog

Well, interesting that you asked because I did order it and that might've been a mistake because I took my little guy out to the marina so he can hang with me on the boat and get acclimated to it (he's climbed into it many times in the driveway) so he knows it, but the second I let him out of his transport cage, he was looking for the gate (which I had shut) and wanted to get off as fast as possible. So I kinda consoled him a bit and took him around the boat to familiarize himself that he should know it's the same one that was in the driveway and first thing he did was this! So obviously he was looking for either a run off the boat or somewhere to hide. Once he came out of the engine compartment, he jumped into the center ski locker which I don't know if you know, on the 276 is pretty huge and went all the way forward and hid between the holding tank and the end bulkhead. I did tell this story on another thread BTW but I don't mind repeating it since it's petty funny. I left the door open so he could come out but not a single meow and would not move from that position. Is he the cutest thing ever or what? lol. And a busy body so I figured he loves to go on rides with me in my truck so maybe he'll like the boat once he gets used to the noise and movement etc. and we anchor near a beach and play with him etc. Finally after about 45 minutes he started meowing and moved out of that slot, so I put him in his transport cage, wrapped the canvass and took him home. A few days later, my wife and I decide to take the boat out and she needed to use the head, goes in, turns on the vacuum switch and suddenly we thought we dropped the boat in a sewer pipe! The stick was bad and I didn't understand since the indicator light was on green and the thing was barely used. So I flushed a couple of time, she sprayed her perfume but the second I opened the ski locker to get one of my fishing rods or the hook or something, the stench came barreling out!! lol. So I told my wife sounds like we need pumpout of something is blocking the vent hose. A day later I'm at the marina and I called the pumpout guy he said 10 minutes he'll be there but then I thought to myself, Ollie was down there and maybe he inadvertently did something to the tank. So I got down there and slid all the way to the end of the tank to look at the hoses coming from the head to the tank and sure enough, the vent hose was disconnected from the tank! He must've rubber his nose (like cats like to do on your legs of or on cabinet doors etc.) and because I had taken the tank out during winterization and forgot to tighten the hose clamp, his little rub was enough to pull it right out of the tank. Grabbed a screwdriver, clipped the hose to the tank and tightened the clamp and went to the head and turned on the vacuum button and then flushed and no smell loool. So I still got it pumped out even though the guy told me there was barely a couple of gallons of waste in there. I'll post a pic of the vest when it gets here and we'll try to take him out and see how it goes being prepared to come back quickly if he really, really doesn't like it. I'm sure once I crank the 8.1 he's not gonna be very happy so we might have to leave him in the transport cage for a while and just try to work with him with as much as he gives us.
  9. Phillbo

2001 180SSE

That sounds a bit unusual... I've never heard of a mix like that.
  10. Upside

Engine still stalls at idle...update

I have a volvo mechanic coming on tuesday. sent them the list of what I have done so far as well as some of the feedback from here. will let you know what it ends up being if they can fix it!
  11. JT1

2001 180SSE

Thanks Coldone. I thought that might be why it was there. Tomorrow is the big day that I start to try and get this engine running. Any thoughts on the best way to get out the 6 year old gasoline? I bought a siphon tube but maybe this won’t work. Maybe I hook up siphon tube to fuel pump inlet hose and drain that way. Any thoughts appreciated thanks
  12. Upside

OK thank you
  13. Iggy

Hats not the case since he is using Yacht Devices. You went the route of V.P.
  14. Mike Up North

That is my understanding too. I did buy another plug adapter for plugging directly into the 10 pin on the Mercruiser engine (from yacht device too). If it doesn't work at the gauges then I will put the Yacht Device interface at the engine and connect to the NMEA2000 Network there.
  15. Hatem

Ah, ok, thanks for the explanation. Too bad Merc made it that way so you have to route through the gauges. I guess I misunderstood him and though he wanted to display the engine data on his gauges themselves.
  16. OCMD2

Boat and Dog

Did you get the vest? How did it work out?
  17. Mike Up North

In the long run I may just use multiple MFDs and get rid of all the stock gauges (since they are starting to have issues) or I may go to the small configurable displays. Either way the six pin connection is at the gauges that tires into the Smartcraft network. If the gauges get removed I would still use that connection to interface to the NMEA2000 network.
  18. TexasPilot71

I was told by Mercury that you could not connect the gauges directly to the MFD. At least not the Raymarine MFD that I was using. Garmin may be different, but I don't know. SO, I had to get the data from the engine diagnostics port. If the OP can go directly to his MFD, that is awesome! But again, simply based on my understanding and application, that was not possible. If he has the same limitation, then it seems as if he may be able to take the data that feeds his gauges and (by using a YachtDevides) send that information additionally along a N2K bus, and from there into his MFD/Chartplotter.
  19. Wingnut

It's not a job that I would like to do, and on a boat that age, disturbing a working "vintage" harness that has been cooked in the engine bay for so many years is asking for trouble. They get stiff and insulation gets brittle over time, and likely you will break off half the retaining clips trying to get the connectors apart. I would however concentrate some careful inspection on the first 12" of the wire pair leaving the IAC. W
  20. Hatem

Thanks for the reply. Why not go straight to an MFD? Bypass the gauges completely? Which was why I asked him if he had a GPS that was NMEA2K compatible. I just don't understand why the need to use any of the gauges, especially since they're all dedicated for particular functions. Not even sue you could add any of the engine info onto a smartcraft gauge, although I'm not sure about that. There's actually an automotive kit you can get that has several pins that you can configure any 6pin to 8pin to whatever. Pretty cool and runs about $27. If I had case where I needed to use it in a marine configuration, I would then wrap the entire thing in electrical tape. But I was able to find the VP adapter so went with that.
  21. dh20

time to move up... engine(s) question

thanks for all the comments...like many of you I know there is no perfect boat... and I spend countless hours considering the options. If money was no object I'd have a Hinckley picnic boat.. but now I maybe reconsider my plan mainly because of where I boat.... the dreaming continues... but I feel more educated.
  22. Upside

Are the harnesses hard to swap? Maybe I can try that. Will try and find level 3 tech through google.
  23. Denny

Georgian Bay Adventure

Thinking about another trip to Canada, looking for some help in locating a couple of marinas with transient dockage, in the Georgian bay area. Been by it on our last trip when we stopped at the Benjamin and Apostle Islands, so we would like to explore it. I figure good local knowledge is worth more then the internet. Any help from my northern neighbors would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Denny.
  24. I’ve been in that situation a couple times. Turning off the battery switch after shutting down engine cuts power to ECU and dumps its volatile memory, allowing full power again.
  25. dan02gt

226 SSI GPS upgrade

Guys I recently purchased a 2014 SSI 226. It came with the Garmin GPSmap 521 installed. I hated the small screen and poor resolution so I upgraded it to a Echomap 74cv. I had a local glass company make me a new dash insert out of black plexy so I could flush mount the Echomap. The install turned out really good and looks almost factory, but it seems some of the SSIs had options for a larger 7" units from the factory. So I wondering if anyone knows if there is a factory dash insert I could buy that would let me flush mount the GPS in my 2014.
  26. Denny

This is for Hatem

(thought of you when I saw their flag, check out the disc on the top.) The disk would be a perfect place for a stern light. How would you drill the hole in it to feed the wire.? I"ll still keep my Hatem made one.
  27. TexasPilot71

Newbies, do you use your GPS to its fullest?

Correct. So the NMEA0183 will serve two purposes. First, it will receive the GPS data from your chartplotter which allows for the DSC functions to work. Second, it will (as we discussed previously) send position data from other vessels to your GPS for display purposes. Now, "position data from other vessels" does not mean AIS data...only DSC data received via your VHF antenna (emergency vessels, or other vessels who have allowed you permission to track).
  1. Load more activity