All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Phillbo

Fiberglass/gelcoat repair Help Please

Nice boat. I have a friend that owns one. I have sailed with her in the Sea of Cortez a few times... It's a quality coastal cruiser capable of offshore sailing with some modifications and/or compromises. Storage was the one thing I found lacking.
  3. drewm3i

Hatem we are doing well. In the keys right now living on our 1987 Ericson 38-200. Going to be heading up to Maryland soon. Andy is the man! Way better than me no doubt, but this is no hole, just a gouge through the gelcoat in a non-structural area. This is as simple as filling with gelcoat after sanding to ensure a good bond. The link is for a color matched gelcoat repair paste for chaparral that is simple to use and very high quality for minor damage like this. Just mix, apply, sand and polish to a high gloss finish! Very easy and a proper repair. https://www.iboats.com/shop/spectrum-color-chaparral-2000-2015-mission-white-color-boat-gel-coat-patch-paste-repair-kit-f559257ak.html
  4. Today
  5. Phillbo

Progressive Insurace

I had Progressive for a while. My lake does not have Seatow or Boat USA so they would cover the cost from the local marina service.
  6. Phillbo

RPM Gauge

I run my boat by feel... I can tell if I'm running the right RPM without looking at the gauge.
  7. Yesterday
  8. Hatem

Hey buddy, where you been? Long time no hear? Hope all is well. You got a sailboat, now? Maybe our trip down to Florida with the 276 will be even more exciting now if you wanna get together. How are your sailing skills? What size boat and type etc.? Fill us in. Well, so isn't the 9mm bullet hole Andy put through that piece of fiberglass panel he's working with in those video series and he shows how to correctly fix it permanently and not with some quick patcharooni scalabrooni. And look closely at the damage to the OPs boat, that shattered all the way through the thickness of the fiberglass, leaving the roving weaving below exposed. That means the back of that surface needs to be secured in order to keep whatever surface patch that is put on the top from cracking again or even falling through. Plus he mentioned he wanted to match the color, which means there's a bit of gelcoat work to consider. If it was only a surface ding, it would be much easier but that is a thru-hole with flaking material next to it. If he want it done right, he should follow those instruction by Andy who's 2nd to none. If he want a quick patch that'll be close enough and no guarantee to last, the sky's the limit with all sorts of crappy and halfasss crappy patch kits. What is that? Link isn't working.
  9. tcartwri

RPM Gauge

Thanks to all for the guidance. Blown away by the highly collaborative chap community. My chap is a 2005 ssi 190 with the mercruiser alpha 6 cylinder carburetor - about 120 hours and gently used by me. I’ll check the cylinder switch if equipped with one and also the wiring. Tapping in to the ECM will require some additional skill so will research further. My understanding is the temp is the critical gauge to watch for overheating - if the rpm guage is not working is there any risk to not repairing/replacing and living with it?
  10. Trying to wire up this tach which has 2 , 6 pin Deutsch connectors. My original tach hag 2 flat 6 pin connectors. I’m changing the plugs cause the old tach as discontinued.Anyone know the sequence on the tach how the #’s run on pins 1 thru 6 ? There’s a decal on the tach, which explains each one, but not sure what order they go, clockwise, up and down?
  11. SST

Looks like water in my lower unit oil

I have no idea what he used. I checked the billing and it wasn't listed. The new stuff I put in is quicksilver 90. Dark blue.
  12. drewm3i

Hatem my friend, this is a small repair . OP, check this out: LUQ3IX6j9sAIMmRtI__kW3oDZB3ExoCKXEQAvD_BwE Simply, grind it out a bit with a Drexel, tape it off, mix it properly and apply. Then come back and sand/wet sand it smooth and buff it out. Very easy.
  13. drewm3i

1988 2300SX 5.0 I/O

Blisters really aren't that big of a deal. Never had them on a chap, but on my current sailboat my wife and I just repaired about 200 of them. Some small, some the size of my head. Basically what happens is water permeated the gelcoat and deteriorates the outer layer of hull laminate. The fix is easy but time consuming. Simply, grind the bad material out, apply a few layers of biaxial cloth wetted out with EPOXY RESIN, then fair with epoxy mixed with silica, and sand smooth. Boats left in the water should then have an epoxy barrier coat applied and bottom paint.
  14. Phillbo

Anchor Rode Locker Capacity

John, that story reminded me of this video... I've seen it happen many times:
  15. jeffk

How to pick the right Chaparral model for me

I will give you a pass this time!
  16. I recently purchased a 1997 Signature 27 and the bottom track door slide is no longer connected to the door. It appears that where the slide stud bolts to the mount, the plastic is broken out. So far I have been unable to find any part numbers or good sources for parts. Since this was broken when I purchased the boat, I'm not sure what is should look like. I have not found any parts blow-up photos or part numbers for this boat. If any one has any good parts sources or advice I would appreciate it.
  17. Johnfrmcal

Anchor Rode Locker Capacity

On our large cruiser (not Chap) we went with 350' of all chain, but I still have some rope spliced at the end and the bitter end is tied off in the anchor locker. This is so if you ever get to the "end of your rope" the anchor and chain don't get lost to the water gods. But also, in an absolute emergency, a knife can cut through the rope if you need to ditch your anchor. A perfect example...we saw an (improperly anchored) raft out bust free, about 8 boats, and we had a front seat view of the calamity as the raftout drifted around, all hitched together but trying to separate before they drifted into other boats or rocks. Their anchors got all twisted up with each other and they couldn't get separated. In that case, I would have expelled all my chain, cut the line, and waived goodbye to my anchor while I got free from the floating fiasco. Just a thought.
  18. I've been reading quite bit about these new Gen 5 Volvos and while they're more efficient to some degree to their larger counterparts, they're actually not short on HP, either.The same can be said about Mercury as well. The technology is improving at a phenomenal pace. @delaney, curious about your numbers with a pair of VP 8.1s. And @Wingnut, how about some info on your 496HO, particularly RPM and temperature.
  19. Curt

2001 300 Signature fuel tank swap

Here’s an idea. Pass on the polyethylene tank due to safety. Flush the existing tank with water and a detergent to remote all gasoline and fumes. Then pressure test to confirm the leak(s). If confirmed, cut an access hole into it and inspect. If just a spot or two, and ultrasound confirms plate integrity otherwise, from the inside, weld in an aluminum patch and then weld a patch over the access hole from the exterior. Pressure test again. If good, return to service. Many tanks and pressure vessels are repaired this way (in-situ). I have no idea if the tank is big enough though. My 125 is close.
  20. Hatem

That's great. Nice-looking and well built aluminum tank and posting the entire process is terrific and very enjoyable to see, not to mention how educational it is. So thanks for putting the effort into doing that because it takes a lot of effort (I know first hand) and there aren't many who do this kinda thing anymore, sadly.. My question to you or anyone, is the new law passed that no matter what tank you previously had whether plastic or aluminum and you're replacing it that now it must be aluminum because of the new rule of pressurizing it? I believe @Wingnut mentioned that on another thread but I think at the time it was being passed along as a possible new law/rule and wasn't in full effect yet. Anyone know?
  21. Actually, both the 4.3 and 5.3 are represented in the survey (the 5.3 is not a typo, but I missed Denny’s 4.3, my bad). The current Volvo Penta offering no longer includes the 5.7. The Generation V engines with models beginning V8-300/V8-350 __-__, which are comparable in horsepower to the venerable 5.7’s, are 5.3’s.
  22. Nitpick all you want, my bro. The more accurate info we have the better understanding we can conclude from the data. Indeed, I missed that assuming it was a 4.3. Need to pay more attention to detail. Hopefully more will chime in as the more the merrier and we can isolate some oddities.
  23. bdsherman4u

good point! thanks for "talking it out" I will post pictures if I get into it, otherwise I am thinking on a smaller tank "polyethlyne" on top of the old tank in the engine compartment straped in for the summer, then winter give it a go.....
  24. Jjlai724

Quick and Quiet Exhaust

I would like to leave mine if quiet mode all the time if that was an option. Had the motors pulled for maintenance when I got the boat 10 years ago and the boat mechanic asked if I wanted to convert to thru hull exhaust while the motors were out. I said sure, and now I regret it. They are too noisy at cruising speed and you can't even talk or hear the music.
  25. Curt

RPM Gauge

Right on, but this is an ‘05. Might not have SmartCraft or the Volvo Penta “equivalent”. Engine and particulars weren’t posted, so we’re all shooting in the dark. If I recall correctly, SmartCraft was introduced in ‘04 as an option?
  26. ColdOne

RPM Gauge

+1 and my Smartcraft tach does not have the selector switch on the back to select 4, 6, 8 cylinder. I use the tach from the ECM
  27. Hatem

Ever witness a boating accident?

Check it out, SST. My buddy Jonsey took this video of that exact moment I mentioned earlier about the guy in the Pursuit ahead of us. I thought he videoed the way out on our return but in fact it was gong into the Annisquam river from the harbor the first time and notice the distance I maintained between his boat and mind and just kept looking back occasionally at the CC that was behind me because they were a bunch or young kids and I didn't trust them should I get stuck and they're barreling towards our boat. But is you watch the Pursuit carefully, because he didn't time it right and ended up on top of the other boat in front of his wake, he almost slammed into the right side of the wall! The boat behind us timed it perfectly. Notice the gap he left between us and him which gave our wake time to dissipate and it was relatively easy for him to travers the narrow passage rather easily. That's the way to do it and you never worry about the boat behind you if they're in a hurry. And if they're on top of you, I wouldn't mind signaling him to back off a little for his own good.
  28. TexasPilot71

RPM Gauge

Agreed! I even went with a VesselView 4 for less than a new tach.
  1. Load more activity