All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Curt

Change Gear Lube - found metal filings

Not sure what motor and drive, but not normal for any brand. If it were mine, I’d first go back to whomever did the lower. If not an option, time to pull the drive, disassemble and correct this winter in a nice warm shop. Metal is not a good and it won’t get better (debris going through a gear box always causes more debris with further damage). If you’re curious, and still have the bits, almost any oil analysis service can determine what they likely came from due to different metallurgy and heat treatment (gear, bearing, pinion, etc.). Disassembly will answer this question as well. Sorry, best. Edit. Sorry, I see now that it’s a Mercury Marine Alpha.
  3. Steve&Steph

Need better / louder sounds !!! JL Audio or WS ?

M6 is just their upgraded model. The M3(formerly MX) was/is regarded as one of the best speakers for the money. The M6 is just a little better, but cost quite a bit more. I would say the M6 is a little warmer with more mid base. They will perform a little better at higher volumes. I tried to talk myself into the M3’s but i would always wonder how much better the M6 would be, so I’ll just go that route!!!
  4. CHAP257SSX

SteveandSteph - what’s the difference between the M6 and M3’s ??
  5. CHAP257SSX

First estimate came in from one of the audio places in Fox Lake IL. All JL Audio M800 sub M3-7.7 tower speakers M3 10”” sub thoughts on this combo ?
  6. New Buyer 2019

Engine Sound and Mystery Gauge

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and new to owning a boat, although I grew up drive my parents 90's Chap a lot. I recently bought a 2010 236 SSX with a Merc. Mag 350 and Bravo 3 out drive. Engine seems to sound a little rough. It has been in saltwater for the past 9 years and has 210 hrs. The particular marina it has been at flushes the engine for the customer after every dry dock and the riser/manifolds were replaced 2 years ago and look fine. But something about the engine seems "rough" to be me now. When i change the trim from the full down position, it made a faint noise I could only hear at slower speeds. I know very little about engines or out-drives, but the noise sounded like a dull noise of something being drug across the bottom of the hull. Like something dragging on cardboard. I thought i was running over something until I checked the depth finder and looked at the water. It was definitely the boat. Has anyone experienced this before? The only reasoning I can think of is vibration on the out drive, it needing a tune up or some fuel injector problem. I don't exactly trust me gut feeling bc my parents old Chap had a smaller Merc. Engine and a Bravo 1? Out drive. But I seemed quieter overall from what I remember, but that was 20 years ago, lol. Also, does anyone have a square LCD gauge on their boat or am I just looking a blanked "place holder" bezel? Pic Below. I tried the ACC switches, I'll look at fuses next, once I figure out how to get to them. Thanks for any advice!
  7. TexasPilot71

250, 270, or 280? Help!

Sorry for the delay...here's the chart
  8. Steve&Steph

-I am going to do JL M6 650 x 6, JL 12MIB(12” free air sub) x 1 under the helm, and JL M6 7.7” x 2 tower speakers. -Power will be a JL M1000/5 powering the towers(bridged) and sub. JL 600/6 power the M6 650’s. I will be able to achieve a good amount of volume and quality sound with 40 mph worth of wind and motor noise.
  9. Phillbo

yeah but LOUD is not my style. I prefer to have conversations instead of yelling over LOUD music..
  10. Most people have no interest in gasoline liquid that is laying on the floor. Could care even less. A boat is like a car on the water. Even has a car engine. I do not know either one can have a gasoline fire / explosion. That is a fair mind set of most boat people. Boating classes do help people become aware of some dangers that a boat can have.
  11. Was_Wylie_Tunes

Seems clear he is Both can be had
  12. cyclops2

Way to raft up. Good people.
  13. ask your storage yard what they are billing you for..... what type of storage?
  14. FunDip

Floor replacement

I did a floor replacement in a 3 day weekend that lasted 5 years and just started showing signs of rot again. Easy to do and cheap. Coated exterior 3/4” plywood with fiberglass resign and then a coat of epoxy primer . Pulled carpet up and using fiberglass evercoat kitty hair glued the edges of the new wood to the old wood. Cut out the ski well and kitty hair the seams from where 2 pieces came together and carpet over and sanded smooth. Got me prolly 5 more years before a small spot came back. Only did to the rear seat area and took maybe 20 hours total. Just a suggestion to get more years out of a good engine . joey
  15. Phillbo

I built my tunes for quality sound, not LOUD. My music is typically being played at a level that the friends in the boat rafted up next to me can still carry on a conversation with me from their boat. I hate having to yell over music to have a conversation.
  16. Bought 2005 chap 256SSI , Manufacture date is 2004 , HIN ends in 05. Registration says ‘ 05 and it has a capacity decal by USCG of 14 people . Others here say it’s 26’ and yacht certified. I’m confused. Is it 25’6” or 26’ or 26’6” and why would I have a capacity decal with 14 persons and others not? I do know I’m being billed for storage as a 26’ LOA , so that’s in my favor . Just wondering . thanks for any insight . Joey
  17. Yesterday
  18. New Buyer 2019

LED Docking Lights

Who said I was going to use them as headlights? lol One of my halogens was blown and needed to be replaced anyhow. I haven't installed them, but the pins look like a perfect fit. I'm just hoping they last longer and save some energy!
  19. Futzin'

Judging from these posts, I must have misunderstood the OP. I took it to mean he was considering tower speakers.
  20. Rwright1985

Depends on the money you want to spend. I got some infinitys for cheap from academy, did a SKAR amp and it is loud. not much for bass since it is 6.5's but I was trying to be cheap and still have decent quality
  21. Rwright1985

Floor replacement

Similar discussion here. Make sure it is the floor. May be better buying solid boat with many mechanical issues and using this as a donor for motor/drive and what not.
  22. Remember who we are taking about. Its been 3 months, well I will leave it at that..............
  23. cyclops2

Wingnut can correct me. But can the chips be from the UPPER gear case ?
  24. cyclops2

Floor replacement

If you sleep on the boat floor ? Fumes of everything heavier than air will collect there. A small 6" box fan aimed at the people will dilute the concentration. I always had one running on the cruisers berthing area.
  25. Phillbo

I would monitor it and plan to take a sample of the fluid every once in a while to see if it gets worse.
  26. John TW

Floor replacement

Hello Labam, I've got a 1990 1900 SL, again an older boat - lower end of the price range for this forum. There are tons and tons of videos and websites with a lot of detail, its pretty daunting but educate yourself. I decided to scrap my 1983 Bayliner because the transom was soft. The Chap that I have now is very solid in most places but the floor is soft right at the helm. I figured it had a cover that drained at the base of the windshield. The thing is wood rot is organic and it grows, feeding on the wood. The most important thing is that you kill it before it gets worse. I read that Borax (cleaner) and Glycol (antifreeze) are both toxic and good home remedies for killing mold/rot. This is sketchy internet advice, take it at face value. I've dried my boat out a lot, and marinated all the areas in borax and antifreeze. After several years here is what I know. 1. I didn't ruin the interior, 2. No foot rashes or skin problems, 3. The soft spots don't seem to be growing. Obviously the right thing to do is tear it all out and rebuild and reglass everything it touches. You need to think about structural integrity and safety as well. I'm on a 300 acre freshwater lake, never out of sight of shore - we are having great fun with boat for about a $1,000 a year. Not too many people here are doing that ! Always put safety first and remember that fumes accumulate in boat hulls - no matter what you use be aware ! ! John
  27. cyclops2

Yet another winterize question

OHH OHH
  1. Load more activity