closed freshwater cooling and anti-corrosion system

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 covedog

covedog
  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:09 PM

I just ordered a new 215 ssi with closed freshwater cooling system. Dealer felt that anti-corrosion system would be redundant so I didn't add it.

Thinking about this after the fact, since the boat will be in Northwest salt water, outdrive and heat exchangers will still be in the salt, so it seems like a go idea to add the anti corrosion system. I did ask the dealer to run this question by Chaparral Engineering - any thoughts out there?

Thanks,
Covedog
Covedog
2010 215 ssi with Volvo 4.3L GXi MPI SX
2001 Porsche Boxster S - doesn't pull boats but sure makes you smile when you can't be boating!

#2 Toddler

Toddler
  • Members
  • 7,398 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:32 PM

Well, if your going to be trailering it you can put a set of muffs on it, then run some water threw it when take it out of the water.

Matt    

2006 256ssi, 496 BIII, Blue

6 Saturdays & a Sunday

9c582862-dab3-4312-8ca5-c7591a480183_zps

#3 Sean N.

Sean N.
  • Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:54 AM

I just ordered a new 215 ssi with closed freshwater cooling system. Dealer felt that anti-corrosion system would be redundant so I didn't add it.

Thinking about this after the fact, since the boat will be in Northwest salt water, outdrive and heat exchangers will still be in the salt, so it seems like a go idea to add the anti corrosion system. I did ask the dealer to run this question by Chaparral Engineering - any thoughts out there?

Thanks,
Covedog

I have closed cooling on my volvos, XDP drives AND a neutra salt system. I think you should have as much protection as you can.
2008 310 Signature
"Always Saturday"
Occoquan, Va

#4 Curt & Ann

Curt & Ann
  • Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:44 PM

Agreed - I have closed system and neutra salt on my XDPs

BoatName004.jpg
Some Kind Of Wonderful
North Attleboro, MA
2008 Signature 330 Twin Volvo 5.7 OSXi XDP OceanX

#5 covedog

covedog
  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

I have closed cooling on my volvos, XDP drives AND a neutra salt system. I think you should have as much protection as you can.

Sean - darn good advice,

I connected with my dealer today and he did run the question by Chaparral and it turns out that the Volvo will have the neutra salt system for the components exposed to salt. How much maintenance does this system take? Delivery date is 5/15!

Thanks,
Covedog
Covedog
2001 Porsche Boxster S - doesn't pull boats but sure makes you smile when you can't be boating!

#6 Sean N.

Sean N.
  • Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:06 PM

Sean - darn good advice,

I connected with my dealer today and he did run the question by Chaparral and it turns out that the Volvo will have the neutra salt system for the components exposed to salt. How much maintenance does this system take? Delivery date is 5/15!

Thanks,
Covedog

Other than putting the solution in the reservoir, none that I know of. It's kind of refreshing. :beer-7687-1:
2008 310 Signature
"Always Saturday"
Occoquan, Va

#7 krmartonik

krmartonik
  • Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:19 AM

Neutrasalt a very good idea to protect exhaust manifolds especially. The freshwater cooling system will protect the engine, but seawater still circulates through the heat exchanger, impeller and exhaust.As to maintenance, Just remember that neutrasalt can freeze so drain it in winter. :boating:

pi340C.jpg
dsc01311h.jpg
Kris
2008 215 Ssi/ Volvo 5.0 GXI, SX
Puget Sound, Lake Washington, Lake Tapps

2014 GMC 1500 SLT All Terrain

#8 jeff

jeff

Commander of the Pacific Fleet

• Members
  • 8,927 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

On a closed cooling system boat, it depends on the type of system. There are half systems that cool only the engine block, and there are full systems that also cool the manifolds, but not the risers. I had a full system on my last boat, and the manifolds were still good at 8 years, in salt water.

I would guess that the Volvo systems are half systems that do not cool the manifolds, and NeutraSalt is used on the heat exchanger, manifolds and risers. I can vouch for the ability of NeutraSalt to control corrosion, as my raw water colled 290 is in salt water 24/7, and after 3 years, both the manifolds and risers still look pretty good, very little rust and corrosion. I should be able to get at least 5 years out of the risers using NeutraSalt......
2006 Signature 290 "Shock Wave"
twin 4.3L Volvo Penta OSi engines
twin XDP composite outdrives now Ocean X drives...finally
Boating out of Long Beach, CA

#9 covedog

covedog
  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:00 PM

Neutrasalt a very good idea to protect exhaust manifolds especially. The freshwater cooling system will protect the engine, but seawater still circulates through the heat exchanger, impeller and exhaust.As to maintenance, Just remember that neutrasalt can freeze so drain it in winter. :boating:

Thanks kris - good feedback. I like the look of your 215 ssi - White is the new black! I'll keep an eye out for you in the Sound this summer!
Covedog

#10 krmartonik

krmartonik
  • Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:54 AM

Thanks kris - good feedback. I like the look of your 215 ssi - White is the new black! I'll keep an eye out for you in the Sound this summer!

Our signature is a stock photo, here's the boat to look for. We are mostly in the south sound,some of the best boating anywhere. :boating:

pi340C.jpg
dsc01311h.jpg
Kris

#11 covedog

covedog
  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:14 PM

Our signature is a stock photo, here's the boat to look for. We are mostly in the south sound,some of the best boating anywhere. :boating:

Still a very sharp Chap! I like the solid hull color in blue or black - I ended up choosing the standard graphic in black - so that's my boat to look for. I'm definitely looking forward to exploring the Sound and I've heard great things about the boating down south. One of the first trips I was considering is a run north around foulweather bluff, head south, pick up a friend at Gamble Bay and then on to explore the south Hood Canal. Any recommendations from your experience? Also, if you happen to need a very light and stowable tender for you 215 - check out my post on the inflatable dinghy topic. Another good option is made by Alpaca. I'm planning to get one.
Covedog

#12 krmartonik

krmartonik
  • Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:17 PM

Still a very sharp Chap! I like the solid hull color in blue or black - I ended up choosing the standard graphic in black - so that's my boat to look for. I'm definitely looking forward to exploring the Sound and I've heard great things about the boating down south. One of the first trips I was considering is a run north around foulweather bluff, head south, pick up a friend at Gamble Bay and then on to explore the south Hood Canal. Any recommendations from your experience? Also, if you happen to need a very light and stowable tender for you 215 - check out my post on the inflatable dinghy topic. Another good option is made by Alpaca. I'm planning to get one.

:beer-7687-1: Our boat is blue.Saw the dingy post, very cool. As for Hood canal, check out Pleasant Harbor area. It has become a known destination for boaters I hear. Shrimping is awesome!I have not been there for years. Spent every summer at the canal when I was a kid. (My grandparents lived about mid-way,Brinnon area).As for the South Sound area, once you come south of Blake Island ( another place you must see), the water calms and it is all good! South of Tacoma Narrows even better, most lakes are't even as nice. Definatly go through the Ballard Locks to Lake Union (Seattle) and Lake Washington. At least you picked a boat that you can do long trips in, cause you have a lot to see!There's gas in Seattle, Gig Harbor, Tacoma, Tacoma Narrows and Olympia. :boating:

pi340C.jpg
dsc01311h.jpg
Kris

#13 covedog

covedog
  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:06 PM

:beer-7687-1: Our boat is blue.Saw the dingy post, very cool. As for Hood canal, check out Pleasant Harbor area. It has become a known destination for boaters I hear. Shrimping is awesome!I have not been there for years. Spent every summer at the canal when I was a kid. (My grandparents lived about mid-way,Brinnon area).As for the South Sound area, once you come south of Blake Island ( another place you must see), the water calms and it is all good! South of Tacoma Narrows even better, most lakes are't even as nice. Definatly go through the Ballard Locks to Lake Union (Seattle) and Lake Washington. At least you picked a boat that you can do long trips in, cause you have a lot to see!There's gas in Seattle, Gig Harbor, Tacoma, Tacoma Narrows and Olympia. :boating:

Thanks for the great south Sound tips - will be heading that direction as well. I too spent my childhood summers on the Canal (well close - Gamble Bay) rowing and sailing from my parent's dock, and being the head "fish catcher and clam digger". Regarding the Ballard Locks, I'll sea trial and take possession the 215 up in Kenmore, and then my dealer and I will take it thru the locks and across the sound so I'll get a good look at the lake and the locks right out of the gate. More and more WA boat buddies are telling me to head south in the sound as well. Been studying a great cruising guide of the Sound and San Juans by Migael Scherer. Seems to be a very good and complete guide.
Covedog