Lake Powell

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 skiya

skiya
  • Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:25 PM

What happen to all the treads of Lake Powell? Anyway, I have rented a houseboat 2nd week of July if anybody is going to be out there let me know. Got a smokin deal at 50% off, w/ that discount I couldn't afford not to go.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

2007 210 SSi 5.0 GXi SX Drive
Samson wakeboard tower
'05 Silverado Z71
"SKI YA LATER"
Lake Mead

#2 glory

glory
  • Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:12 PM

great pics
looks lik a beauty place
have a beer for me
An eye for an eye ends up making the whole world blind. M. Ghandhi
1998 240 sig 5 liter 220 hp efi merc bravo 3 stainless props and lovin it

#3 Phil @ LKN

Phil @ LKN

Admiral of LKN - Self Appointed

• Members
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:06 AM

Was there a few years ago. Absolutely beautiful!!

Phil at Lake Norman
2005 Signature 310 SOLD
Volvo 5.7 OSI-XDP
Paradise

ParadiseOnTheMove52-cr-1.jpg ParadiseOnTheMove05-crLarge-1.jpg

#4 RoyW

RoyW
  • Members
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:29 PM

Plan to arrive the Tuesday after Labor Day and stay for a week - as usual. Families that have kids are back in school, and I have much of the lake to myself. My favorite lake -- period.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

n/a

#5 SCOOTER

SCOOTER
  • Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

Plan to arrive the Tuesday after Labor Day and stay for a week - as usual. Families that have kids are back in school, and I have much of the lake to myself. My favorite lake -- period.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Roy, we will be there Sat. before Labor Day to the following Sat. You'll have to come visit us aboard the Johnny Quest......

Posted Image
Posted Image
07 256 SSi 8.1L 375hp BIII
07 Yukon 2500 XL 6.0L
Peoria, AZ

#6 dqm

dqm
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:01 AM

Visit?

With the size of that thing he could move in and you would still have to set a time and place to meet! :)

-David
2009 Sunesta 264 Xtreme
- Ice Blue and Black
- 496 Mag with Bravo III (375 HP)
- All the options minus the electric grill
2009 Ford F150 FX4 with Max Tow Package

#7 RoyW

RoyW
  • Members
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:47 AM

Roy, we will be there Sat. before Labor Day to the following Sat. You'll have to come visit us aboard the Johnny Quest......

Posted Image

Sounds like a plan. I look forward to it. Same location this year? I will have my maps/charts at TR when we meet this summer.

n/a

#8 SCOOTER

SCOOTER
  • Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:49 PM

Sounds like a plan. I look forward to it. Same location this year? I will have my maps/charts at TR when we meet this summer.

This pic was taken in Oak Bay, about the 55 mm, just a couple miles upstream and around the corner from the Rainbow Bridge canyon. We frequent that alot because it always has good houseboat beaches. We usually do a full run up the lake first day up to this area - this puts us in speedboat range all the way up to the Escalante river canyon or farther, and not far from RB bridge for the new folks and Dangling rope for supplies if needed. Lots of cool narrow slot canyons to explore around there also. Midweek we move the houseboat down to the Padre Bay/Gunsight area, then spend the final night in the Marina at Antelope Pointe.

Will coord with you at TR. Hooking up on Powell is easier than it used to be - actually have some cell phone reception if you know where the sweet spots are.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
07 Yukon 2500 XL 6.0L
Peoria, AZ

#9 skiya

skiya
  • Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:39 AM

Scooter, I rented my first houseboat for this summer and the question I have is hooking up the boats for the tow. I see you have three in tow, we will have two. Is it a fairly easy task? Any tips I should know?. What about when you stop /slow down w/ boats in tow? Thanks in advance......Ed
Posted Image

Samson wakeboard tower
'05 Silverado Z71
"SKI YA LATER"
Lake Mead

#10 RoyW

RoyW
  • Members
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:22 AM

Sounds like a plan. I can also be your resupply person if you need something from Page.

Rainbow Bridge (the entrance) is normally my first stop each year. Recall that I let my father off (ashes) at the entry point in 2006. So, I stop by to chat for a while.

Posted Image

Great place.

n/a

#11 SCOOTER

SCOOTER
  • Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:59 AM

Scooter, I rented my first houseboat for this summer and the question I have is hooking up the boats for the tow. I see you have three in tow, we will have two. Is it a fairly easy task? Any tips I should know?. What about when you stop /slow down w/ boats in tow? Thanks in advance......Ed

Two is pretty easy, three is very stressfull......Secret is do things fast, no dilly dally. Have all of your ropage prepared in advance for quick hookup, and don't have a boat load of people to transfer. The house boat has alot of inertia - when hooking up let it bleed it all off, bring one boat in from one side (at least a 45 degree angle out), jump off and push away, then the other from the other side. Then idle the HB away and they should start trailing nicely. Remember to put the trim up on the outdrives as you are shutting it down and hurrying up to jump off..........

If there are any winds you need to read them and adjust appropriately. The side of a houseboat has more surface area than good sized sailboats, so they get blown (which btw make sure you dig anchors in good when you stop to camp).

To release the boats is easy, once the HB slows enuf just pull one boat in and be gone, then the other.
Posted Image
07 Yukon 2500 XL 6.0L
Peoria, AZ

#12 SCOOTER

SCOOTER
  • Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:05 AM

Sounds like a plan. I can also be your resupply person if you need something from Page.

Rainbow Bridge (the entrance) is normally my first stop each year. Recall that I let my father off (ashes) at the entry point in 2006. So, I stop by to chat for a while.

Posted Image

Great place.

Yes, my last trip up there involved leaving some ashes in a couple of different memorable spots......It's a good place to be...
Posted Image
07 Yukon 2500 XL 6.0L
Peoria, AZ

#13 SCOOTER

SCOOTER
  • Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:15 AM

Two is pretty easy, three is very stressfull......Secret is do things fast, no dilly dally. Have all of your ropage prepared in advance for quick hookup, and don't have a boat load of people to transfer. The house boat has alot of inertia - when hooking up let it bleed it all off, bring one boat in from one side (at least a 45 degree angle out), jump off and push away, then the other from the other side. Then idle the HB away and they should start trailing nicely. Remember to put the trim up on the outdrives as you are shutting it down and hurrying up to jump off..........

If there are any winds you need to read them and adjust appropriately. The side of a houseboat has more surface area than good sized sailboats, so they get blown (which btw make sure you dig anchors in good when you stop to camp).

To release the boats is easy, once the HB slows enuf just pull one boat in and be gone, then the other.

Oh, one more thing, when you slow down to stop while towing, never put the HB in reverse, especially if your tow ropes don't float. I've been down there with dive knives and snorkels cutting both of the Hboat props free while the wind was pushing us toward a nasty predicament........
Posted Image
07 Yukon 2500 XL 6.0L
Peoria, AZ

#14 Calnca

Calnca
  • Members
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:59 AM

We have our trip this year planned for August with three other couples (cobalt & SR folks.......ugh)......looking forward to the Powell trip as much as the NACRU trip......I'd guess this year we'll do over 7,500 miles with the trailer behind the F350 what with NACRU, Powell, Mead, Mohave and the ocean trips......
Cal

SoCal

2008 Sig 280, Volvo D/P 4.3's
2008 Ford F350 Dually Diesel Tow Truck

Posted Image Posted Image

#15 RoyW

RoyW
  • Members
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:25 AM

We have our trip this year planned for August with three other couples (cobalt & SR folks.......ugh)......looking forward to the Powell trip as much as the NACRU trip......I'd guess this year we'll do over 7,500 miles with the trailer behind the F350 what with NACRU, Powell, Mead, Mohave and the ocean trips......

Worth every mile and each farthing invested. Posted Image

n/a

#16 Toddler

Toddler
  • Members
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:01 AM

Still at the top of the bucket list..

I just told the Admiral about the Half-off.....

Gonna have to wait till...2012

Matt    

2006 256ssi, 496 BIII, Blue

6 Saturdays & a Sunday

9c582862-dab3-4312-8ca5-c7591a480183_zps

#17 taintedL80s

taintedL80s
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:47 PM

We Love!!! Powell. When are you going to be there in July. We haven't made plans yet, but July is in our usual time frame. Probably want to stay away around the 4th, but then again the fireworks show from Page is pretty fun to watch.
Posted Image
wife, kids, dog, truck, 5th wheel, boat
not necessarily in that order
1989 2100SX, she is a tainted lady from the 80's

Posted Image

#18 JHillz

JHillz
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:09 AM

One more suggestion for towing boats behind the HB use different length ropes for just in case. I have 3 trips planned this year to Powell. Mid April, Mid May and last week of July. Hope you guys enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.
Papa John as my grandkids call me. I still want to name my boat,
"Papa Johnz Water Taxi"
2000 Sunesta 252
5.7L GSi (280hp)/SX

#19 renegadewade

renegadewade
  • Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:39 PM

We Love!!! Powell. When are you going to be there in July. We haven't made plans yet, but July is in our usual time frame. Probably want to stay away around the 4th, but then again the fireworks show from Page is pretty fun to watch.
Posted Image

Tainted,

Love your boat! I am taking my family to Lake Powell June 12-24. This will be the first time we have gone for 2 weeks and we are really excited. This will be our first trip with our "new-to-us" 1989 2100SX. Looks very much like yours!

We launch out of Page, AZ. with a Laketime houseboat, Misty Morning. If you see us out there say hi!
Renegadewade
"HOOAH!"
1989 2100 SX
5.7 Mercruiser
Littleton, Colorado

#20 skiya

skiya
  • Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:27 AM

Tainted,

Love your boat! I am taking my family to Lake Powell June 12-24. This will be the first time we have gone for 2 weeks and we are really excited. This will be our first trip with our "new-to-us" 1989 2100SX. Looks very much like yours!

We launch out of Page, AZ. with a Laketime houseboat, Misty Morning. If you see us out there say hi!

Two weeks wow, We'll be out there the week after the 4th, July 12-16, Mon.-Fri. The start of monsoon season, should make for some interesting skies at sunrise and sunset. I see you live in Littleton, the admiral's sister lives there also. Just around the corner from Chatfield H.S., small world.
Posted Image

Samson wakeboard tower
'05 Silverado Z71
"SKI YA LATER"
Lake Mead