Volvo Penta DXP OSI

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Confused

Confused
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

We are looking at an 08 leftover 33' Signature with the Volvo Pentas. Anyone have any experience with these outdrives and/or this boat? We are trying to do our homework before dropping the big bucks. Thanks in advance for any info.

#2 Phil @ LKN

Phil @ LKN

Admiral of LKN - Self Appointed

• Members
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:07 PM

First, welcome to the forum and good luck on your forthcoming purchase.

This topic has been discussed here many, many times. Do a search (upper right of the screen) on the word "composite" and see a bunch of hits. Lots reasons they are good and some have had bad experiences. Personally, I have not had an issue. The key is to be sure they have the most recent bellows recall work done.

Phil at Lake Norman
2005 Signature 310 SOLD
Volvo 5.7 OSI-XDP
Paradise

ParadiseOnTheMove52-cr-1.jpg ParadiseOnTheMove05-crLarge-1.jpg

#3 mpm330

mpm330

Retired Admiral of the United Texas Fleet

• Members
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:25 PM

We are looking at an 08 leftover 33' Signature with the Volvo Pentas. Anyone have any experience with these outdrives and/or this boat? We are trying to do our homework before dropping the big bucks. Thanks in advance for any info.

I have a '09 330 Sig and think it is one the best boats on the market. The way the cockpit and cabin are setup is perfect for the way we use the boat. The boat has a ton of storage room, first boat that I have not filled all the storage. It handles like a dream, will hit around 50 at WOT, handles rough water wonderfully, and is just a real great boat. The quality of the Chap boats is very high and we couldn't be happer with the boat. As for engines/outdrives, can't help you there. I have Mercs in mine. I believe you are talking about the XDP Volvo and I would suggest you do a site search on XDP and see what has been said about the drive. With what has been said about the drives, would make sure that the dealer installed the 3 generation of bellows on the outdrives. There are a lot of positve things about Volvo. Things like maintenance is easier and the composit drive will not have a problem with corrison. I think with 3rd generation bellows you are going to be fine.

Did I happen to mention I Love My 330!

Welcome to the forum Confused . We are glad you are here and believe that you will find answers to a lot of your questions. We also provide some humor, of course at no charge to you other than the initiation fee you paid to join this forum ;)

A few pointers for you to do (if you have not already done so) to help us help you:
1. By clicking on your name in the upper right corner to bring up your options select my profile to add into your signature your location (geographic area).
2. Also under your signature add the type of boat you have and its mechanical systems, such as boat type, engine, drives, etc. This way you don't have to type it into to every post you put up. This will help us help you a lot! Without it, you may not get any answers.
3. Use the Search feature in the top right corner of the forum. There is a lot of good information on this forum that will answer many of your questions. We have a lot of experts here with a large amount of life experience.
4. Take a minute to review our Terms of Service, again right corner. There is good information in there that you will want to know including that we cannot discuss pricing. But read some of our other posts on here to learn the work around for that. ;)
5. We like pictures a lot! So when you get a chance, post some pics of your ride. Read through this thread to learn more about how to do so.
6. Take some time to look through the Help (upper right corner) and > Info Center) located under Chaparral Boats Forum on the main page. From there you will find parts guides, brochures, manuals, specifications, canvas installation manuals, vinyl care information, square gauge setup, weather links, computer desktop backgrounds, etc. Lots of good stuff there for you and your Chaparral!
7. Come back early and often to post. We are a community of friendly and some of us are border-line psychotic. But we admit to it and that's the first step to recovery ;)

Again, welcome to the asylum/forum and we look forward to more from you. Don't be a stranger.

Delivery_day_11.jpg

Mike
2009 Sig 330
Lady Christina
twin 350 mags / BIII with DTS
Lake Lewisville, The United Texas

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. ."
Thomas Jefferson

#4 Confused

Confused
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for all the helpful info. I will check out the search and post pics as soon as we take delivery.

#5 mpm330

mpm330

• Members
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for all the helpful info. I will check out the search and post pics as soon as we take delivery.

That sounds like more than you are looking at the boat. It sounds like you have decided on buying. You are going to love the 330 Sig. Make sure the dealer has put in the version 3 bellows.

Delivery_day_11.jpg

Mike
2009 Sig 330
Lady Christina

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. ."
Thomas Jefferson

#6 fredthenuke

fredthenuke

Future Banned Member of the Chaparral Forum! ;)

• Members
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

8.1 liter or 5.7 liter engines is my BIG question???

2006 Signature 310

Twin Volvo 5.7l OSi with XDP drives ($4000 a year in #%^$&%$ bellows repairs on average)

4.5 out of 5 Muskrats PREFER Chaparral!!!

#7 Confused

Confused
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:12 PM

5.7s. What is the BIG question? Is one or the other have good/bad issues?

#8 Diverman

Diverman
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:22 PM

From an owner of XDP drives, DO NOT DO IT!!! Do an internet search and try many different search words with composite and XDP and read all the treads that come up (not just this site). There as so many issues with thes (I have had many) and I know several mechanics that completely agree with this. I have several postings on here regarding these drives but I have chosen to not say more than this right now as I am "pursuing" this issue in a couple ways. At the very least, even IF you don't have problems (and it's a BIG if), you will most likely suffer a severe hit in resale value if a potential buyer has any idea about these!

The Chap 330 is the best layout of any boat that size and also very well made in my opinion. Don't hesitate to buy one as long as it is with ANY drive BUT the XDPs!
Eric
Lomani
2004 Signature 330
Twin 5.7L Volvos and OCEAN X DRIVES!!!
San Diego, CA

#9 fredthenuke

fredthenuke

Future Banned Member of the Chaparral Forum! ;)

• Members
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

The 8.1s have a lot of problems snapping vertical shafts.

2006 Signature 310

Twin Volvo 5.7l OSi with XDP drives ($4000 a year in #%^$&%$ bellows repairs on average)

4.5 out of 5 Muskrats PREFER Chaparral!!!

#10 hoteo

hoteo
  • Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:25 PM

Love my boat. mercs
Posted Image
2006 330 Signature/T350 MPI Bravo II
Cape Vincent, NY

#11 mpm330

mpm330

• Members
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:29 PM

Love my boat. mercs

The 330 is a really great boat! There is nothing like it from any other manufacture. The layout and the quality is better than anyone else is making. I wouldn't trade it for anything else in its size. The XDP drives are something to think about, but some have had some major problems, others love them. If this was the 350 Sig with the 8.1 engines I wouldn't even consider it with those drives, but again there are some positive thing with Volvo. Did I mention I love my boat.

Delivery_day_11.jpg

Mike
2009 Sig 330
Lady Christina

Thomas Jefferson

#12 jeff

jeff

Commander of the Pacific Fleet

• Members
  • 8,927 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:51 PM

From an owner of XDP drives, DO NOT DO IT!!! Do an internet search and try many different search words with composite and XDP and read all the treads that come up (not just this site). There as so many issues with thes (I have had many) and I know several mechanics that completely agree with this. I have several postings on here regarding these drives but I have chosen to not say more than this right now as I am "pursuing" this issue in a couple ways. At the very least, even IF you don't have problems (and it's a BIG if), you will most likely suffer a severe hit in resale value if a potential buyer has any idea about these!

The Chap 330 is the best layout of any boat that size and also very well made in my opinion. Don't hesitate to buy one as long as it is with ANY drive BUT the XDPs!

I have XDP drives on my 290. From my prior posts here I had issues with the bellows failing on the drives, and had a drive replaced, as well upper drive hsafts/u-joints replaced twice from torn bellows. Once Volvo sent my mechanic the version 3 bellows, all of the tearing and bellows failures have stopped, and for the last 1.5 years I have had no further issues with the XDP drives. Volvo really took care of the issues that I had with the drives, so I have nothing bad to say about them.

As to the 8.1L engines, Volvo supposedly have redesigned the vertical drive shafts on the 8.1L engines to prevent the torque of the engines from snapping the shafts. With a 5.7L engine, you shouldbe fine....just make sure that you have the version 3 bellows installed.

As to resale value, at this time there is no way to know if there will be a "big hit" in the value of the boat with an XDP drive, as only time will tell if there will be a greater depreciation on a boat with XDP drives when they are sold to a new owner
2006 Signature 290 "Shock Wave"
twin 4.3L Volvo Penta OSi engines
twin XDP composite outdrives now Ocean X drives...finally
Boating out of Long Beach, CA

#13 Confused

Confused
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

I have XDP drives on my 290. From my prior posts here I had issues with the bellows failing on the drives, and had a drive replaced, as well upper drive hsafts/u-joints replaced twice from torn bellows. Once Volvo sent my mechanic the version 3 bellows, all of the tearing and bellows failures have stopped, and for the last 1.5 years I have had no further issues with the XDP drives. Volvo really took care of the issues that I had with the drives, so I have nothing bad to say about them.

As to the 8.1L engines, Volvo supposedly have redesigned the vertical drive shafts on the 8.1L engines to prevent the torque of the engines from snapping the shafts. With a 5.7L engine, you shouldbe fine....just make sure that you have the version 3 bellows installed.

As to resale value, at this time there is no way to know if there will be a "big hit" in the value of the boat with an XDP drive, as only time will tell if there will be a greater depreciation on a boat with XDP drives when they are sold to a new owner

#14 Confused

Confused
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:12 PM

Thanks so much for all the info. I think we need to make sure that the version 3 bellows are installed before we take delivery and keep our fingers crossed we will be OK. The Rinker we were considering had Mercs so there was no issue there but there is nothing like the quality and layout of the Chap. Again, thanks for the help. Your wisdom and advice is greatly appreciated before we make such an investment. Oh, and I agree about taking a 'hit' - from what I have looked at though in the used catagory, doesn't seem to be a big issue.

#15 Diverman

Diverman
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:42 PM

I just want to make sure you are well informed about the XDP on any boat before you decide to go that route. I do know that what is on this forum and other forums are just the tip of the iceberg of issues on this boat. I have researched these thoroughly, talked to mechanics, insurance companies, marine surveyors and other boaters with "issues". As I mentioned, I cannot really say a whole lot more at this point. You maybe right at this time that there may not be a huge hit to resale- yet. There are still a lot of potential boat buyers who do not know about XDPs yet and I was one of those just a year ago. I wouldn't spend this much time on my soapbox if I didn't have a good understanding of this. There are many other potential issues in addition to bellows issues (yes- the bellows are much less of an issue with rev 3) with one being delamination of the composite material that isn't talked about as much. I have another 330 in my marina that had the drive housing material separate by over 1/2". I had both drives completely rebuilt (15k deer out of my pocket) and a catastrophic failure of the brand new U-joint within 1 hour of being on the water and had to be towed in. The mechanics were very surprised the boat didn't sink.

Will you have problems with XDP drives? Not necessarily. Are you dramatically increasing the odds of having major failures and possibly safety issues? I firmly believe so. If you still choose to go with a 330 with these drives, please make sure all of your safety equipment and radio is all up to snuff and easy to access- I know it should be anyhow. I also highly suggest a visual check of your drives and bellows as often as you can to catch anything that could become a major situation. I will now relinquish the soapbox! :beat-dead-horse: :thththsoapbox2-1:
Eric
Lomani
2004 Signature 330
San Diego, CA

#16 Confused

Confused
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:42 PM

I just want to make sure you are well informed about the XDP on any boat before you decide to go that route. I do know that what is on this forum and other forums are just the tip of the iceberg of issues on this boat. I have researched these thoroughly, talked to mechanics, insurance companies, marine surveyors and other boaters with "issues". As I mentioned, I cannot really say a whole lot more at this point. You maybe right at this time that there may not be a huge hit to resale- yet. There are still a lot of potential boat buyers who do not know about XDPs yet and I was one of those just a year ago. I wouldn't spend this much time on my soapbox if I didn't have a good understanding of this. There are many other potential issues in addition to bellows issues (yes- the bellows are much less of an issue with rev 3) with one being delamination of the composite material that isn't talked about as much. I have another 330 in my marina that had the drive housing material separate by over 1/2". I had both drives completely rebuilt (15k deer out of my pocket) and a catastrophic failure of the brand new U-joint within 1 hour of being on the water and had to be towed in. The mechanics were very surprised the boat didn't sink.

Will you have problems with XDP drives? Not necessarily. Are you dramatically increasing the odds of having major failures and possibly safety issues? I firmly believe so. If you still choose to go with a 330 with these drives, please make sure all of your safety equipment and radio is all up to snuff and easy to access- I know it should be anyhow. I also highly suggest a visual check of your drives and bellows as often as you can to catch anything that could become a major situation. I will now relinquish the soapbox! :beat-dead-horse: :thththsoapbox2-1:

#17 Confused

Confused
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

Thank you for sharing your experience(s). We are trying to be well informd and that is why we ar asking and comparing. The Chap has everything we want and the layout is wonderful. However, we may forgo the beauty if there are issues with the mechanics. Again, thanks for all the expertise.

#18 TXTWIN

TXTWIN
  • Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:32 PM

I have the 330 with the XDP drives, owned it for about a year now. I will say, we love the layout of the boat, the features, and all the items that are not related to the engine/outdrives. We would repurchase a 330 in a heartbeat! As for the mechanicals...can't say they are my favorite item on the boat. After spending 4000 deer on bellows (did mine before the recall), manifolds, tune up, etc... We snapped our upper shaft over Memorial Day weekend last summer and spent the whole summer without an engine. Only had 4hrs since the maintenance was done. At a cost of over 1500 deer to fix, needless to say not fun. Haven't gotten out much yet this year, but hoping to not have any issues, and get to really enjoy the boat. If not, I will trade the boat in on one with Mercruisers and mark it up as a lesson learned (an expensive one). Would I go with Volvo's again??? Maybe...not sure. I can tell you in 7 years, I haven't had issues with the 350/Mercruiser Bravo III setup on my smaller bowrider. I know, not the same boat, or the same application, but it is what I have to compare against.

Did I mention, we love the set up of the actual boat?
Kris
"optional necessity"
'05 330 Signature
Twin 320hp 5.7 OSI w/DPS-A (Yep, the XDPs are gone!)
Lake Belton, TX
Posted Image

#19 Diverman

Diverman
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:08 AM

I have the 330 with the XDP drives, owned it for about a year now. I will say, we love the layout of the boat, the features, and all the items that are not related to the engine/outdrives. We would repurchase a 330 in a heartbeat! As for the mechanicals...can't say they are my favorite item on the boat. After spending 4000 deer on bellows (did mine before the recall), manifolds, tune up, etc... We snapped our upper shaft over Memorial Day weekend last summer and spent the whole summer without an engine. Only had 4hrs since the maintenance was done. At a cost of over 1500 deer to fix, needless to say not fun. Haven't gotten out much yet this year, but hoping to not have any issues, and get to really enjoy the boat. If not, I will trade the boat in on one with Mercruisers and mark it up as a lesson learned (an expensive one). Would I go with Volvo's again??? Maybe...not sure. I can tell you in 7 years, I haven't had issues with the 350/Mercruiser Bravo III setup on my smaller bowrider. I know, not the same boat, or the same application, but it is what I have to compare against.

My girlfriend and I ABSOLUTELY love the 330 layout as well! There was no question which make and which model we were going to buy and it became even more evident with every other brand and model of boat we looked at. I couldn't agree more with you on this boat but I would still likely go with Volvo again if it were any drive but XDPs. I am sorry to hear you have had so many problems and that you boat was out of commission for such a long time. It will be getting close to 3 months since I have had my boat now. I feel your pain and hope you get much more time to enjoy your boat! :beer-7687-1:
Eric
Lomani
2004 Signature 330
San Diego, CA

#20 jeff

jeff

Commander of the Pacific Fleet

• Members
  • 8,927 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:36 AM

My question is, why did it take the whole summer to fix the drive issue?

I had my whole XDP drive replaced in about 2 weeks from the time the boat was hauled, including the time Volvo had to take to approve the replacement.
2006 Signature 290 "Shock Wave"
twin 4.3L Volvo Penta OSi engines
twin XDP composite outdrives now Ocean X drives...finally
Boating out of Long Beach, CA