• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 miamibeachbums

miamibeachbums
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:01 PM

Hello all,

Maybe someone can help with this. I've got a 216SSI with a Volvo 5.0 GI SX. I've got a surging issue. The boat had been sitting for a while and got water in the fuel tank. I drained the system, replaced the filter, cleaned out all lines and cleaned the injectors as much as possible. Found out that one of the two full pumps on the electric fuel pump system had frozen. I got both pumps working again and cleaned. Put the system back together and got the engine running. It starts now, and seems to accelerate out of gear fine. But while under power I get some surging at about 1500 RPM and also after acclerating up to speed the engine just pulls back and dies. I can restart, but continue to have the same issue. I'm figuring some kind of fuel issue, because I can hear the fuel pumps running and their humming sound seems to change in pitch with the surging. Wondering if the previouly frozen pump is just shot! But they both seem to be running. I also checked the fuel filter again and it's has clean fuel in it, so it's not water again. Thought about changing the plugs, rotor and cap, but they're not that old. If anyone has any ideas here, I would truly appreciate it. Want to try anything before spending [no pricing discussion per Terms of Service] for a new fuel pump system. Thanks,
Danny Martin
Danny Martin
2001 216SSI
Volvo Penta 5.0 GI SX (250HP)
LOA 21.6

#2 sod

sod
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

First thing, purchase a good service manual for your engine and outdrive. You will wind up using this alot. Second you will probably need to check the fuel rail pressure. The manual should show you how and where to attach a pressure guage. This might tell you if the pumps are working properly. Remember you are working with gas, so be very careful to use the correct gauge and type of hose. I'm sure someone will post in with more info soon. Good luck.
Every time I try to think...nothing happens. Curly, 3Stooges
2001 230 SSI
5.7 260HP Merc B3

#3 SterndriveEd

SterndriveEd
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:49 PM

Typically the fuel rail has a test connection on it. This is where a fuel psi gauge will connect. You will need to find out the spec. for the pressure, as well as the volume that the fuel pump should be delivering. The fuel pump is turned on manually for this test to keep it running while the engine is not running. Again be carefull with explosive fuel.

#4 miamibeachbums

miamibeachbums
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:35 AM

Thanks guys, I'll start with that. As I'm looking, any good locations on the web for service manuals?

Thanks
Danny Martin
2001 216SSI
LOA 21.6

#5 jeff

jeff

Commander of the Pacific Fleet

• Members
  • 8,927 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:17 PM

I would venture to suggest that either you low pressure or high pressure pump is bad. It would depend on which side of the pump was frozen. If you have surging, I would suspect the high pressure side of the pump. I had a fuel pump issue on my 4.3L OSi engine, had some of the same symptoms you are having, mostly loss of power on the top end. Changed out the entire fuel pump system (Volvo did not have separate fuel pumps available at the time), and the new pump corrected the problems.
2006 Signature 290 "Shock Wave"
twin 4.3L Volvo Penta OSi engines
twin XDP composite outdrives now Ocean X drives...finally
Boating out of Long Beach, CA

#6 miamibeachbums

miamibeachbums
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:21 PM

Hey all,

Just wanted to say thanks for the help! Turned out to be the whole fuel pump system. Thought I could get away pulling the unit apart and cleaning it after some water damage, but the unit isn't designed to be opened. I first just changed the high pressure pump, but still had the same problems as before. Turned out to be the whole unit. Now I have an extra HI pressure pump as a back up. Anyways, thanks for all the help everyone.

I am looking to change my standard 3 bladed prop to something a little more efficient. Read the post on the 2009 SSI prop change, I guess I'll go with something like a 4 bladed 18 Stainless, but if anyone has any other thoughts to pitch in, let me know.

Thanks again,
Danny Martin
Danny Martin
2001 216SSI
LOA 21.6

#7 Shepherd

Shepherd

First Sea Lord

• Validating
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:39 PM

Glad you're good to go again on the fuel system. Any advice from Jeff is spot-on.

Just to make note, your 2001 216 SSi is the same hull as used in the 220 SSi. 2009 and newer 216 SSi W/T boats use a whole new hull.
The most important things in life aren't things.
Anthony J. D'Angelo

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image