Photo

Fresh or Salt Water

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Fresh or Salt Water (163 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favortie

1. Fresh Water (113 votes [69.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.33%

2. Salt Water (50 votes [30.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Boat Amigo 3

Boat Amigo 3
  • Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:56 PM

For me its fresh water -

No scary fish [sharks, etc.]
No jelly fish
Easy and interesting places to dock like restaurants
No waves
Do not need to deal with tides

I can think of more but I will let you do that.
Captain of Lake Hopatcong [self appointed]
5Cs
246 SSI B3 2006 350 Merc

Posted Image Posted Image

#2 dib52

dib52
  • Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:10 PM

Started boating in the salt waters of the ICW in the Jersey Shore area. Since our move to Texas, now we're strictly fresh water boaters. I do miss that salty crust you get when spending a day on the boat down the shore!
Posted ImagePosted Image
2008 210 SSI
5.0 Merc MPI Alpha (260 HP)
4 Blade Aluminum 14x20P
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4
Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Package
3.73 Gear Ratio
Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow Exhaust
Lake Lavon, Tx

#3 Randy

Randy

Captain STCA

• Members
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:15 PM

I prefer deep sea fishing (20-40 nm), but use fresh water for everything else...Good poll BA3
Randy

Abbie Ruth
Canyon Lake, TX
2001 Sunesta 232
5.0 Merc EFI, Alpha

"Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson

#4 Phil @ LKN

Phil @ LKN

Admiral of LKN - Self Appointed

• Members
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:44 AM

I too grew up with boating (sailing) in the salt waters of Long Island and Block Island Sounds. Now it's fresh water power boating and we love it. Much easier without the worries of tides and currents. Less wear and tear without the salt. However, I do miss the walks on the beach and the sail boat racing.

Phil at Lake Norman
2005 Signature 310 SOLD
Volvo 5.7 OSI-XDP
Paradise

ParadiseOnTheMove52-cr-1.jpg ParadiseOnTheMove05-crLarge-1.jpg

#5 Seamus

Seamus
  • Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:15 AM

For pleasure boating, fresh water is my choice. Definitely like not having to worry about tides and jelly fish. Gotta watch out for large snapping turtles though! B)
Lake George NY
2002 Signature 280 (now the old 290) 30'8" LOA, 10' Beam
Twin 5.0L 220hp Merc's, Bravo II
"Slainte" (Irish Language, translates to "To Your Health!" or "Cheers!")

#6 mrfixit

mrfixit
  • Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:29 AM

Started boating in the salt waters of the ICW in the Jersey Shore area. Since our move to Texas, now we're strictly fresh water boaters. I do miss that salty crust you get when spending a day on the boat down the shore!

spoken like a true jersian "down the shore"

newarch055-1.jpg
08 276 ssx
"Time of Our Life"
8.1 volvo
2010 F150 Tow vehicle

#7 Sean N.

Sean N.
  • Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:08 AM

We used to boat in salt exclusively, but now are on the Potomac River. Fresh water, but still tidal (sometimes VERY tidal), and not too far from brackish, then salt. I've seen jellyfish at Port Tobacco, a couple miles upstream of the Rt. 301 bridge, which is considered the salt-fresh cutoff line for everyone, including my tow insurance. Late in the season, the crab pots are strewn like a mine field as far upstream as Quantico, VA. I enjoy the fresh water dock, and definitely don't enjoy the boat turning into a 'salt-sicle' when we venture into the Chesapeake. Too much cleaning for me.
2008 310 Signature
"Always Saturday"
Occoquan, Va

#8 Wine Maker

Wine Maker

The Member Formerly Known as maa!

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:17 AM

Started boating in Niantic as a kid. My Dad, me, and others (family sometimes or friends of my Dad) would rent a huge rowboat in the bayside. At first we had only a 5hp which barely moved us thru the race going under the bridges to get out to Bartlett's Reef. Oh the stories I can tell...

Anyway after having something bigger on the CT River (the last being our 215SSi) we decided we needed more space and moved our boating to the LIS. With Mystic as our home away from home we have the entire east coast to prowl. There are some things about the river I miss though; fireworks in Hartford, the "hidey" holes we can take our dink into, Selden's Creek but now that the cliffs are gone not as much, the night runs. But the Sound is wide open and the water is clean (not always so for the river) and perhaps now with our radar we can go out at night I hope.

But as my signature indicates it matters not what waters I am on, only that I am on the water when I'm gone.
Posted Image
2008 Sig 270 VP 8.1Gi-JF w/XDP-B outdrive
Take me across the water, for only there shall I find peace
Cast away my ashes there and grant then my release
Take me across the water, be it pond, or lake, or sea
Down along a lazy river, it matters not to me
Upon a raft, rowboat, or sailing ship
On any vessel you may board
Away across the water I seek to find accord
With the daemons which I harbor inside my troubled mind
Cast me, then, upon the water
Fulfill the dream I left behind

#9 DaveM

DaveM
  • Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:28 AM

I have never boated in anything but salt water.
What is this thing you guys call a lake?
Posted Image
Dave M.
Patchogue River, Long Island, NY
2005 Chaparral Signature 310
Mercruiser 5.0L MPI Bravo III

#10 Phil @ LKN

Phil @ LKN

• Members
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:31 AM

Started boating in Niantic as a kid. My Dad, me, and others (family sometimes or friends of my Dad) would rent a huge rowboat in the bayside. At first we had only a 5hp which barely moved us thru the race going under the bridges to get out to Bartlett's Reef. Oh the stories I can tell...

Anyway after having something bigger on the CT River (the last being our 215SSi) we decided we needed more space and moved our boating to the LIS. With Mystic as our home away from home we have the entire east coast to prowl. There are some things about the river I miss though; fireworks in Hartford, the "hidey" holes we can take our dink into, Selden's Creek but now that the cliffs are gone not as much, the night runs. But the Sound is wide open and the water is clean (not always so for the river) and perhaps now with our radar we can go out at night I hope.

But as my signature indicates it matters not what waters I am on, only that I am on the water when I'm gone.

What do you mean about "the cliffs are gone" at Selden's Creek??? also, do they still have fireworks on the Thmaes in New London?? We went to those a few times in out 26 foot Pearson. It was tough getting back to Noank especially if there was no moon. We just picked a bigger boat that had GPS or Radar and said Noank or Mystic on the stern and followed them back.

Phil at Lake Norman
2005 Signature 310 SOLD
Volvo 5.7 OSI-XDP
Paradise

#11 Doxology

Doxology

Now a Flagged Rear Admiral of the LKN Sunesta Fleet

• Members
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:41 AM

Growing up we spent boating off of Litchfield Beach, actually Murrels Inlet in SC. Now that we live on LKN and have experienced lake boating, that is my preference. No tides or currents to deal with (especially during the week when there is no traffic on the lake) and I do not miss the salt.

Good poll BA3.

Chris & Colleen - Lake Norman (LKN)

"Docksology" 2003 Sunesta 242 w/Volvo Penta 5.7

================================================================================

Rescue Boat from Ft. Lauderdale, FL after Hurricane Wilma.- August 2007. Sea worthy by December 2007.
Before and After Pics | About the name Docksology

Also have 2 Toy Poodles as First Mates - Nutmeg (born July 25, 2004) & Nestle (born June 10, 2007)

Other toy ---> 1991 Honda Goldwing Interstate 1500 Anniversary Edition

"The less one knows, the more he thinks he knows, and the more willing he is to employ any and all measures to enforce his views upon others."
Quote by Paul Harris, Founder of Rotary

#12 referee77

referee77
  • Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:11 AM

There should be an option for both! :lol:

Here in Vancouver there are so many amazing lakes and so many amazing places on the ocean that it's hard to choose a favorite. We boat in both fresh and salt water and each has it's pros/cons but we enjoy each! So far this season we have only been in fresh water....but on the May long weekend (May 21-24) we will be in the salt (and some fresh)!
Posted Image

"L'ATATUDE"
2008 Chaparral Signature 270.
Mercruiser 496 BIII (375hp).
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Ford F350 CrewCab Pickup.
Husband of cj-orca on this forum.

#13 Phil @ LKN

Phil @ LKN

• Members
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

I think you'll find that those who boat in fresh water like it and those who boat in salt water like it. Hence we just like boating on the water and it does not matter where.

I've been known to boat in bath water and found that enjoyable too!! :thsmilie_water_119-1: :thl_speedboat: :boating: especially with the admiral along. Up Periscope!! :captain: :wub:

Phil at Lake Norman
2005 Signature 310 SOLD
Volvo 5.7 OSI-XDP
Paradise

#14 Doxology

Doxology

• Members
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:38 PM

I think you'll find that those who boat in fresh water like it and those who boat in salt water like it. Hence we just like boating on the water and it does not matter where.

I've been known to boat in bath water and found that enjoyable too!! :thsmilie_water_119-1: :thl_speedboat: :boating: especially with the admiral along. Up Periscope!! :captain: :wub:

Family content only!! :P

Posted Image

================================================================================

Rescue Boat from Ft. Lauderdale, FL after Hurricane Wilma.- August 2007. Sea worthy by December 2007.

Also have 2 Toy Poodles as First Mates - Nutmeg (born July 25, 2004) & Nestle (born June 10, 2007)

"The less one knows, the more he thinks he knows, and the more willing he is to employ any and all measures to enforce his views upon others."

#15 birdog

birdog
  • Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:06 PM

I'm right on the coast so I have both. I spent most of my time growing up on the rivers so I'm more comfortable on fresh...however, I really love going out to one of the islands off the coast (see photo below). The salt water in so clear here and the beaches so white and "fluffy". It's great!

I picked salt but there should be an option for both.
2003 Signature 280 (2004-2010 290)
30'8" with 10"beam Twin M5.0L MPI ALPHA

"MY MARIA"

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Phil @ LKN

Phil @ LKN

• Members
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:00 PM

Family content only!! :P

Posted Image

You have a dirty mind!!

Phil at Lake Norman
2005 Signature 310 SOLD
Volvo 5.7 OSI-XDP
Paradise

#17 Doxology

Doxology

• Members
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

You have a dirty mind!!

I was just following yours :P :o ;) :D

#18 JasonMazz

JasonMazz
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

I'm a salt water person. I'm like the taste and smell of the salt air, and growing up on the Panhandle of Florida, I've grown used to secluded anchorages, water side watering holes, clear water and the most beautiful white beaches in the world, IMO. (Well, the clear water and white beaches may only last until this weekend when they will probably get covered with oil.)
m/v On Site
2008 Chaparral 310 Signature
Twin Volvo Penta 5.0 OSI-GF Ocean X Drives
Gulf Breeze, FL

#19 Our Turn

Our Turn
  • Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:13 PM

I prefer my salt on the rim of a glass, and the feel of fresh water on my body. Although I must admit the times I have spent off shore have always been enjoyable and I love the sea air, whether from boat or beach!

2d245d59-7bae-4c26-bc16-d2771317df4c_zps

Don & Mary Jo
"Our Turn too"
2008 Signature 330, Volvo 5.7 Gi DuoProps
Lake Minnetonka, Wayzata Marine marina
Minnesota

#20 professor48

professor48
  • Members
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:23 PM

I grew up fishing on the south shore of Long Island, a 4 1/2 to 5 hour drive from Brooklyn, NY. We boat on the south shore in Great South Bay and Moriches Bay. There are no really large lakes on Long Island so power boating is either in the bay or the ocean. Now if only the fishing were as good as it was 55 years ago. Safe boating, all, wherever you boat. Hy
professor48