What are the main differences between

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jason311

Jason311
  • Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:59 AM

What are the main differences between a 2007 256 SSI vs 256 SSX??
You only go around once- might as well be on the water!

SOLD- 01 Sunesta 233
Future Chap Purchase in the Works for Summer 2010
05 Z71 Suburban

#2 Down the Shore

Down the Shore

Team Chaparral Jester

• Members
  • 4,188 posts
  • Location:The Jersey Shore of course - where else do you go "Down the Shore"

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:27 AM

What are the main differences between a 2007 256 SSI vs 256 SSX??

Biggest difference is the transom entrance. The SSX has the "walk on" feature and the SSI has the "climb over" feature. You can, however, remove the center part of the seating and have the "walk on" feature with the SSI - but then you have the cushion storage issue.

My wife was "SOLD" on the SSX walk on feature.

I attached a comparison pic I made when shopping for mine - not sure if it appears for you. If you want it and it doesn't I can PM you with it.

Attached Files

Kevin - Down the Shore
2008 256 SSX "Just Ducky"
Posted Image

#3 Jason311

Jason311
  • Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:37 AM

Biggest difference is the transom entrance. The SSX has the "walk on" feature and the SSI has the "climb over" feature. You can, however, remove the center part of the seating and have the "walk on" feature with the SSI - but then you have the cushion storage issue.

My wife was "SOLD" on the SSX walk on feature.
I attached a comparison pic I made when shopping for mine - not sure if it appears for you. If you want it and it doesn't I can PM you with it.

Thanks- on the website- the dash looks sportier to me on the SSX as well. SSI has a bigger cushion to layout on- but I agree- you need walk on access for sure! I love our Sunesta's access. We have the transon entrance and the Starboard door- SSX should have the starboard door- we use that one the most. I love the new SSX with the grill- don't want to drop that kind of coin on a boat yet. Anyone have an 08 yet with the grill option? How well does the grill work if you've used it?

SOLD- 01 Sunesta 233
05 Z71 Suburban

#4 lake time

lake time
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:11 PM

Yes the walk thru is nice but you do give up some seating on that side of the boat.
Notice the seating area by the sink area is smaller.
We opted for the SSI and I hope they keep making it because we love the layout for our next boat in a couple of years.

#5 Jason311

Jason311
  • Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:19 PM

Yes the walk thru is nice but you do give up some seating on that side of the boat.
Notice the seating area by the sink area is smaller.
We opted for the SSI and I hope they keep making it because we love the layout for our next boat in a couple of years.

I definitely see your point about the seating- you can never have to much seating. How do you enter your boat with coolers etc. Do you have everyone walk over the cushion on the transom? If so- i wonder how that holds up long term??

SOLD- 01 Sunesta 233
05 Z71 Suburban

#6 Down the Shore

Down the Shore

Team Chaparral Jester

• Members
  • 4,188 posts
  • Location:The Jersey Shore of course - where else do you go "Down the Shore"

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:44 PM

I definitely see your point about the seating- you can never have to much seating. How do you enter your boat with coolers etc. Do you have everyone walk over the cushion on the transom? If so- i wonder how that holds up long term??

Agreed to more seating - but you get more "move around" room in the SSX - cooler storage area and table as well.

As for loading on the SSI - you can take the center rear seat out and have a walk through.
Kevin - Down the Shore
2008 256 SSX "Just Ducky"
Posted Image

#7 sheehyjo

sheehyjo
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:50 PM

I have the 246 ssi and we just stow the center cushions when we dock up and put them back in when we are going out the canal. It only takes a minute and it saves them from some abuse. I also leave them out when we are just going wakeboarding to make it easier to climb in and out.

Isn't another difference the hull shape? I was under the impression that the hull was a little deeper on the SSI than the SSX. I thought the SSX was in between the SSI and Sunesta.

#8 Shepherd

Shepherd

First Sea Lord

• Validating
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:51 PM

I have the 246 ssi and we just stow the center cushions when we dock up and put them back in when we are going out the canal. It only takes a minute and it saves them from some abuse. I also leave them out when we are just going wakeboarding to make it easier to climb in and out.

Isn't another difference the hull shape? I was under the impression that the hull was a little deeper on the SSI than the SSX. I thought the SSX was in between the SSI and Sunesta.

Same hulls: 216/220 SSi, 236 SSi, and 236 SSx all use the same hull design, with the integrated swim platforms on the 236 models being only real hull variation. New 244 Sunesta WideTech uses a brand new hullpad design.

255 SSi, 256 SSi, 256 SSx and new 264 Sunesta WideTech all use the same hull. Same goes for the 275 SSi, 276 SSi/SSx and new 284 Sunesta WideTech.

Main difference in the SSi and SSx is seating and feature/material content. i.e. SS windshield header vs. painted aluminum. SSx is higher priced as a result over their SSi brethren. Makes it easier for a customer to find a boat that matches their tastes and need without any penalty in the ride.

Chris
Gordon Marine
1000 Islands
Canada
The most important things in life aren't things.
Anthony J. D'Angelo

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image