Outdrives will not go up!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 christon

christon
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:27 PM

Hi , this is my second Chaparral. Before I had a newer 2003 235 ssi, which I never had problems. I traded it for a bigger, but older 1990 Signature 300. That's where I started getting familiar with all the boat problems... Now my outdrive trim will not go up any more. It has twins 305's with alfa 1. They worked before fine , till I used the trailer legs up button during Pottahawk boat weekend. They went down OK, but now will not come up. Neither by the trim buttons on the throttle controls or by the trailer legs buttons. If I press down the both motors make a noise and try to go down ( but nowhere to go anymore), if I press up nothing happens at all- dead silence, both with the throttle switches or with the trailer legs buttons. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

#2 Duane2135

Duane2135
  • Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:45 PM

If they still try to go down, but won't go up using the various sources, then I'm sure it's the up solenoid that has given up. Good news is a replacement is only around 25 deer.
Duane652000
1995 2135SST 5.7 B3
Posted Image

#3 Shepherd

Shepherd

First Sea Lord

• Validating
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:39 PM

Seeing you have twin drives, and neither will go up, but both will go down, I think the odds of 2 up solenoids puking at the same time are low. Strongly urge you to take a look at the 3-pin prong going to the trim pump and solenoids. Sounds like a classic scenario whereby the green pin (down) is touching, but the blue (up) pin isn't. Often the gear clamp holding the 3-pin connector is too tight or too loose.

Merc changed the design to a 4 pin Packard style in 2005 or so, and nary a problem since the re-design.

Item # 6 in the link below. Give it a wiggle test.
http://www.marinepar... 99964/2203-190
The most important things in life aren't things.
Anthony J. D'Angelo

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Duane2135

Duane2135
  • Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

Shepherd's the expert. I figured even with dual motors there would be one pump and solenoids. Guess not, lol
Duane652000
1995 2135SST 5.7 B3
Posted Image

#5 2strokemerc

2strokemerc
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:56 AM

I don't know anything about twins, but could it be the trim limit switch. Not sure if there is one or two on your boat. I was having trouble with my trim, always went down but after ten minutes of running the up selection would always quit working. The fellow across the street, (a retired marine mechanic) told me it was common for the solenoid to act up. So I replaced the solenoid, no change. The last trip out, I unplugged the trim switch wires and put in a jumper. Trim worked both directions all day. Just had to be careful not to trim up too much. If it continues to work properly the next couple times I go out, well then I'll be buying a new trim limit switch. I would do whatever Shepherd suggests first though.
1985 Chaparral 178
2.5 Mercruiser, Alpha 1

#6 Duane2135

Duane2135
  • Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

2strokemerc, it's not the trim limit switch because that isn't in the loop when using the trailer controls at the rear of the motor. The OP said he's tried all buttons including the trailer buttons to lift the lower units.
Duane652000
1995 2135SST 5.7 B3
Posted Image

#7 2strokemerc

2strokemerc
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:03 PM

After looking at a wiring diagram I'm thinking I have a bad connection somewhere. Will have to wait until the temps cool a bit to play with it some more. But as long as it's working all is good.
1985 Chaparral 178
2.5 Mercruiser, Alpha 1

#8 christon

christon
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Tommorow going back to the boat after a long hot week trying to work and keep up with the bills... Will try to look at the 3-pin prong going to the trim pump and solenoids. But aren't there 2 of them since I've got twins? One thing I already learned is green for down and blue for up! Will let you know. Thanks!

#9 SST

SST
  • Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:25 PM

That's funny that I'm reading this. My boat is doing the same thing. Ever since I got it back from the mechanic, it hasn't been working properly. The throttle trim switch works in both directions when moving. But when entering shallow water and I want to raise it....won't move up until I use the trailer switch.

1987-235XLC
Mercruiser Magnum 350/Alpha One
80gal tank @ 6 gal/hr 3000rpm
1996 Ford Bronco 199K+ miles
1977 Trans Am/6.6L 4 speed/ 79840 miles-Sold

23Algosea7-2-2012-ds.jpg

#10 Shepherd

Shepherd

First Sea Lord

• Validating
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:43 AM

That's funny that I'm reading this. My boat is doing the same thing. Ever since I got it back from the mechanic, it hasn't been working properly. The throttle trim switch works in both directions when moving. But when entering shallow water and I want to raise it....won't move up until I use the trailer switch.

Sir, it sounds to me like everything is as it should be on your boat. The whole point of the trim limit is to make it so one can't raise the drive too high while cruising. Trim limit switch usually cuts off the trim switch at the half way up point on the gauge...

Newer Chaparral's with MerCruiser power have a single 2-position trim switch. 1st detent operates the trim upto the trim limit, then pushing harder to engage the 2nd detent allows the drive to raise up in the 'trailer' position.
Anthony J. D'Angelo

#11 SST

SST
  • Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:53 AM

Since I've had the boat, the raising of the outdrive has always been by the throttle trim switch, either all the way up or down while in the water. I have never needed the trailer switch to raise it while in the water, moving or not.

1987-235XLC

23Algosea7-2-2012-ds.jpg

#12 Shepherd

Shepherd

First Sea Lord

• Validating
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

Did the tech change out the trim sender kit? Or perhaps he/she noticed the trim limit side wasn't set properly, and simply adjusted it so the trim limit kicks in now. The intent of the trim limit is to protect the drive U-Joints and the operator if the drive should raise up too high while at speed.
Anthony J. D'Angelo

#13 taperk600

taperk600
  • Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:52 AM

Shep.... what would you suggest for a next step if both solenoids (up & down) were already changed (partly for piece of mind) and the 3 prong plug is/seems to be contacting both up & down posts but no action using throttle switch for up, but trailer switch does work ? Bravo3 drive BTW....

sorry to hijack the thread, but it's all related at some point I guess.......

2013 F150 Super Crew Lariat EcoBoost White Platinum Tri-Coat

2005 260 SSI 496 Mag/B3, Arch and killer stereo !!!
1999 233 Sunesta LE / 5.7 EFI & Bravo 3 ( SOLD, but we have great memories from it !!)

2014 Arctic Cat ZR6000-SP RR
2010 Arctic Cat 500 SnoPro/D&D 720

2007 Arctic Cat F6LXR (wife's)
Scuba year 'round

#14 Shepherd

Shepherd

First Sea Lord

• Validating
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

Your Sunesta most likely needs a new trim sender kit, Merc part # 805320A1. Sounds like the trim limit side is shorted out. There has been a few posts on here on how to adjust the trim limit switch, as it could be all that's wrong...here's an example.

http://forum.chaparr...showtopic=12900
Anthony J. D'Angelo

#15 taperk600

taperk600
  • Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:58 PM

Thanks Shep. Will look into that tomorrow as I am finally able to work on our boat. I remember reading a few posts (like the one you linked to) last fall, which is when we bought our boat (and the UP didn't work then either) but have been so busy, I haven't been able to address the other major issues we are having.... and saw this post and thought I'd toss out the question vs doing a search.

Thanks again to all for the helpful replies that help everyone on here out !!!

2013 F150 Super Crew Lariat EcoBoost White Platinum Tri-Coat

2005 260 SSI 496 Mag/B3, Arch and killer stereo !!!
1999 233 Sunesta LE / 5.7 EFI & Bravo 3 ( SOLD, but we have great memories from it !!)

2014 Arctic Cat ZR6000-SP RR
2010 Arctic Cat 500 SnoPro/D&D 720

2007 Arctic Cat F6LXR (wife's)
Scuba year 'round

#16 SST

SST
  • Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:30 PM

All I can say is that what it does now is different from what it was doing before. When the outdrive came off to repair the leak/bellows it either was corrected by the mechanic or it just fixed itself. So, I assume what it is doing now, is the correct way and before was not.

That's why reading and participating on this forum is a good thing to do. Thanks.

1987-235XLC

23Algosea7-2-2012-ds.jpg

#17 gl115

gl115
  • Members
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:15 AM

All I can say is that what it does now is different from what it was doing before. When the outdrive came off to repair the leak/bellows it either was corrected by the mechanic or it just fixed itself. So, I assume what it is doing now, is the correct way and before was not.

That's why reading and participating on this forum is a good thing to do. Thanks.

the trim guage on most boats is just a guide, at 1/2 way up means you should have hit the stops on the sender, the outdrive looking at it might only move 4-6 inches or so,depending on the amount of deadrise that your hull has,( 16-21 degree usually)think most chaps are 21 deg. but not sure, this helps to make it idiot proof so people don't over trim and have prop cavitation etc.,also gives people a bad feeling in shallow water when they hit somthng thinking the drive was half way up.

best thing to do is look at it while on the trailer and have an assistant moves the trim up and down.

Anyone can benefit from a safe boating course.

#18 christon

christon
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:00 AM

Seeing you have twin drives, and neither will go up, but both will go down, I think the odds of 2 up solenoids puking at the same time are low. Strongly urge you to take a look at the 3-pin prong going to the trim pump and solenoids. Sounds like a classic scenario whereby the green pin (down) is touching, but the blue (up) pin isn't. Often the gear clamp holding the 3-pin connector is too tight or too loose.

Merc changed the design to a 4 pin Packard style in 2005 or so, and nary a problem since the re-design.

http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/mercruiser/serial/R-MR-ALPHA_ONE_Transom_Assembly_1983-1990/+99964/2203-190

#19 christon

christon
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:04 AM

http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/mercruiser/serial/R-MR-ALPHA_ONE_Transom_Assembly_1983-1990/+99964/2203-190

Shepherd, I tried all the wires and wiggled the plugs- nothing. Every thing seems fine , but no movement up at all. Anything else you can think off. Thanks.

#20 TXTWIN

TXTWIN
  • Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:42 PM

bumping this up so its not missed. Seems Shep has a fan club!
Kris
"optional necessity"
'05 330 Signature
Twin 320hp 5.7 OSI w/DPS-A (Yep, the XDPs are gone!)
Lake Belton, TX
Posted Image