South Carolina Lakes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gibby

Gibby
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:56 PM

Looking to get first hand info on Lake Hartwell, or Lake Keowee. Would like to consider moving in the next few years. Like the Clemson area on Hartwell, seems like would have more to do. But fishing on Keowee looks like it would be better. Any and all info would be appreciated.
2004 Sunesta 254 Merc Max 350/300 MPI Brovo III D/P "Seas The Moment"
2010 F150 Platimum Candy Apple Red
2005 Tracker Pro Team 185, 115 Merc Jet Drive "Red Neck Yat"
Chill'en at the lake, with friends and my bud, can't get any better...:)
"If you wake up on the right side of the grass, it's going to be a Good Day, Enjoy It"

#2 sc gamecock

sc gamecock
  • Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:52 PM

Gibby, Welcome

I boat on Keowee and Jocassee myself. I do not boat much on Hartwell mainly because we live closer to Keowee and Jocassee but really consider them far better lakes. They are clear and have much more to offer IMO. Hartwell is huge though, lots of places to hide. Member DAVCS boats on Hartwell exclusively I believe. He may chime in more on Hartwell.

There is good fishing on all three and they all offer different types of fishing. Hartwell may have eating limits on their fish still due to mercury content although I am not certain on that. Jocassee is unique as it is a very deep lake and lake trout are the main catch requiring downriggers.

I am originally from the Lake Murray area in the middle of the state and that is where I have most of my SC lake knowledge.

Let us know if you venture on down!

Matt
Posted Image

2011 246 SSI 5.7 VP DP
Lake Murray SC

#3 Gibby

Gibby
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:14 AM

Thanks Matt... We've been looking at property on Hartwell but, it looks like water front is not water front but mud front. Seems the drought hit hard on Keowee as well. Looked on the state DNR site and the pictures look grim. When do they expect the lakes to return? If you read the realtor's sites there's no problem, (can't have bad press and sell lake front) but looking at the DNR site showers a different story. I can't believe Army Corp will keep them dry much longer, seems like homeowners are getting organized pushing political buttons to raise the lower limits of released water. Any pictures you have of the current lake levels would put the admerial at rest. Thanks again.
2004 Sunesta 254 Merc Max 350/300 MPI Brovo III D/P "Seas The Moment"
2010 F150 Platimum Candy Apple Red
2005 Tracker Pro Team 185, 115 Merc Jet Drive "Red Neck Yat"
Chill'en at the lake, with friends and my bud, can't get any better...:)
"If you wake up on the right side of the grass, it's going to be a Good Day, Enjoy It"

#4 Phil @ LKN

Phil @ LKN

Admiral of LKN - Self Appointed

• Members
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:26 AM

Hey Gibby,

Any thoughts of NC?? Lake Norman is nice and from what I understand, has great fishing too.

Phil at Lake Norman
2005 Signature 310 SOLD
Volvo 5.7 OSI-XDP
Paradise

ParadiseOnTheMove52-cr-1.jpg ParadiseOnTheMove05-crLarge-1.jpg

#5 sc gamecock

sc gamecock
  • Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:20 PM

Well the drought has hit hard again here in SC. Hartwell can suffer pretty good since there is a lot other lakes feeding on it downstream and ATL. An advantage to Keowee is that there is a nuke plant which they will keep the lake up for and allow Jocassee to suffer. Jocassee feeds Keowee and is near 25ft down right now. I do not have any pics right now as I havent been up to the lake in a while. From what I understand there are some real estate
deals out there right now. Good Luck.

Matt
Posted Image

2011 246 SSI 5.7 VP DP
Lake Murray SC

#6 davcs

davcs
  • Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hi, I'm just thinking about boats again now that its spring, and just saw your post. Hartwell was coming back up a bit, but now not so much. Local meteorolgist just said drought in the area is increasing, so may not have good water this year. But there will still be places to boat, it's a big lake, just have to be careful where you go.

When the water is low, you can tell if a lake lot has good water (or not!), so this is not a bad time to shop for lakefront property. And the lake will be full again - just need more rain.
Posted Image
2004 SSi 220 / Volvo-Penta 5.0GXi / SX
Tow: 94 F-150 5.0
Lake Hartwell GA/SC

#7 ericlemson

ericlemson
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

Gibby,

I'll chime in since i've been on both as well. From a real estate standpoint, you will find that Hartwell has some great deals, but as you've seen, the drought has hit Harwell pretty hard. If I were to buy something on Hartwell, I would be looking at something with extremely deep water. I would also ask neighbors about the lake levels and if it affected their area. I would also buy when we are at the peak of a drought again and you'll know for sure if that area has water. I've just seen so many boats sitting on mud for part of the year. On the other hand, Hartwell is huge.

As for Keowee, Matt pointed out the biggest benefit...It's owned by Duke Energy and has a Nuke plant on it. This means that the lake levels don't flucuate as bad as Hartwell or Jocassee. It's also a much more beautiful lake, clean water, etc. But, you pay more for land and homes on Keowee. There are not too many negatives on Keowee. Only thing I can think of is it can get a little busy on Holiday weekends and it's not nearly as large as Hartwell, so you can only explore so much.
Eric

Eric

2011 246 SSI 350 mag B3
"Takes the Edge Off"
Lake Keowee, SC

null_zps26aeba5a.jpg

#8 George290

George290
  • Members
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

we take the little boat to Keowee a couple of times a year and to Jocasee about onece every other year. both are great. keowee does maitnain level but remember jocasee is pump storage so its level will vary according to usage. hartwell has lots af areas. i still like Murray and from aprill to the end of August, we're on the boats nearly evry weekend. lots of nice days/weekends druing Fall and even in Winter. i have been on Norman sweveral times also, very nice lake.
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane. J Buffett
2005 Sig 290
5.0 Volvo DP
Pacifi-Her

#9 01STrunner

01STrunner
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

I know this is an old thread but I've been boating on Hartwell and Keowee for a little bit now. Currently the water on Hartwell is so high, most things are flooded at 4-5' over full pool. Considering it bottomed out at almost 15' below this winter that's a crazy change. Anyway, every time I've been on Keowee it seems pretty crowded even if it's the middle of the week or a bad weather day. Hartwell is just so big that it can handle a lot more traffic. I'm one of the people that loves to go explore and not just go to the same spot every weekend so Hartwell fit my boating style. Plus I currently live in Clemson so it is extremely convenient for me.

On the other hand, like mentioned above, Hartwell is a little on the dirty side with all the red clay. There are clean areas but they don't compare to the cleanliness of Keowee.

2006 246 SSi  |  5.0L Mercruiser  |  Alpha One Sterndrive