prop propeller

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cdnpar

cdnpar
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a 2005 204 SSI 20' bowrider with 5 li. 220 hp Volvo Penta. The boat came with a 4 blade prop. Top end speed was very poor. I assume the previous owner installed the 4 blade for better hole shot. I want decent hole shot but also top end speed. I had Smart tabs on my last boat which were a huge help. I was thinking of installing Bennet M120 tabs. Anyone out there with a similar boat that could recommend a prop that would give me good top end speed. I think the trim tabs will get me out of the hole fast enough. Thanks Paul

#2 Brian S

Brian S
  • Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

What's " VERY POOR"? speedo or GPS verified? have you considered stainless? What do you do most (cruise around, tubing, sking)? Average number of people on boat? Current RPM's at WOT? What speed are you trying to achive? Extended Swim platform? what size is prop now 14X20p 4 blade?
2004 204 SSi w/ 5.0l EFI & Alpha 1 gen2
2013 F150 Super Crew. Eco Boost
image4.jpg

#3 cdnpar

cdnpar
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

I only took the boat out for a quick test drive at the dealership. I believe the prop was a 4 blade 14". The top speed with 4 on board and a full tank of fuel was around 35 mph on the speedo.Sorry I didn't check the rpm however my ear told me we were at max. rpm. It does have the extended swim platform. I purchased the boat and the dealership agreed to switch the prop. to a new 19". I had the boat shipped from California to Washington and when I unloaded it noticed that they put on a reconditioned 17" prop. They will send me a new 19" however my situation is I don't want to put the boat in the water yet to test props as it is now winterized and the temp. around here is still very cold. As I mentioned I do like the idea of trim tabs or smart tabs. The boat will be used for a little of everything cruising, sking and tubing. I would think the top end speed for this boat should be around the mid 40s.

#4 superpop

superpop
  • Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

I have the same boat but mine is a 2006 with the GXi 270 HP motor, they are great boats but I would definitely get the extended swim platform. I put smart tabs on mine with 60lb actuators and they made a huge difference in planing times. I would not waste my money on remote controlled tabs as I suspect they are overkill for our size boat. I run a 4 blade 18P stainless prop on mine and I get up on plane very fast, but i am not concerned about top speed, with the prop I have, I peak at around 45MPH at 4600RPM's. I also have the factory aluminum 3 blade 19P prop that came with the boat and it is a little slower to come on plane with that prop but I can get just past 50MPH with that prop. Gotta remember that this boat is very stern heavy and is a heavy boat overall. If you plan on keeping the boat for a while you may want to look into upgrading to MPI, might find a deal on ebay, that is about the only way to boost performance on that boat, or you could drop in a 350 short block, everything would transfer over. Other than that, you will have to settle for fast planing times or a fast boat, with the power you have I doubt you will find a prop that will give you both.
Superpop
2006 Chaparral 204 SSi
270HP VP 5.0L GSXi
SX Drive System
Samson Tower

There is no replacement for displacement

#5 cdnpar

cdnpar
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

Thank that's very helpful. I don't think the wife would be happy if I start swapping engine blocks. It was a trick convincing her we needed a new boat. I really did want a MPI motor but this boat was a good deal with the only draw back being it has a carb. motor. I had Smart tabs on my last 20' boat and they were a huge help out of the hole and slow cruising speeds. Is it a big job switching to MPI.? Did you ever have the 19P prop on with the smart tabs?

#6 krmartonik

krmartonik
  • Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

19 pitch and tabs should do what you want.If you need a little better hole shot try the 17, top speed will probably still be okay. My old boat had 17,19 and 21P props. I played around with all of them for different activities then got smart tabs and left the 19 on 100% of the time. :boating:

pi340C.jpg

Kris
2008 215 Ssi/ Volvo 5.0 GXI, SX
Puget Sound, Lake Washington, Lake Tapps

2014 GMC 1500 SLT All Terrain

#7 cdnpar

cdnpar
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

Thanks Kris , that was my feeling as well. The tabs should get the boat out of the hole and a 19" prop should still have decent top end speed. Now we just need some warm weather.

#8 OUR PLEASURE

OUR PLEASURE
  • Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

ONCE YOU GET YOU BOAT TUNED UP YOU'LL HAVE TO THINK ABOUT ATTENDING THE CHAP RENDEZVOUS AT ROCHE HARBOUR TO SHOW IT OFF
2005 350 Sig. "OUR PLEASURE"
5.7 volvo, ocean-x
NEWCASTLE ISLAND
Posted Image

#9 cdnpar

cdnpar
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for the invite. My boat is just a little lake number. It probably won't be going anywhere other than Lake Whatcom.
I'm sure Roche Harbour must be a beautiful spot. We get over to the Island from time to time.
Not boating though! We have rental properties in Nanaimo and Comox.
Enjoy the Rendezvous

#10 krmartonik

krmartonik
  • Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for the invite. My boat is just a little lake number. It probably won't be going anywhere other than Lake Whatcom.
I'm sure Roche Harbour must be a beautiful spot. We get over to the Island from time to time.
Not boating though! We have rental properties in Nanaimo and Comox.
Enjoy the Rendezvous

Then, just bring the boat on the ferry. Problem solved! :boating: Not sure if we are going yet, depends on finances, construction sucks right now.

pi340C.jpg

Kris
2008 215 Ssi/ Volvo 5.0 GXI, SX
Puget Sound, Lake Washington, Lake Tapps

2014 GMC 1500 SLT All Terrain

#11 JoeHurdler

JoeHurdler
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

I am in search of a good 4-blade stainless steel prop to assist in getting on plane faster  and lower planing speed while pulling a wakeboarder.  I am willing to sacrifice top end speed to gain faster planing.  I have a 2004, 204 ssi with a 5.0 GXI-E with 270 HP. 

Any suggestions?  Saw that some of you have similar or identical boat specs as me, wanted to see if you folks had any suggestion. 

Thanks, Joe

2004 204 ssi

#12 canuck1

canuck1
  • Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

I am in search of a good 4-blade stainless steel prop to assist in getting on plane faster  and lower planing speed while pulling a wakeboarder.  I am willing to sacrifice top end speed to gain faster planing.  I have a 2004, 204 ssi with a 5.0 GXI-E with 270 HP. 

Any suggestions?  Saw that some of you have similar or identical boat specs as me, wanted to see if you folks had any suggestion. 

Thanks, Joe

2004 204 ssi

I have a 2008 190 SSi with the 270hp version 5.0l Volvo (MPI) package.

My drive ratio is most likely different so I can't give you specific pitch recommendations but I can tell you going to a Mercury 'High-Five' SS prop (using their hub adapter kit) was an amazing change over the factory 4-blade aluminum type.

To the original poster;

.  Make sure you have real data on rpm and speed before spending money on a prop.  I discovered the original owner of my boat had swapped to a higher ratio drive for high elevation operation.  At my lake (with the original prop) that meant I could easily bounce it off the rev-limiter and still only produce 45 mph TOPS!  Props can be expensive and you need the baseline information on how your boat performs right now as well as what's on it before changing anything.

Sean

2008 190 SSi
270hp 5.0l Volvo GXi, SX

High Five prop
Monster wakeboard tower

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: prop, propeller