My New Boat and my 2010 215

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 covedog

covedog
  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

After last summer, the Admiral said we need a bigger boat! So, after much looking this winter and a few seatrials, I found and loved a super clean, low hour, 1999 Searay 290 twin which will be in my hands in mid-April. Compared to Chaps, she is more like a 310 with beam of 10' - 7", loa of about 31' and displacing 10500 dry.
Sadly, the dealer is taking the 215 for consignment sale next week. I will miss her, but am definitely looking forward to more comfortable cruising capabilities.
Covedog
2010 215 ssi with Volvo 4.3L GXi MPI SX
2001 Porsche Boxster S - doesn't pull boats but sure makes you smile when you can't be boating!

#2 Toddler

Toddler
  • Members
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

Its 2 foot itus not 8..... :slap:

Congrats on the new ride........ :clapsmiley:

Matt

2006 256ssi, 496 BIII, Blue

6 Saturdays & a Sunday
9c582862-dab3-4312-8ca5-c7591a480183_zps[/URL]

#3 Hatchman

Hatchman
  • Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

Congrats on the new ride! I know how it is, we went 8' from 18 to 26 as well.
2005 Signature 260
Volvo 5.7L Gi-E w/1.95 DP-SM

#4 Whalersailor

Whalersailor
  • Members
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

Sounds perfectly normal to me. I also went from 18 to 26-1/2.
Clayton

West Chester, Pennsylvania
Avalon, New Jersey
Northeast, Maryland

2005 Black 256 SSi. 350 MAG, MPI, Bravo-3.
2011 Venture I-Beam bunk, dual axle/surge disc
Tow Veh. 2010 F-150 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab

The ebb and flow of the Atlantic tides
the drift of the continents and
the very position of the sun along its ecliptic.
These are just a few of the things I control in my world.

Go Navy!

#5 covedog

covedog
  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for all the kind kudos! Even though I've gone the Searay route, I still plan to keep participating in the Chap Owner's forum. You guys and gals are way more fun than the Searay Club!
Covedog
2001 Porsche Boxster S - doesn't pull boats but sure makes you smile when you can't be boating!

#6 krmartonik

krmartonik
  • Members
  • 820 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

:beer-7687-1: Hope it works out for you. That's a nice boat. :boating:

I think you should keep both, put the 215 on a trailer :drink-buddy:

75154785.jpg
dsc01311h.jpg
Kris
2008 215 Ssi/ Volvo 5.0 GXI, SX
Puget Sound, Lake Washington, Lake Tapps

#7 BoatGuy9

BoatGuy9
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

Congrats Rollie on the Sea Ray, I'll get your Chap. 215 sold as soon as I can! Ted

#8 DAVECS1

DAVECS1
  • Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

Man I am quickly becoming the lone 215 owner. That is a nice step up. I have wrestled going bigger, as we boat on the river and it would be nice. My biggest concern is the big family vacation happens in Northern MN on a secluded fishing lake that is about 2500 acres and my boat is already nicknamed the Queen Mary up there. If I go bigger I will start running out of options for docking it as the fishing docks already strain to keep my boat shored. I have looked at a 235 and like them but is it worth the investment to step up that small. Especially as I have this boat just the way the family likes it. I would like to do more overnighters and I think the wife would to if she felt the comfort of a bigger cuddy.

At any rate keep us posted how the new ride treats ya maybe it will help me step up. My dream boat right now would be a 265SSi. That seems like it would be perfect on the river and lake MI.
2003 SS215 5.0 MPFI Alpha One Mercury 13 7/8" dia 23p
Posted Image

#9 covedog

covedog
  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

After first summer with my 99 searay 290, here's an update on how I like the boat and how different it is from my 215.
First of all, I just got the word this week that my 215 is nearly sold and deal should close this week. I had worked with the local dealer on consignment and they got no results all summer, so I switched to a Searay dealer I met up in Bellingham a couple weeks ago and they really marketed the boat very well and got fast results. The local chap dealer has some work to do to more effectively sell consignment boats.
So, it looks like my 215's next life will be a lake union runabout for a nice couple. For all you 215 owners, the Searay sales guy who conducted the seatrial told me that the 215's quality, handling and performance was outstanding and the boat literally sold itself.
OK, I love the new cruiser. I do miss how easy and quick it was to get the 215 out on the water, the good looks and fuel efficiency, and the ease of starting a fuel injected engine, but the larger boat is better in every way we use the boat.
First, and most important, the Admiral loves the layout and the seaworthiness of the boat, as well as the vacuflush. It handles heavier seas much better. Overnighting with 2 couples is very comfortable. I love having 2 engines. The spacious and well laid out cockpit makes a great happy hour venue at our float without leaving the dock. We leave the strataglass (much better than eisenglass) and canvas forward of the radar arch in place all the time and use the windshield vent for warm day cooling. I love the port and starboard gangways for accessing the bow - no messing with canvas to walk thru a windshield. An aft mooring cover quickly encloses the cockpit and combined with engine heat, makes for comfortable cold weather cruising, and keeps the rain out at the dock. I love having propane cooktop for cooking - since we're on batteries when on anchor (ahhh, it's nice to have a windlass). Also, my mechanic rigged a cool system for freshwater flushing the raw water system (engines are closed cooling) while the boat is at the dock in the water. She will also quietly cruise on plane (with full tabs) as low as 3200 rpm at 17 ktsph burning about 16 gph which is nice for social outings. I do need to conduct some speed trials to find best overall mpg efficiency which I suspect is probably more like 30 kts. So, bigger is better!
Covedog

#10 tony98

tony98
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:10 AM

it's really awesome! happy to see..........