Photo

Places to stop/eat on the James River (Richmond, VA)?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Neal C.

Neal C.
  • Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

The James river is the closest to me so will be the most visited for a quick jaunt with the boat. For a little "cruise" down the James, anyone know of any nice places to stop, anchor, eat, visit?

How about the next river over? The rappahanock? (however it's spelled?)
Neal C.
2007 210 ssi (Black)
Engine: 2010 Merc 5.0L MPI 260HP Alpha One (1.62)
Prop: Merc Revolution 4 SS 19p
Tow: 2009 Honda Pilot Touring Edition

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 comacozy7601

comacozy7601
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Was just out about 8 miles past Jordan Point yesterday, drifted out of the channel for a nice lunch on the water. Jordan Point Marina has a restaurant, snack bar, etc right on the water and plenty of space to tie up. We have also treked from Dutch Gap landing to Jamestown which is a great boat ride and there is plenty of space down there as well. Various marina's as you get closer to the Williamsburg area but we have never needed anything so I am not sure of the restaurant availability. Just installed a Garmin 541S in my 216 and I will be able to "explore" a ton more as now I am comfortable navigating places further out of the channel. A lot of people tie up at the gravel pit (sometimes called the sand pit) and hang all day but I bought a boat to cruise for a while then hang out, and the 5 minute ride to the gravel pit just isn't far enough.

#3 Neal C.

Neal C.
  • Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll have to find that place, it's not the first I've heard of it. I went up to Lake Anna yesterday, had a great time. Second time there, they have two restaurants you can dock at and go in and eat - was fun!
Neal C.
2007 210 ssi (Black)
Engine: 2010 Merc 5.0L MPI 260HP Alpha One (1.62)
Prop: Merc Revolution 4 SS 19p
Tow: 2009 Honda Pilot Touring Edition

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Big Fun

Big Fun
  • Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

On the the James River is a full-service marina at Kingsmill resort..The marina features 15 transient boat slips, concrete floating docks, water and power connections, dockside fuel service and a harbor shop. Docked boats have access to the resort facilities and the Kingsmill Resort restaurants.

CHAPARRAL 290 SIGNATURE 2006
Volvo Engines 4.3 GXI
DP

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes. Emerson

We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.
― Winston Churchill

"The only source of knowledge is experience." - Albert Einstein

#5 comacozy7601

comacozy7601
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

Been a long time since I was on Lake Anna, I live about an hour away from Anna and 1.5 from Buggs Island so I prefer the size of Buggs, especially since during normal weekends very few boats are down there. Best of luck, let me know what you find in your travels. If you are ever down down Buggs Island let me know, can show you quite a few awesome areas to spend days on the water.

#6 Hatchman

Hatchman
  • Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

More than a little cruise, Smithfield Station is about 80-90 miles from Richmond, but a good place to eat, shop, sleep overnight, and go into Smithfield and check out the town. They have no gas, though others do close by, and are not pet friendly.

Nice spot though, they do a powerboat rally there every year that is a big event.
2005 Signature 260
Volvo 5.7L Gi-E w/1.95 DP-SM