Photo

Air/Heat Compressor is running but no overboard discharge???

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Jimt

Jimt
  • Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

The unit sounds to be running normally meaning fan, compressor and raw water pump all come on as they have for the past several weeks, but as of two days ago, I noticed that no water at all is being discharged from the overboard thru-hull. I removed and checked the sea strainer next to the raw water pump and it was totally clear. The sea pump is trying to pump, but you can see through the plastic housing for the sea strainer, that water is not moving.The Dometic manual says that I could either have a physical clog or air is trapped inside somewhere. Because the sea strainer was clear, I think it's an air problem. If so, how do I clear out an air bubble? I love how manuals tell you what the problems might be, but then don't tell you how to fix the problems!

Any ideas?

IMG_0531_zps77707fa6.jpg 
Jim
2011 SeaRay 470 Sundancer (Chap Alumni)
Longport, NJ

#2 Richard W

Richard W

Always Learning

• Members
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Closed seacock?

Best ... Richard

Have boat called "anytime", 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature, with
VP 8.1Gi-H 375hp and 1.78 DPS-A with F4 duoprop, cruising

Saint Lawrence River and Lake Ontario in USA and Canada

#3 jim & michelle

jim & michelle
  • Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

Try undoing the water lines near the compressor and blowing them out. we had the same problem last year cleaned the lines out and its been working just fine.
2006 Signature 350
Lake Texoma, OK

"Yachta-Yachta"
Tuttle,OK.

Posted Image

#4 Hank

Hank

Exit 4 of the NJ Turnpike

• Members
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

Jim: Perhaps the recent "grounding" clogged the intake to the sea strainer and compressor. Had a similar issue at our old marina when my boat was sitting in sand and slit (make that silt :slap: )
Posted Image
"Open Wide II"
'99 Signature 290
Volvo 5.0 GL/SX
Longport, NJ

#5 TXTWIN

TXTWIN
  • Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

I recently had a similar issue and the impeller had seized to the pump body because it ran dry. The pump ran, made all the noises you expected, just wouldn't physically pump water. Had it happen 2x (the 2nd time was due to the "service an" incorrectly installing the spindle), and did a pump rebuild. Been working find since. If you ran it aground, while the AC was running, this could be the issue.
Kris
"optional necessity"
'05 330 Signature
Twin 320hp 5.7 OSI w/DPS-A (Yep, the XDPs are gone!)
Lake Belton, TX
Posted Image

#6 OUR PLEASURE

OUR PLEASURE
  • Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

SOME PUMPS NEED TO BE PRIMED ONCE THEY SUCK AIR. TRY FILLING THE SYSTEM WITH WATER THEN STARTING IT UP
2005 350 Sig. "OUR PLEASURE"
5.7 volvo, ocean-x
NEWCASTLE ISLAND
Posted Image

#7 John

John

Hudson River Runner

• Members
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

Try putting a hose at the thru hull and forcing water through the system that way.
John & Barbara
2005 Signature 290 "Brown Eyed Girl"
Posted Image
"Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine

#8 Jimt

Jimt
  • Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Thanks all. I fixed it today by jamming a garden hose into the raw water hose coming from the sea strainer then yelling to the Admiral to turn the heater on and BAM! I got a steady flow from the thru hull discharge. I hooked everything back up and tested a few more times and I'm good to go.

Appreciate all the good advice.

IMG_0531_zps77707fa6.jpg 
Jim
Longport, NJ

#9 mpm330

mpm330

Retired Admiral of the United Texas Fleet

• Members
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

I have not had a problem with this boat, but on the last two cruisers if they had been out of the water always had to prime the AC pump.

Delivery_day_11.jpg

Mike
2009 Sig 330
Lady Christina
twin 350 mags / BIII with DTS
Lake Lewisville, The United Texas

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. ."
Thomas Jefferson

#10 jim & michelle

jim & michelle
  • Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

glad you got it fixed.
2006 Signature 350
Lake Texoma, OK

"Yachta-Yachta"
Tuttle,OK.

Posted Image

#11 Phil @ LKN

Phil @ LKN

Admiral of LKN - Self Appointed

• Members
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

It must really $%&# you off having to do a repair on a new boat!!! I know I'd be pissed.

Phil at Lake Norman
2005 Signature 310 SOLD
Volvo 5.7 OSI-XDP
Paradise

ParadiseOnTheMove52-cr-1.jpg ParadiseOnTheMove05-crLarge-1.jpg

#12 mpm330

mpm330

• Members
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

It must really $%&# you off having to do a repair on a new boat!!! I know I'd be pissed.

Posted Image

Delivery_day_11.jpg

Mike
2009 Sig 330
Lady Christina

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. ."
Thomas Jefferson

#13 Jimt

Jimt
  • Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

Mike, I don't mind. Of all the things that could have gone wrong, this was a minor issue and one that has nothing to do with the age of the boat. I'm glad I now know what to do, if and when it happens again!

IMG_0531_zps77707fa6.jpg 
Jim
Longport, NJ

#14 mpm330

mpm330

• Members
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

On the last two cruisers always had to prime the AC water pump after the boats had been out of the water. Never thought much about it. On the 330 it has not been an issue. I think it is because it sits deeper in the water.

Delivery_day_11.jpg

Mike
2009 Sig 330
Lady Christina

Thomas Jefferson

#15 TXTWIN

TXTWIN
  • Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

Did Chap design the thru hull discharge on the new Sigs to come out under the platform, or do they still come out on the sides of the boat? Only thing that drives me crazy, since I can't get the rust marks off without getting in the water and scrubbing them with a not so mild cleaner. The Meridians and Regals all dump their thru hull discharge under their integrated swim platforms. Just seems to make more sense to me.
Kris
"optional necessity"
'05 330 Signature
Lake Belton, TX
Posted Image

#16 mpm330

mpm330

• Members
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

Nope still out the port side by were the unit is and it gets the stain down the side. When they wax the boat they use an acid to remove the stain before waxing. Washing with soap doesn't even touch it. I have wondered if power wash would remove.

Delivery_day_11.jpg

Mike
2009 Sig 330
Lady Christina

Thomas Jefferson

#17 TXTWIN

TXTWIN
  • Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:16 AM

power wash doesn't do it. Last guy used muriatic acid. Maybe toilet bowl cleaner would do the job?

CLR sometimes will help. The acid though seems to do the best job.
Kris
"optional necessity"
'05 330 Signature
Lake Belton, TX
Posted Image

#18 mpm330

mpm330

• Members
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

When I asked about how they got it off the reply was with acid, only thing that takes it off. I believe him since he has seen a lot of boats over the years. Since I don't plan on using acid while I am in the water scrubing the sides of my boat, I guess it will get done at wax time. (Dropped the work order off for that on Tueday, always brings a smile to his face)

Delivery_day_11.jpg

Mike
2009 Sig 330
Lady Christina

Thomas Jefferson

#19 TXTWIN

TXTWIN
  • Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

I bet it does. I do it myself to avoid bringing that pleasure to others. LOL Make sure he keeps it away from your chrome finishes. It will take that right off!

I am going to try the toilet bowl cleaner being discussed in other discussions. Will let you know how it works. I now have lines on both sides. One from the AC and one from the sump discharge where the AC condensation gathers. It just looks terrible. I may try the acid and a scrub brush as an option while it is in the water.
Kris
"optional necessity"
'05 330 Signature
Lake Belton, TX
Posted Image

#20 mpm330

mpm330

• Members
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

Be carefull of the bottom paint.

Delivery_day_11.jpg

Mike
2009 Sig 330
Lady Christina

Thomas Jefferson