Trailering a Sunesta 284

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SeaPossum

SeaPossum
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

I am toying with the idea of moving to the Sunesta 284. We love everything about the boat, but I have some concern with trailering the unit. Part of boating for my family is the adventure of new places and the ease of trailering is important.

Would those who trailer a 284 let me know how your experience has been? Has anyone else made a similar move and was the additional width noticeable? Do you have a double or triple axle trailer? Power unit is not a concern.

Have you enjoyed your 284 on the water?

Thanks, SP
2006 256 SSi
Mercruiser 350 Mag Bravo 3
Amelia Island, FL

Posted Image

#2 TXTWIN

TXTWIN
  • Members
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

Can't tell you the specifics on the 284, but can give my opinion on trailering a large boat, as we trailer our 330 occasionally.

First, yes on the triple axle trailer, and get brakes on all three axles if you can. Also, would do electric over hydraulic. The extra size isn't too bad in terms of width, its the weight and stopping it that makes it an adventure. I honestly think the longer trailer is easier to manuever.

You're going to want at least a 3/4 ton, preferrably a diesel to haul this IMO. Although, I think some of the newer 1/2 tons have the ability to tow that boat.

Finally, you'll want to check the laws in your states about towing a boat that size. It may classify as over width, which may require a permit to trailer.

Have fun, and enjoy the new boat!
Kris
"optional necessity"
'05 330 Signature
Twin 320hp 5.7 OSI w/DPS-A (Yep, the XDPs are gone!)
Lake Belton, TX
Posted Image

#3 mrfixit

mrfixit
  • Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

We have a 276 which is comparable to the 284. I only trailer about 4 times a year but my F150 gets the job done. My trailer is a triple axle aluminum from Ace trailers in Fla. When launching at the beginning of the season or retrieving at the end, I only go about 3 miles but it's up and over a bridge. When I get it winterized my dealer is about 25-30 miles away. For this type of towing the 150 is fine. If I was towing longer distances i'd probably jump up to a F250. I also have a weight distributing hitch which helps the truck achieve it's 11300lb tow capacity. I also drive cautiously and allow plenty of room for stopping.
Posted Image

newarch055-1.jpg
08 276 ssx
"Time of Our Life"
8.1 volvo
2010 F150 Tow vehicle

#4 dsmacey

dsmacey
  • Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

A new 1/2 ton (for example, Ford F-150) will be able to tow it, especially with the F-150's Max Tow package (which includes a beefier transmission cooler, integrated brake controller, etc). But it is right ar the limit. Definitely agree with others, get electronic brakes as it is a world of difference. And a weight distributing hitch, which I almost never see anyone using. Also makes a big difference.

Best bet since you will probbly be right around 10,000 pounds is a 3/4 ton truck. Triple of double axle trailer is a toss up, its really about the trailer and tire ratings and making sure you have room to spare in them.

Cannot speak for the 284 directly, but my 264 has been a real pleasure to own and use. Love the layout, the aft facing seat (my favorite feature).
David

264 Xtreme

Posted Image

#5 brick

brick
  • Members
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

That's a big @ss boat. You need a big @ss truck to pull and stop it! What do you tow your 256 with?
brick
brick
cute wife
2005 220SSi
350 MAG MPI/B3 2.0/24's
New Dimension tower
C6 Corvette (when not boating)

#6 Carolina Girls

Carolina Girls
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

I am not up on the 284 Sunesta, but I do trailer a 2005 285 SSI with twin 5.7's and B3's. It came with a twin axle aluminum trailer with surge brakes on only one axle. The dual axle is probably a little easier manuvering in tight areas, but it also requires a higher load range tire (more expensive). I am also in the process of adding brakes to the other axle and will be going electric over hydraulic. It is not that difficult to pull (we are about 40 miles from the nearest lake) and I have pulled it as much as 250 miles. You just take your time and allow more room for breaking. I pull it with a 2010 Tundra CrewMax and it does fine.
Carl
2005 285-SSI
Twin 350 mags
Lake Hickory, NC

#7 MonkeySeaII

MonkeySeaII

Monkey Sea 2

• Members
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

the 284 is over 8'6 wide. Most states have a limit of 8'6. You would want a 3/4 ton truck to tow it.
Lake Wallenpaupack PA
'07 256 SSi
(496 Mag, B3, Corsa Exhaust, K&N Arrestor, Bennett Trim Tabs)
'08 Silverado 2500HD (Duramax Diesel, 6" Fabtech Lift, Edge Evolution Tuner)

#8 SeaPossum

SeaPossum
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for the input! Did not think about the state / DOT regulations and I will have to look into that issue. I tow with a 2500HD diesel, but if I pull the trigger I will look into the weight distribution hitch. I am not using one for the 256. The triple axle also looks like the way to go.
2006 256 SSi
Amelia Island, FL

Posted Image

#9 brick

brick
  • Members
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

Get the new boat and trailer weighed. You may not need a weight distributing hitch, as boat trailers tend to be much lighter in tongue weight. I think your HD will have enough capacity.
brick
brick
cute wife
2005 220SSi
350 MAG MPI/B3 2.0/24's
New Dimension tower
C6 Corvette (when not boating)

#10 SeaPossum

SeaPossum
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:14 PM

Brick, Thanks for that note. I really do not know much about those hitches, but I will do some research.

You have got to love this forum and the information shared. I think that there are a number of conversations going on right now on proper brakes, power units and all out safety. There are alot of boaters that need this information. How many times have you been at a ramp or a marina...looked at a situation and thought "that is not a good idea".

Thanks, SP
2006 256 SSi
Amelia Island, FL

Posted Image

#11 RandyAZ1

RandyAZ1
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

I have a 2007 274 Sunesta ( 28.7 feet long, same as your length ) I pull it with a F450 and I can feel it!! Braking is very important to me when towing because of all the none thinking drivers around you!! I have hydraulics only but the 450 is a beast and can stop me very qucikly if needed. I have a dual axel trailer and the tires are costly but easy to manuever as compared to my 3 axel 5th wheel.

The 274 on the water is amazing. You will enjoy having room for all your family and friends ( It can seat 12 people with room to spare legally! ) and tow toys/people while still being able to come up on plane and do 50 knots with no problems.

Getting her back on the trailer is a chore in windy conditions so adding guides ( get heavy duty ones !!!! ) on your trailer is a must if you want to avoid having a video of your ramp follies making it to youtube.

Enjoy and be safe.

Randy
2007 Sunesta 274
8.1 Merc BIII
Quick & Quiet
2008 F450 Tow

#12 taperk600

taperk600
  • Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:07 PM

I know when we started looking around for our boat, we also found out about the wide-load issue....luckily before we bought the one boat we were looking at. I also know and see a lot of people who just say "screw it" and tow 9+ ft beam boats anyway.

We also really like the 287 Sunesta and that will be one in the running when we start to look to move up. But dsmacey, that 264 xtreme is tops on my list for our next boat. I love that blue.................just hope to find one like that in a yr or two.....

2013 F150 Super Crew Lariat EcoBoost White Platinum Tri-Coat

2005 260 SSI 496 Mag/B3, Arch and killer stereo !!!
1999 233 Sunesta LE / 5.7 EFI & Bravo 3 ( FOR SALE SOON !!)

2014 Arctic Cat ZR6000-SP RR
2010 Arctic Cat 500 SnoPro/D&D 720

2007 Arctic Cat F6LXR (wife's)
Scuba year 'round

#13 JDubs1

JDubs1
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:03 PM

Love the 284. It does everything. Plenty of room and turns heads. The Bimini is great for my fair skin and there's enough of the boat uncovered by it for my wife who loves to be in the sun. The bow width is a great feature. We went with the seat instead of the kitchenette and it was a good decision. Getting a bunch of people aboard is one thing; all of the towels, coolers, tote bags etc quite another. The 284 has room for all of it and you can still get around on it. Speakers are plenty loud too.
"Double Arch"
Black 2013 327SSX