Alarm went off while running

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 dowstrategy

dowstrategy
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

Returning to marina after day on Texoma. Running at 4000 rpms going south. large cruiser going north passed and we went thru his rather large wake. Got a good bump and alarm went off beeping rapidly. message said oil pressure/engine power limited. shut down immediatlly. checked engine no visible oil leaks in compartment or in the water. . Restarted normally and moved revs up gradually, no overheating at any point. Somewhere around 3500 RPM's alarm went off again same message beeping rapidly. Shut down, checked again and no problems apparent. Restarted and moved revs again up gradually with no problem until I got to my slip. As I was backing into slip at very low RPMs alarm went off again same message beeping rapidly. Shut down and tied boat up. Dealer coming up to look at boat today. Any ideas?

My thoughts are its possible I slightly overreved the boat when passing thru the wake. Thus the alarm. Does it require a reset? The engine did not run rough, or overheat and oil levels all seem normal.

Engine is Merc 350 2008
2008 Signature 250
Mercruiser 350 MPI 300hp Bravo III
Westerbeke Gas Gen
AC/Heating
Raymarine C70 GPS/Radar
Slipped at Highport Marina, Lake Texoma, Texas

#2 Richard W

Richard W

Always Learning

• Members
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

Running at 4000 rpms going south. large cruiser going north passed and we went thru his rather large wake. Got a good bump and alarm went off beeping rapidly ...

I know what you mean ... I went at cruising speed over river tour boat wake ... things were flying in the cabin. My gut feeling is ... something got lose or disconnects intermittently since the sensors, connectors, and wiring got a good shake down. The dealer can read error codes to narrow the search.

Best ... Richard

Have boat called "anytime", 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature, with
VP 8.1Gi-H 375hp and 1.78 DPS-A with F4 duoprop, cruising

Saint Lawrence River and Lake Ontario in USA and Canada

#3 Wingnut

Wingnut

WINGNUT

• Members
  • 2,840 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

There are no alarm re-sets. As the condition that created the alarm is resolved, the system self clears. Engine temperature as indicated on your display is only part of the cooling system story. You have a raw water supply pressure sender at the power steering cooler, and an exhaust manifold temperature sender in each manifold that will not indicate on your temperature display. Lube reservoir, and engine oil pressure will generate an alarm and limit power, as will several other engine mounted senders. The thing that has me puzzled is your beeping alarm that limits power. Power limiting critical alarms are constant, and I’ve attached the list so you have a place to start looking. I’d have a Merc mechanic plug in his scan tool, or buy one yourself. The first time you need it, it pays for itself because it seems like when you take a boat to the dealer, that’s the day it runs just fine. If you go in with your Merc buddies, it won't cost very much and then you are all covered. My neighbor had so many problems with his Volvo, he bought me a Merc tool with adaptor cable for my PCM-555. The base unit also works on his 496. Let's just say it's been hooked on to his ride a lot more often than mine. List of alarm faults for a 2008 Merc attached…

W

Engine Guardian System ALARM SUMMARY
General Description
Engine Guardian is the focal point of the self-diagnostic strategy on these engines. It helps
protect the engine from possible damage that could result from several faulty conditions.
The system monitors the sensors incorporated on the engine and if a malfunction is
discovered, a fault description is stored in thePCMand available power is normally reduced.
By ensuring that engine output is at a low enough level, the engine is better protected from
thermally induced failures.
For example, if an open or short is found in any sensor, available power will be reduced to
90% of total, the AudioWarning System Alarmwill sound 2 beeps perminute (2 Bp/min) and
the Smartcraft gauges will display a warning lamp. In a seawater pump pressure low
condition, the maximum rpm will vary with the pressure and temperature of the engine and
could be limited to idle in extreme cases of overheating, a constant beep will sound and
Smartcraft gauges will display a warning lamp.
IMPORTANT: Engine Guardian cannot guarantee that engine damage will not occur
when adverse operating conditions are encountered. Engine Guardian is designed
to warn the operator of an adverse condition and to reduce power by limiting rpm in
an attempt to reduce possible engine damage. The boat operator is ultimately
responsible for proper engine operation.
SERVICE MANUAL NUMBER 36 GENERAL INFORMATION
90-864573 FEBRUARY 2002 Page 1A-25
Warning Chart
The engine warning system incorporates an audio alarm and, if installed, Smartcraft
Gauges System. When the key switch is turned to the ON position, the audio alarm will
momentarily activate to test thewarning system. The alarm should sound once if the system
is operable. This table is a guick guide, showingwhat warning output will accompany a fault.
Fault Smartcraft Gauges Audio Alarm Available Power Description
ECT CKT HI Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Open
ECT CKT LO Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Short
ECT Coolant Overheat Yes Constant 6 - 100 % Overheat condition
EST 1 Open 1 Yes 2 Bp/min 100% Coil harness wire open
EST 1 Short 1 Yes 2 Bp/min 100% Coil harness wire short
Fuel Injector 1-7-4-6 Open Yes 2 Bp/min 100% Fuel injector wire open
Fuel Injector 3-5-2-8 Open Yes 2 Bp/min 100% Fuel injector wire open
Guardian Strategy Yes Constant 0% - 100% Protection Strategy
IAC Output LO/HI 2 Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Open
Knock Sensor 1 Lo Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Open
Knock Sensor 1 Hi Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Short
Low Drive Lube Strategy Yes Constant 100% Low oil in sterndrive
Low Oil Pressure Strategy Yes Constant 0 - 100% Low oil pressure strategy

NOTE: If any 5v sensor becomes shorted to ground the engine will not start. If the engine is operating when the short occurs the engine may stop operating and will not start.

NOTE: 1 GM EFI ignition system failure open or shorted, driver will flag EST 1 fault.

NOTE: 2 TPS must see 5% throttle then back to 0% to flag IAC fault.

NOTE: 3 2-wire sensor open will read sensor Hi on scan tool.

NOTE: 4VDC PWR Low - if shorted or no voltage engine will not start; if VDC PWR voltage falls velow 22 volts will set sensor faults.

NOTE: 5 Shift Switch - will activate code when engine rpm are above 3500 rpm and 40%
load.

GENERAL INFORMATION SERVICE MANUAL NUMBER 36
Page 1A-26 90-864573 FEBRUARY 2002
Warning Chart (continued)
Main Power Relay Output Yes No N/A Engine will not start
Main Power Relay Backfeed Yes No N/A Engine will not start
MAP Sensor 1 Input High Yes 2 Bp/min 90% High voltage or short
MAP Sensor 1 Input Low Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Open, no visual on
SC1000 Oil PSI CKT Hi Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Open, defaults to 50.7 psi
Oil PSI CKT Lo Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Short, defaults to 50.7 psi
Overspeed Yes Constant rpm limit Engine over rpm limit
Pitot CKT Hi No 100% Short or high voltage
Pitot CKT Lo No 100% Open
Sea Pump PSI Lo Yes Constant 6-100%
GuardStrat Sea Pump CKT Hi Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Open - 0 psi reading
Sea Pump CKT Lo Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Voltage high or short
Sea Water Temp No N/A Defaults to --31 degreesC
Fuel Level #1 No N/A Only if turned on
STB EMCT CKT Hi N/A N/A N/A N/A
STB EMCT CKT Lo N/A N/A N/A N/A
STB EMCT CKT Overheat N/A N/A N/A N/A

NOTE: If any 5v sensor becomes shorted to ground the engine will not start. If the engine
is operating when the short occurs the engine may stop operating and will not start.

NOTE: 1 GM EFI ignition system failure open or shorted, driver will flag EST 1 fault.

NOTE: 4VDC PWR Low - if shorted or no voltage engine will not start; if VDC PWR voltage
falls velow 22 volts will set sensor faults.

NOTE: 5 Shift Switch - will activate code when engine rpm are above 3500 rpm and 40%
load.
SERVICE MANUAL NUMBER 36 GENERAL INFORMATION
90-864573 FEBRUARY 2002 Page 1A-27

Warning Chart (continued)
Steer CKT Hi No 100% Short or high voltage
Steer CKT Lo No 100% Open
TPS1 CKT or Range Hi Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Short or high voltage
TPS1 CKT or Range Lo Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Open or low voltage
Trim CKT or Range Hi Yes No 100% Open or high voltage
Trim CKT or Range Lo Yes No 100% Short
5 VDC PWR Low 4 Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Short or low -
engine may not start
MAT Sensor Hi Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Open -default to --32
degrees F
MAT Sensor Lo Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Short -default to --32
degrees F
Shift Switch 5 Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Open Circuit

NOTE: If any 5v sensor becomes shorted to ground the engine will not start. If the engine is operating when the short occurs the engine may stop operating and will not start.

NOTE: 4VDC PWR Low - if shorted or no voltage engine will not start; if VDC PWR voltage
falls velow 22 volts will set sensor faults.

2008 256 SSX
496 Merc HO 425 HP
Bravo III-X Drive

#4 dowstrategy

dowstrategy
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

Thanks Wingnut, very useful info. As I read the info there seems to be only 3 alarms that will produce a constant beep. Coolant, oil pressure, and overreved. Overreved seemes to be most probable. But it is possible that something was just jarred loose. It really puzzles me that oil checked fine, overheating seems not to have occured. I am also puzzled by the alarm behavior first kicking in at higher rpms then no alarm then alarm at low RPMs. Still waiting to hear from Plano marine.
2008 Signature 250
Westerbeke Gas Gen
AC/Heating
Raymarine C70 GPS/Radar

#5 dowstrategy

dowstrategy
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

UPDATE;
I want to thank Greg Ray and Plano Marine for their exemplerary service. Greg took time between getting ready for a boat show and sleeping to drive up to Texoma and repair my boat. Not only did he fix the problem but he discovered 2 other issues that would have caused problems that I was not aware of and repaired them. Honestly, this is typical of the service I have had from them. We will be buying another Chaparral (larger of course ;) and would not dream of looking elsewhere.
2008 Signature 250
Westerbeke Gas Gen
AC/Heating
Raymarine C70 GPS/Radar

#6 Bryan Thomas

Bryan Thomas
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

what were they?

Bryan Thomas
Medina OH
2005 Chaparral 310 Signature ( SOLD )
2009 Monterey 400 SY

#7 dowstrategy

dowstrategy
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

what were they?

The alarm problem was a battery issue, battery had a bad cell and the low voltage caused the alarm issue. They also found an oil leak that could have caused issues in the future. Greg also found a problem with the boat internal water pressure pump. As I mentioned, Greg has always been good with his response and issue resolution.
2008 Signature 250
Westerbeke Gas Gen
AC/Heating
Raymarine C70 GPS/Radar

#8 mikw

mikw
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

..... My neighbor had so many problems with his Volvo, he bought me a Merc tool with adaptor cable for my PCM-555. The base unit also works on his 496. Let's just say it's been hooked on to his ride a lot more often than mine. List of alarm faults for a 2008 Merc attached…

Wingnut, I tried to PM - "Send Message" to your I.D., but it was refused. I'd like to get have the same info for my system (2003 VP 8.1L DPS). I don't have the VP equivalent of Merc's Smartcraft; but I'm sure there's diagnostic readers for my system? I'm still not sure which code system the 2003 uses? NMEA2000 (Well I KNOW it's NOT NMEA2000) vs canJ1939; or whatever it is? So, from where did you get the info; and do you know what type of code reader is required to attach to my '03 Chap? I always enjoy reading your post because they are informative, direct, and to-the-point!! I just ordered a "Secor" manual for my VP and it's not arrived yet. PM me if you prefer!! :beer-7687-1:
wallace
'03 260SSi
8.1L VP
DPS - 1.7:1 ratio w/ Two BFPs

Posted Image

#9 Wingnut

Wingnut

WINGNUT

• Members
  • 2,840 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

Wingnut, I tried to PM - "Send Message" to your I.D., but it was refused. I'd like to get have the same info for my system (2003 VP 8.1L DPS). I don't have the VP equivalent of Merc's Smartcraft; but I'm sure there's diagnostic readers for my system? I'm still not sure which code system the 2003 uses? NMEA2000 (Well I KNOW it's NOT NMEA2000) vs canJ1939; or whatever it is? So, from where did you get the info; and do you know what type of code reader is required to attach to my '03 Chap? I always enjoy reading your post because they are informative, direct, and to-the-point!! I just ordered a "Secor" manual for my VP and it's not arrived yet. PM me if you prefer!! :beer-7687-1:

Throw the secor manual away and order an OEM Volvo manual. Your code reader is a Rinda Scan Tool. www.rinda.com

Buy the one for the Merc's and you can do

• 1992-09 GM Delphi MEFI-1 thru MEFI-5b
(includes: Merc, Volvo, Indmar, PCM, Crusader, Marine Power, Kodiak, Flagship)
• 2006-Up Volvo Penta EGC EFI
• 2009 Volvo Penta EGC catalyst engines
• 2001-Up MerCruiser PCM-555 / ECM-555
• 2009 MerCruiser PCM-09 catalyst engines
• 2007-Up PCM / Crusader ECM-07 / ECM-08
• 2009 PCM / Crusader catalyst engines
• 2008-Up Indmar with Zero-Off speed control
• 2009 OBD-M compliant engines
• 1997-Up MerCruiser 2.8 / 4.2L D-Tronic Diesel
• 1997-05 MerCruiser 7.3L D-Tronic Diesel
• 2005-07 KEM Industrial support
• 1999-Up GM RamJet EFI crate engines
• 1994-01 Mercury / Denso 3.0L Outboards
• 1994-99 Mercury Racing / FMS 2.5L Outboards

Kit Contents
• MerCruiser scan tool with version 5 software
• 1992 - Up GM MEFI adapter
• Fuel injector test lead
• Instruction manual
• Hard shell padded carrying case

Optional Adapters
• 94027 CAN Network Adapter
• 94006 MerCruiser PCM-555 / ECM-555 adapter
• 94024 Volvo Penta 2006-07 EGC adapter
• 94026 PCM / Crusader ECM-07 adapter
• 94020 MerCruiser Thunderbolt V adapter
• 94014 MerCruiser 2.8L / 4.2L diesel adapter
• 94021 MerCruiser 7.3L diesel adapter
• 94022 KEM Industrial adapter
• 94011 Mercury 3.0L outboard adapter
• 94013 Mercury Racing 2.5L adapter
2008 256 SSX
496 Merc HO 425 HP
Bravo III-X Drive

#10 mpm330

mpm330

Retired Admiral of the United Texas Fleet

• Members
  • 11,938 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

UPDATE;
I want to thank Greg Ray and Plano Marine for their exemplerary service. Greg took time between getting ready for a boat show and sleeping to drive up to Texoma and repair my boat. Not only did he fix the problem but he discovered 2 other issues that would have caused problems that I was not aware of and repaired them. Honestly, this is typical of the service I have had from them. We will be buying another Chaparral (larger of course ;) and would not dream of looking elsewhere.

Greg has always provided me with good service. I don't know were he finds enough hours in the day to do everything.

Delivery_day_11.jpg

Mike
2009 Sig 330
Lady Christina
twin 350 mags / BIII with DTS
Lake Lewisville, The United Texas

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. ."
Thomas Jefferson

#11 dowstrategy

dowstrategy
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

Greg has always provided me with good service. I don't know were he finds enough hours in the day to do everything.

Yeah, he is like the energizer bunny during boating season. He wont answer his phone most times but rarely fails to respond to a text.
2008 Signature 250
Westerbeke Gas Gen
AC/Heating
Raymarine C70 GPS/Radar

#12 bmcgov

bmcgov
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:57 AM

I'm glad u started this post...I recently purchased a 2012 216ssi with the 270 Volvo...love the boat by the way. Shortly after pick up I was getting an alarm and the hazard symbol on the dash. (which i thought was the same as the computer alarm similer to when u have low fuel or when u r in shallow water....i am new to chaparral so what do i know) When I brought it in for the 20 hr service and I described the problem to the guy doing the service. He thought it might be a fuel sensor problem since I also thought the fuel gauge was way off of where it should be. So he told me he was ordering a new fuel sensor and I went on my way. Well it happened a few more times the next day and it also powered the boat down a few times along with the alarm when I was going at a higher rpm. So I brought the boat back. After a day of investigation the new service guy called me and said he had found the problem but it was going to take a few days for the parts to come in. ( in the mean time they send me over a loaner boat which was great, very happy the marina did this for me since im not sure of the usual protocol in this situation). So obviously although the marina has been great I'm not happy having problems with a brand new boat, furthermore has anyone else had the same problem and should I be worried about long term engine damage? Any insight would be great.

#13 mpm330

mpm330

Retired Admiral of the United Texas Fleet

• Members
  • 11,938 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

Yeah, he is like the energizer bunny during boating season. He wont answer his phone most times but rarely fails to respond to a text.

The reason that he doesn't answer his phone is that he is usually down in some boats engine room.

BMCGOV - I think we will need to know what part it is that the mechanic is replacing. I had a problem on one of my engines that would give me a warning and it turned out to be a failed sensor for the trim. Took a few days to get the part and no damage to engine. What I am saying is the new engines have many sensor that provide information to the EMC and they can generate lots of different errors. They are also designed to protect the engines and will restrict power to protect the engine. Once you find out what failed, post and I am sure someone will have some advise.

Delivery_day_11.jpg

Mike
2009 Sig 330
Lady Christina
twin 350 mags / BIII with DTS
Lake Lewisville, The United Texas

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. ."
Thomas Jefferson

#14 bmcgov

bmcgov
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

Geez..sorry I'm an idiot ...they are replacing the exhaust manifold....something about it possibly being machined wrong and running hot...

#15 bmcgov

bmcgov
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

Anyone have and ideas?

#16 bmcgov

bmcgov
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

No opinions? Wow

#17 jollymonsing

jollymonsing
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

Just got 2004 235ssi with 70 hours. I have put 30 on in the last two weeks. Twice when reducing to idle speed I a series of repetitive beeps that do no stop unless you increase speed out shut the boat off. Help?

#18 Shepherd

Shepherd

First Sea Lord

• Validating
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

MerCruiser power?  Fuel injected?

Might be a faulty water pressure sensor (white body) that has puked from your description.  MerCruiser part # 8M6000623 is the new black bodied sensor that has proven to be a lot more robust.

Depending on the engine, this sensor is located on the power steering cooler, or on the seawater pump itself.

1100497180.jpg

The most important things in life aren't things.
Anthony J. D'Angelo

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#19 jollymonsing

jollymonsing
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

Would that go off sporadically. Ran for an hour at cruising speed with no problems. Slowed to dock and started beeping

#20 Shepherd

Shepherd

First Sea Lord

• Validating
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

Correct, that's why I think you either have a faulty water pressure sensor, or, the impeller is getting weak and needs to be replaced.

If a MerCruiser fuel injected engine, typically we hook the computer up to the ECM, and see what the seawater/block pressure is running at.  When the sensor gets short circuited with water internally, the water pressure often reads 0.0 - 1.0 psi, and/or doesn't change as the engine is running.  At higher RPM levels, the sensor will show the minimum seawater/block psi required to keep the ECM happy.  Hence, the alarm at low RPM levels that don't stop unless your shut the engine off, or speed up.

Typically 3-11 psi at higher RPM levels during normal/correct water pressure sensor operation, and 2.0-3.0 psi at lower RPM levels.

The most important things in life aren't things.
Anthony J. D'Angelo

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image