Buying a new boat on Ebay?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 vtrailroadguy

vtrailroadguy
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:08 AM

Anyone here buy a new boat off ebay and if so what advice can you give? I'm watching what could become my first boat.

Josh

#2 mpm330

mpm330

Retired Admiral of the United Texas Fleet

• Members
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

Not done it, but would say buyer beware. Did sell a sailboat on ebay a few years back. The buyer was from Denver and drove down and inspected the boat before he took ownership. He did not get to take it for a sail since he was in a hurry and we had it lifted before he arrived. The charge for the hual out was his, but he seemed happy with his purchase. It was interesting that during the biding, one person bid and even sent emails asking question, but at the last minute this guy jumped in and won.

Delivery_day_11.jpg

Mike
2009 Sig 330
Lady Christina
twin 350 mags / BIII with DTS
Lake Lewisville, The United Texas

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. ."
Thomas Jefferson

#3 Whalersailor

Whalersailor
  • Members
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

I bought a boat on Ebay from a dealership with the understanding that I would be driving 4 hours up to Connecticut within 5 days to inspect and sea trial it before the sale was final. I did not send them a down payment and was not willing to do same until I had seen and tested the boat. Upon inspection and a satisfactory sea trial, I ended up negotiating the price down another 3000 deer due to some minor issues I found with the boat. The fact that the impeller gave out and stranded us until the dealership could send a tech out to replace it during the sea trial worked in my favor as well and I ended up with a new impeller, great price on a new trailer and 3000 deer less then what I had expected to pay for the boat. Best advice I can give is to proceed very cautiously. If the seller lists themselves anywhere, contact them directly and try and do everything outside of Ebay. Most sellers have listings in other venues, so you should be able to make contact with them if your interested in their boat. Welcome to the forum Josh.
Clayton

West Chester, Pennsylvania
Avalon, New Jersey
Northeast, Maryland

2005 Black 256 SSi. 350 MAG, MPI, Bravo-3.
2011 Venture I-Beam bunk, dual axle/surge disc
Tow Veh. 2010 F-150 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab

The ebb and flow of the Atlantic tides
the drift of the continents and
the very position of the sun along its ecliptic.
These are just a few of the things I control in my world.

Go Navy!

#4 vtrailroadguy

vtrailroadguy
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

I bought a boat on Ebay from a dealership with the understanding that I would be driving 4 hours up to Connecticut within 5 days to inspect and sea trial it before the sale was final. I did not send them a down payment and was not willing to do same until I had seen and tested the boat. Upon inspection and a satisfactory sea trial, I ended up negotiating the price down another 3000 deer due to some minor issues I found with the boat. The fact that the impeller gave out and stranded us until the dealership could send a tech out to replace it during the sea trial worked in my favor as well and I ended up with a new impeller, great price on a new trailer and 3000 deer less then what I had expected to pay for the boat. Best advice I can give is to proceed very cautiously. If the seller lists themselves anywhere, contact them directly and try and do everything outside of Ebay. Most sellers have listings in other venues, so you should be able to make contact with them if your interested in their boat. Welcome to the forum Josh.

Try to do it outside of Ebay? Wouldn't Ebay give me some buyer protection?

#5 Phil @ LKN

Phil @ LKN

Admiral of LKN - Self Appointed

• Members
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

The boat in the photos below is for sale. It's a great boat.

Phil at Lake Norman
2005 Signature 310 SOLD
Volvo 5.7 OSI-XDP
Paradise

ParadiseOnTheMove52-cr-1.jpg ParadiseOnTheMove05-crLarge-1.jpg

#6 Desert Dog

Desert Dog
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

Try to do it outside of Ebay? Wouldn't Ebay give me some buyer protection?

I wouldn't bet thousands on it.

Good luck!
Mike

2004 240 Signature
Mercruiser 350 Bravo III
2011 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins

#7 nrbsr

nrbsr
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:17 PM

Bought a 190ssi a couple of years ago on ebay for 20 herds (I bid for my SIL) . Drove 250 miles to check it out before payment. Boat was mint with 25 hours.

My son in law had set up a wire transfer and after inspection he called his bank to give the go ahead on the transfer which turned out to take six hours before it reached the sellers account. Now this was my first experience with a wire transfer but I had anticipated that it would be nearly instant.

Is there another way to do this besides a wire transfer?

I admit that both we and the seller were pretty nervous about doing this ebay deal but it worked out and the boat has been trouble free.

Norb

'07 204 SSI

5.0 MPI Merc
2011 F150 Ecoboost Supercrew
Upstate, New York
180 Club Member #60
Chap204a.jpg

#8 Richard W

Richard W

Always Learning

• Members
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:18 AM

Is there another way to do this besides a wire transfer?

If buyer is present during transaction, a cashier's check or bank draft would work ... it's like cash.

Best ... Richard

Have boat called "anytime", 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature, with
VP 8.1Gi-H 375hp and 1.78 DPS-A with F4 duoprop, cruising

Saint Lawrence River and Lake Ontario in USA and Canada

#9 vtrailroadguy

vtrailroadguy
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:05 AM

Anyone happen to be near Berlin, MD? :)

#10 nrbsr

nrbsr
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

If buyer is present during transaction, a cashier's check or bank draft would work ... it's like cash.

We discussed this option but the buyer was reluctant to release the boat until the check cleared and I can understand that. I don't know if it would be possible to present the check to the sellers bank and have them clear it right away?

This particular deal worked out fine but didn't make me any more comfortable about doing it again.

Norb

'07 204 SSI

5.0 MPI Merc
2011 F150 Ecoboost Supercrew
Upstate, New York
180 Club Member #60
Chap204a.jpg

#11 Hatchman

Hatchman
  • Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:33 AM

I sold a lot of bikes and cars in my day. For a check deal, I like to go to the buyer's bank with the buyer and have them cut me a cashiers check or get cash. Unless the bank goes out of business, I know it's good and at least I know the check is "real" and not a forgery. i wouldn't trust a personal check.

Sold a lot of bikes with cash, up to $8,000. It's not to hard to hold the bills up to the light and see the strip, or get one of those ink pens that show if a bill is fake.

Sold a WWII Jeep on ebay to a guy in England. Got the buyer to electronic transfer the funds into my account. Few days later we put the vehicle on a car hauler, site unseen, to be shipped over. He sent pictures a few years later after the total restore. It was a great transaction.

I wouldn't give payment until I had seen the boat. I think even a plane ticket is worth the peice of mind to know the boat is legit. Insist on a sea trial, or survey, or both.
2005 Signature 260
Volvo 5.7L Gi-E w/1.95 DP-SM

#12 Whalersailor

Whalersailor
  • Members
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

By doing it outside of Ebay, you should be able to negotiate a little more since they won't have to pay the fee's. Ebay does offer some protection, make sure you read your contracts before committing though. With regard to the check, I was dealing with a dealership and brought along a cashiers check, so they were not reluctant to accept it. If it were me, I too would be reluctant to accept a personal check.
Clayton

West Chester, Pennsylvania
Avalon, New Jersey
Northeast, Maryland

2005 Black 256 SSi. 350 MAG, MPI, Bravo-3.
2011 Venture I-Beam bunk, dual axle/surge disc
Tow Veh. 2010 F-150 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab

The ebb and flow of the Atlantic tides
the drift of the continents and
the very position of the sun along its ecliptic.
These are just a few of the things I control in my world.

Go Navy!

#13 Rick480

Rick480
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

I have bought cars, motorcycles, and yes a Chaparrel 256ssi on Ebay. Maybe I have been lucky but I have been happy with all my purchases. Boat and motorcycle I paid for and had shipped to me from over 1000 miles away, sight unseen. Guess I am more trusting than most.

#14 venom600

venom600
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

I bought my truck on eBay. Contacted the seller, which was a dealership, and negotiated a lower price. He allowed me to 'Make an Offer' of the price we agreed and he accepted it. I gave him a $500 down payment, then flew down to TX to pick it up. I had a cashier's check for the balance with me. They allowed me to take the truck for an hour or so and run down my own checklist and look it over. Handed over the cashier's check and started driving the 1600 miles home! It went well, but if the seller hadn't been responsive, or allowed me to take my time going over it....the deal wouldn't have happened.

--Ben
2001 Chaparral 220 SSi "Big Oardeal"
5.7L Volvo GSi, SX
Towing with an '08 Ram 2500, 6.7L Cummins "Big Deal"