First, my current boat specs:
- Year: 1998 (I was 15 years old when this boat was sold)
- Make: Chaparral (what else would it be on this forum?)
- Model: 2130 SS (Limited Edition - I think that got you some faux wood trim, a compass, and a depth sounder... how does that make it "limited"?)
- Length: 20' 6"
- Beam: 8' 4"
- Engine: GM 305 V8 w/ Throttle Body EFI - 240 HP (Yes, I would love for it have the 350 V8... no idea why the previous owner skimped on the motor...)
- Stern Drive: Mercruiser Alpha One, 1.47 Drive Ratio
- OEM Weight: ~ 3150 lbs
- Current Prop: Mercury 21 Pitch Aluminum 3 Blade (don't know the diameter)
- Full Laden Specs - 6 adults: ~ 1020 lbs
- Gear: 100 lbs
- Full Laden WOT Engine RPM: 4,800
- Full Laden WOT GPS Speed @ 4,800 RPM: 45 mph
- Minimum Laden Specs - 2 adults: 350 lbs
- Gear: 70 lbs
- Minimum Laden WOT Engine RPM: 4,900
- Minumum Laden WOT GPS Speed @ 4,900 RPM: 49 mph
My boat did come with a stainless steel 21 pitch Mercury Vengeance propeller that was a bit chewed up. I had it reconditioned and installed on the boat yesterday, but I haven't had it out yet. I have no idea what to expect in performance compared to the current prop.
I've been considering the Mercury High Five as it comes highly recommended for this type of boat and intended use (and I have a wonderful source to get it quite a bit a cheaper than current market price). I'm also wondering about the Revolution Four. Are there any other props to consider from the other propeller manufacturers?
Everyone seems to recommend a pitch, but no one ever comments on radius/diameter. I would imagine that diameter has a substantial effect - is it something to consider in addition to pitch?