• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Seamus

Seamus
  • Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Gang - please chime in with your input.

I follow all the rules regarding running the blowers (before engine start, after shut-down, while in no-wake speed), but to be honest, at the helm it seems very loud and a pain in the a$$. I am wondering if there is a way to "silence" the blowers - or if loud, does it suggest replacement is needed?

Engine compartment has the sound barrier mounted to the underside of the hatch, but still is very annoying.

Thanks!
Lake George NY
2002 Signature 280 (now the old 290) 30'8" LOA, 10' Beam
Twin 5.0L 220hp Merc's, Bravo II
"Slainte" (Irish Language, translates to "To Your Health!" or "Cheers!")

Posted Image Posted Image

#2 Richard W

Richard W

Always Learning

• Members
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

I have replaced two heavy-duty, 12A each, noisy black Jabsco blowers with a new type like this from Attwood (4" Model 1749-1): http://www.attwoodma...e/turbo-4000-ii

Much quieter and easier on the batteries ... only 3A each ... nearly the same capacity in CFM. I believe this type is being used on newer boats. Save the old deutsch connectors as you will need to use them with new blowers.

Best ... Richard

Have boat called "anytime", 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature, with
VP 8.1Gi-H 375hp and 1.78 DPS-A with F4 duoprop, cruising

Saint Lawrence River and Lake Ontario in USA and Canada

#3 better_when_wet

better_when_wet
  • Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

On my old SR the blower started to get louder as it was on it's way out. I had a bit of a different setup though. The boat had the intake on the side of the boat. If you left the blower on it would force air into the blower stripping it out or ruining the motor.
Agreeing with Richard W. On my Chap the blower is very quit and being that Ionce left it on for two days I'd say it doesn't draw my power.

P1010564-1.jpg2006 256 SSI 6.2 L Bravo III
2008 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax

1999 Jeep Wrangler

#4 Scani6

Scani6
  • Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

The blower on our boat is loud. The admiral doesn't like the noise, I kind of like it as to know it's on. However, when idling around in No Wake zones, the drone does get a little tiresome.

0811111915.jpg

1997 260 Signature
7.4L Bravo III
2008 Silverado Crew LTZ

1990 2050 SL Sold

#5 mpm330

mpm330

Retired Admiral of the United Texas Fleet

• Members
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

WHAT DID YOU SAY!

I will have to look into a couple of the Attwoods. Several on here have placed rubber washers or rubber pad under mounting braket.

Delivery_day_11.jpg

Mike
2009 Sig 330
Lady Christina
twin 350 mags / BIII with DTS
Lake Lewisville, The United Texas

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. ."
Thomas Jefferson

#6 MontreAl

MontreAl
  • Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

I never run the blowers in a no wake zone or after engine shutdown. Didn't know it was recommended. What is the logic behind this anyway?

I operate the blower when re-fueling and before start-up, unless I have the engine compartment open then i don't bother. Am I asking for trouble?

All the Best, MontreAl

"JAH Love" '08 Sig 270, 8.1L Seacor

Venice, FL

"Poco Loco" '06 Four Winns H180, 3L V/P

Littleton, NH

#7 mpm330

mpm330

Retired Admiral of the United Texas Fleet

• Members
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

I never run the blowers in a no wake zone or after engine shutdown. Didn't know it was recommended. What is the logic behind this anyway? I operate the blower when re-fueling and before start-up, unless I have the engine compartment open then i don't bother. Am I asking for trouble?

The thought is that at no wake speeds there may not be enough air flow through the engine compartment. After shut down it is to remove any vapors that may be in the compartment. I have found that it helps to blow the CO out of there.

It isn't really recommended that blower be running while fueling. The blowers could pull in fumes and cause a problem. It is better to run them after fueling is complete and before starting. It is a good idea to open engine compartment and check for the order of fuel.

Delivery_day_11.jpg

Mike
2009 Sig 330
Lady Christina
twin 350 mags / BIII with DTS
Lake Lewisville, The United Texas

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. ."
Thomas Jefferson

#8 Wingnut

Wingnut

WINGNUT

• Members
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

I never run the blowers in a no wake zone or after engine shutdown. Didn't know it was recommended. What is the logic behind this anyway?

I operate the blower when re-fueling and before start-up, unless I have the engine compartment open then i don't bother. Am I asking for trouble?

Never run the blowers during refueling. After, before starting only.

W
2008 256 SSX
496 Merc HO 425 HP
Bravo III-X Drive

#9 Wingnut

Wingnut

WINGNUT

• Members
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Install an 18" section of flex hose on the blower inlet, and terminate it at the same elevation in the bilge that the present blower inlet sits. Put at least a 45 degree bend in the hose, and your revised blower should be 50% quieter.

W
2008 256 SSX
496 Merc HO 425 HP
Bravo III-X Drive

#10 jmiska

jmiska
  • Members
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Mine has been getting annoyingly loud. It wasn't just air noise, but motor noise. I did find that one of the two mounting screws was lose, and this was allowing play in the housing and vibration, all of which made the noise much worse. When I tightened both screws down it got a lot quieter, but I have a feeling that the bearings in the motor may be wearing out because it still seems to whine. I generally just leave mine on all the time I'm running, which may be contributing to it wearing out, but I'd rather be safe.

Thanks for the advice on the Attwood. I want a quieter blower. I'm sick of the noise.

Joe

boatatdocksm_zps2f1b6fc7.jpg?t=136949063

2003 Sunesta 223, 5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Boat name: Watermark

USPS: Anclote Key Sail and Power Squadron

#11 Richard W

Richard W

Always Learning

• Members
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

Mine has been getting annoyingly loud. It wasn't just air noise, but motor noise. ... When I tightened both screws down it got a lot quieter, but I have a feeling that the bearings in the motor may be wearing out because it still seems to whine.

That was my case ... one blower was considerably noisier b/o high frequency vibration/screech (bearings?). I could hear the old blowers over noise of the engine at cruising speed. Now they are barely noticeable in cockpit with engine cover closed, and hard to noticed at idle speed.

Best ... Richard

Have boat called "anytime", 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature, with
VP 8.1Gi-H 375hp and 1.78 DPS-A with F4 duoprop, cruising

Saint Lawrence River and Lake Ontario in USA and Canada

#12 p1mlb01

p1mlb01
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:03 AM

I replaced the foam under my engine compartment with dynaliner, it's a sound deadening, shelf adhesive black foam. I also replaced my blower and wrapped it in some dynamat that I had on hand. I also used it on the mounting tabs. Made a big difference in the sound levels for sure.

http://www.crutchfie...ck.html?tp=2277
Crutchfield has the dynaliner as well, it required 2 kits to complete the engine cover on my 1930ss.

Attached Files

1997 Chaparral 1930 SS

Mercruiser 5.7 Alpha 1

IMG_1284.jpg

#13 George290

George290
  • Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

http://forum.chaparr...= loud blowers

http://forum.chaparr...hl=blower noise

the above links address this issue.  the fist link references the second link.  my pictures are no longer active.  if anyone is interested, i'll have to find them and repost or use something like photobucket.

look at these links and comment.

If we weren't all crazy we would go insane. J Buffett
2005 Sig 290
5.0 Volvo DP
Pacifi-Her

#14 Seamus

Seamus
  • Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

http://forum.chaparr...= loud blowers

http://forum.chaparr...hl=blower noise

the above links address this issue.  the fist link references the second link.  my pictures are no longer active.  if anyone is interested, i'll have to find them and repost or use something like photobucket.

look at these links and comment.

George - I would love to see the photos of your install/fix.

Thanks!

Lake George NY

#15 George290

George290
  • Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Seamus:

i am a little late replying to the request.  i did finally find the pictures i took after modification of the blowers.  i uploaded four pictures of the blowers and one of my Xtreme Heater placement between the engines.  take a look and let me know if you have any questions.  i loaded the all pictures in my gallery, four in george290 pictures and one in Xtreme Heater pictures.

2005 Sig 290
5.0 Volvo DP
Pacifi-Her

#16 Black Pearl

Black Pearl
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Better late than never! Never, Never, run your blowers while fueling. Close windows, cabin door etc while fueling. After fueling, open doors and run blowers for a couple of minutes prior to starting.
th_IMG_2669.jpg?t=1282489188

#17 Seamus

Seamus
  • Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

I have replaced two heavy-duty, 12A each, noisy black Jabsco blowers with a new type like this from Attwood (4" Model 1749-1): http://www.attwoodma...e/turbo-4000-ii

Much quieter and easier on the batteries ... only 3A each ... nearly the same capacity in CFM. I believe this type is being used on newer boats. Save the old deutsch connectors as you will need to use them with new blowers.

OK, I just bought 2 of the Attwood's and will have my mechanic replace the existing ones (using rubber grommets) when he tunes up the engines.  I'll let you all know if it solved the issue.

Lake George NY

#18 George290

George290
  • Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

if you don't isolate the blower from the hull, you will still have noise.  scres will still go to hull even woth grommets.  have him mount them on vibration dampners.

did you see my photes?  i tried to email you but said you couln't get emails for some reason.

2005 Sig 290
5.0 Volvo DP
Pacifi-Her

#19 Toddler

Toddler
  • Members
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

The blower on our boat is loud. The admiral doesn't like the noise, I kind of like it as to know it's on. However, when idling around in No Wake zones, the drone does get a little tiresome.

I think he was talking about one of these...DSC01920.jpg

:hehe:  :oregonian_winesmiley:

Matt    

2006 256ssi, 496 BIII, Blue

6 Saturdays & a Sunday

9c582862-dab3-4312-8ca5-c7591a480183_zps

#20 Seamus

Seamus
  • Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

if you don't isolate the blower from the hull, you will still have noise.  scres will still go to hull even woth grommets.  have him mount them on vibration dampners.

did you see my photes?  i tried to email you but said you couln't get emails for some reason.

Hey George - yes, I saw your photos - thanks!  I will share them with mechanic.

Lake George NY