Chaparral Jet Boats

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Rip5

Rip5
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

Hi all, new hear and have been considering a used 204 Chap, but saw Chap will be making Jet Boats later this year, and

might wait for one of those.  Should be nice boats with "Sea Doo" power.

Chaparral Boats, Inc. announces entrance into the jet boat market

Chaparral Boats Inc.
April 29, 2013
Filed under News

Nashville, GA - Chaparral Boats, Inc. announced a supply agreement today with Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) to power a planned new line of jet boats, slated for introduction later this year.

“BRP is excited to begin this relationship with Chaparral Boats, a company with a proud heritage, excellent reputation and one that shares our commitment to the marine industry,” said Alain Villemure, Vice President and General Manager of BRP’s Marine Propulsion System division.

“BRP’s Rotax 4-TEC in-board jet propulsion system is a proven power source and the perfect complement to Chaparral’s award-winning line-up of boats.  We believe that this strategic relationship promises to deliver consumers a best-in-class boating experience that’s supported by an outstanding dealer network.”

#2 cyclops2

cyclops2
  • Members
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

There goes the peacefull dock times.

Here comes the cause of the boats to bounce around in their slips on the weekends

Canadian jets are O K. Been there & liked their respect for others.

#3 brick

brick
  • Members
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

Pesky Canadians! And we thought they just were Hockey and Maple Syrup! Now a hybrid Chaparral/Canadian jet boat. What's next??
brick
brick
cute wife
2005 220SSi
350 MAG MPI/B3 2.0/24's
New Dimension tower
C6 Corvette (when not boating)

#4 MonkeySeaII

MonkeySeaII

Monkey Sea 2

• Members
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

Ugh, not sure how I feel about this!!  Not a fan of Jet boats!!

Lake Wallenpaupack PA
'07 256 SSi
(496 Mag, B3, Corsa Exhaust, K&N Arrestor, Bennett Trim Tabs)
'08 Silverado 2500HD (Duramax Diesel, 6" Fabtech Lift, Edge Evolution Tuner)

#5 Sand Man

Sand Man
  • Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

Seadoo is extremely unreliable. You never see rentals offer sea don'ts. Don't wait. I just sold a jet boat. Impossible to drive straight. The Chap dealer here has 3 Yamahas they took in trade.

2006 Red 256 SSI W/Arch
2011 Volvo Penta 5.7 320HP
New risers & manifolds 2011
Closed Cooling System
Fusion IP600 W/Bluetooth
JBL Sub
JL 6.5 Speakers All Around
Custom Covers
Pro Mariner Charger
Aluminum Road King Trailer
Red BMW 335 Convertible

#6 mpm330

mpm330

Retired Admiral of the United Texas Fleet

• Members
  • 11,932 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

Wonder what type of boat they are going to build for the jet drive.

Delivery_day_11.jpg

Mike
2009 Sig 330
Lady Christina
twin 350 mags / BIII with DTS
Lake Lewisville, The United Texas

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. ."
Thomas Jefferson

#7 Ric

Ric
  • Members
  • 797 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

I just rode in a new AR240 Yamaha. Awesome layout but for every hour of runtime involved 15 minutes of pulling weeds out. Horrible boat.

2003 215ss | Cruise & Premium Package

-MarinAire Micra Air Conditioning and Heat

-House battery bank + inverter to run A/C

-Kenwood X597 Bluetooth Stereo

-Infinity Reference 612M speakers

-24" 1080p 12v LED TV with Smart TV computer
-Magma Cabo grill w/ swim platform mount

-Coming soon:  Custom storage closet/AC enclosure, Performance Engine Upgrades

1XU0kZl.jpg

#8 Baum's aweigh

Baum's aweigh
  • Members
  • 761 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

Sea Don't gets out of the jet drive boat biz and makes a deal with Chaparral? How do you spell SUCKER?.

AL

2012 196 SSI WT
4.3 VP SX
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
290 HP V-6 5000lb capacity.
Lake Lanier, GA

2012-07-15142752.jpg

#9 WV Relax

WV Relax
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

Maybe now you cruiser guys can buy a Rotax powered bow thruster !  :popcorn:

2011 - Chaparral 246 SSI "Dohi Yona"
Blue Vapor w/ Driftwood
Mercruiser 5.7L 350 Mag 300HP Bravo III

#10 mpm330

mpm330

Retired Admiral of the United Texas Fleet

• Members
  • 11,932 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Maybe now you cruiser guys can buy a Rotax powered bow thruster !  :popcorn:

I think the Lewmar is more reliable. :drink-buddy:

Delivery_day_11.jpg

Mike
2009 Sig 330
Lady Christina
twin 350 mags / BIII with DTS
Lake Lewisville, The United Texas

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. ."
Thomas Jefferson

#11 WV Relax

WV Relax
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

Maybe, but you wouldn't turn nearly as fast as you would with a 180 HP Rotax pushing your bow.

2011 - Chaparral 246 SSI "Dohi Yona"
Blue Vapor w/ Driftwood
Mercruiser 5.7L 350 Mag 300HP Bravo III

#12 cyclops2

cyclops2
  • Members
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

We have a name for Jets.

Vacuum cleaners.  As Ric in post # 7 pointed out.

We get rid of Jets who raise the devil at night. ........Cut about 50' of any floating dark line. Put it in their play area at full sundown. Dark color is impossible to see.

If they suck the piece in. It melts to the pump parts & when stopped can not be repaired. 1 jet ruined is enough for the noise makers in any area. We never have repeat customers.

#13 cyclops2

cyclops2
  • Members
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

The best jet boats used to be the Australians. Watch their  Jet Boat Nationals. Those ARE hot stuff.

#14 Jjlai724

Jjlai724
  • Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

I'm surprised the Chaparral would get into the jet boat market.  They make such a good quality boat already.  What kind of market are they trying to "target" with these things?  I would think the jet boats would not ride as nice as a prop model boat of it's size.  Since the hull will need to be able to get on plane faster and stay there as well.  I thought jet boats get terrible gas mileage too? 

Be interesting too see what comes out.

1999 2835 twin - 5.7 / Bravo III

2000 1950 Lund Tyee 200HP Yamaha

bd6947c6-715e-42d7-b643-6b2e682c2641.jpg          ab2dc3a7-7e9d-47ba-8b18-989e7546a0c0.jpg

#15 Sand Man

Sand Man
  • Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

They are great if you have to be in very shallow water as we are. But still, I just couldn't take it anymore. Impossible to get on a lift. Just get close, turn it off and pull it straight by hand getting the seaweed out is bad enough but wait until one of the clean out plugs blows out and you get a foot of water in the boat. I am going to struggle getting in and out of the cove I am on but at least it will go where I point it. With HALF the noise. Lastly, they just don't have the HP to push a Chap. My 23 went 48 BUT they only weigh 2900 lbs. that correct, 2900. Which is why it gets slammed around by one foot waves. Bought it last June and was ready to sell by august
2006 Red 256 SSI W/Arch
2011 Volvo Penta 5.7 320HP
New risers & manifolds 2011
Closed Cooling System
Fusion IP600 W/Bluetooth
JBL Sub
JL 6.5 Speakers All Around
Custom Covers
Pro Mariner Charger
Aluminum Road King Trailer
Red BMW 335 Convertible

#16 Toddler

Toddler
  • Members
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

Well somebody at Corporate has a great idea, when he sold this plan to management.

Hope he also polished up his(her) resume cause when this is done they'll be looking for work elsewhere. :thththsoapbox2-1:

Matt      

2006 256ssi, 496 BIII, Blue

6 Saturdays & a Sunday

Its OUT of the barn......Ozarks in a week......

[url=http://s404.photobucket.com/user/mforneris/media/d4e4884f-88b0-4f5b-9885-e2fbc687d274_zpsfadcffb9.jpg.html]d4e4884f-88b0-4f5b-9885-e2fbc687d274_zps

#17 jmiska

jmiska
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

I'm surprised they're trying that market.  I wonder if it will be like the little Boston Whalers that tried jet drives.  There's one of those sitting at a charity boat donation lot near me for next to nothing. It's in great shape, and can't sell.  My friends who know Whalers say they were awful and not to touch them.

SandMan, I think there are a lot of people around me who think the same way as you did.  Our river is about 3 miles of very, very shallow running, with a narrow, winding, unmarked channel that is only a couple feet deep and 10' wide in some areas.  If you don't know the exact route through, you'll get stuck.  For that reason, probably about a third of the boats around here are jets.  My neighbor has a top of the line new Yamaha that looks kind of like a Sunesta 244.  It's a pretty boat, annd fast as he!!, but hard to control.  They've had it about a year and are finally getting decent at docking.  His reason for getting it was the shallow river.  On the other hand, there are a couple 30' deep V twin engine off-shore sport boats a little up the river, and they come and go.  One is an absolutely beautiful boat that has twin big blocks and bravo3 drives.  It's a very expensive looking boat, with custom graphics, arch and fittings and sounds incredible.  He does what everyone else here does to get out:  Know the water, get up on plane and go for it.  When I got my boat, I knew the river was shallow, but I also figured that if he could get out, so could I.  The ironic thing is that the two times I've damaged props it was at idle.  On plane, I can skim right over the shallows.  Some spots are shallow enough at low tide that I need to crank the boat into a hard turn crossing the sandbars just to get the drive sideways and out of the way. 

Anyway, I don't see the point in limiting seaworthiness just to make it easier getting in and out of the inlets.  To me, the jet boats really just become river and inlet boats, and can't go where most people want to boat.

Joe

boatatdocksm_zps2f1b6fc7.jpg?t=136949063

2003 Sunesta 223, 5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Boat name: Watermark

USPS: Anclote Key Sail and Power Squadron

#18 cyclops2

cyclops2
  • Members
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

Tight money times makes bussinesses get panicky. Especially if they have a big yacht on payments.

It you have a good back & kidneys....................They will be toast on some models.

Ever go to a island wedding on your Jet ?

Lets stick to our comfy V  hulls.

#19 Toddavid

Toddavid
  • Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

Sea Ray just introduced their jetboat line, for what it's worth.

Seems like a way to attract more newbies to the brand. Low cost of entry, low cost to maintenance. Most newbies don't have a frame of reference when it comes to boat noise, handling, or ride comfort (I didn't).

My buddy has a Yamaha SX240 and he says my Chap is like a Cadillac to his Miata. I agree. Softer ride, *much* quieter, and more amenities for the size.

Todd
2007 254 Sunesta
Mercruiser 350 MAG MPI, Bravo III
Wesco Aluminum Tandem
2004 GMC Sierra 3500 4x4 Crew Cab Diesel Dually (FFCCDD)

sig_pic_zps03489efe.jpg

#20 cyclops2

cyclops2
  • Members
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

Can you see the look on the E R staff as they look at my ejected 50 mph, 75 year old body.

They would start up a betting pool on me. I would buy a ticket if I could move. :)