Hi . Swim platform 2003 - 183SS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Limey

Limey
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:24 AM

Hi . Swim platform 2003 - 183SS . Any leads or general advice regarding where to get , type , fitting instructions , prices or anything to avoid .
The boat is in Spain , and I live in England .Thanks Limey .

#2 ___

___
  • Members
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:17 AM

No pricing discussions allowed. BUT, the shipping is probably going to double the cost of the platform for you. :(

Try getting a quote from these two places.

www.swim-platform.com
www.swimplatforms.com
Honorary 180 Club Member #1

#3 Shepherd

Shepherd

First Sea Lord

• Validating
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:44 AM

Hi . Swim platform 2003 - 183SS . Any leads or general advice regarding where to get , type , fitting instructions , prices or anything to avoid .
The boat is in Spain , and I live in England .Thanks Limey .

Get a quote from your Chaparral dealer. Ask them for an extended swim platform for a current model 190 SSi; I'm certain they are one and the same kit #. Must ensure that the 190 SSi model is in fact the 5 piece windshield model. Older 186/190 SSi (3 piece windshield models) swim platform will not fit your boat. The Chap kit is nicer finished than aftermarket models, and includes all hardware. I like using 3M 5200 marine sealant for the thru-bolts, etc. NOTE: I think your dealer will need to know if you have MerCruiser or Volvo power too.

Only other thing you will need to do is relocate your swim ladder to the swim platform, and plug those old holes; just use ss bolts/washers/nuts coated with 3M 5200. In place of where the old ladder was, I would also order the 16" elliptical handrail to help ingress/egress. Hard to see in the picture, but this handrail added on is a must IMO. Can't remember the Chaparral part number, but it's not that expensive and fits the contour of your hand much nicer than round style.

Only other tidbit is if you have a MerCruiser, order Mercury part # 15786a3. This is a trim limit spacer kit that ensure when you raise the drive as high as it will go, it won't hit the underside of the swim platform. Not a big deal to install.

http://www.lancaster.....7 200X140.jpg
The most important things in life aren't things.
Anthony J. D'Angelo

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Limey

Limey
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:31 PM

thanks Shepherd ! some stuff to consider.(like the thinking on extra handle )
Any other advice . Remember, what might be common knowledge in USA could be words of wisdom to me in"Englandshire in europeland"

#5 krcossin

krcossin
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:36 AM

Thanks Chris, I am getting that handrail, I didn't know it existed. It will be nice to have.
2007 Chapparral 204 ssi w/ Mercury 5.0l

#6 Shepherd

Shepherd

First Sea Lord

• Validating
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:37 AM

The oval 17" grab rail (if needed) is Chaparral part # H-045. Doesn't come with fender washers or nylock nuts; shouldn't be a big deal to source them locally though.
Anthony J. D'Angelo

#7 Chap442

Chap442

Admiral of the Gulf Coast

• Members
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:40 AM

Get a quote from your Chaparral dealer. Ask them for an extended swim platform for a current model 190 SSi; I'm certain they are one and the same kit #. Must ensure that the 190 SSi model is in fact the 5 piece windshield model. Older 186/190 SSi (3 piece windshield models) swim platform will not fit your boat. The Chap kit is nicer finished than aftermarket models, and includes all hardware. I like using 3M 5200 marine sealant for the thru-bolts, etc. NOTE: I think your dealer will need to know if you have MerCruiser or Volvo power too.

Only other thing you will need to do is relocate your swim ladder to the swim platform, and plug those old holes; just use ss bolts/washers/nuts coated with 3M 5200. In place of where the old ladder was, I would also order the 16" elliptical handrail to help ingress/egress. Hard to see in the picture, but this handrail added on is a must IMO. Can't remember the Chaparral part number, but it's not that expensive and fits the contour of your hand much nicer than round style.

Only other tidbit is if you have a MerCruiser, order Mercury part # 15786a3. This is a trim limit spacer kit that ensure when you raise the drive as high as it will go, it won't hit the underside of the swim platform. Not a big deal to install.

http://www.lancaster.....7 200X140.jpg

Chris you have the part number on the handrail?

#8 Shepherd

Shepherd

First Sea Lord

• Validating
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:38 AM

Chris you have the part number on the handrail?

Any Chaparral boats 190 SSi and larger that I have seen with the factory installed extended swim platform already have the 17" handrail. Old part # was H-128; CD says the new part # is H-045. For boats that we have added the factory swim platforms onto, we have ordered the handrail also; as it doesn't come with the s/p kit. Newer style Chap boarding ladder with integrated grabrail is leaps and bounds easier to use than older style too.

NOTE: I see the new 196 SSi WideTech doesn't have a grabrail added to help with boarding from the water. Mistake, regardless of intent or forgotten by installers IMO. Needs the 12" elliptical grabrail that the 180 SSi with factory swim platforms use. Chaparral part # H-044. Glad you guys got talking about this stuff; best to have the small items taken care of before the boat is pressed into service.
Anthony J. D'Angelo