We have a 2008 256 SSX and our

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CBD

CBD
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:25 PM

We have a 2008 256 SSX and our upgrading the stereo system, looking for someone who owns a 2007 - 2008 256 SSX with the factory upgraded subwoofer. Were does the factory locate the sub in the boat?
Thanks in advance!

#2 9rumrum

9rumrum
  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:46 AM

It is located right behind the Capt.s chair. I replaced my stock one with the JL Audio 10-IB5-4. I also replaced the stock receiver to a Clarion CMD5, and the stock speakers to, bow, JL Audio M650-CCX-CG-WH and the cockpit JL Audio M770-CCX-CG-WH, and the Amp which is located on the back wall of the front left bow cushion under seat area with the JL Audio M6450. (now its called M6600) My two biggest problems: Locating a dealer that has the speakers, and cutting the rear left hole a little bigger for the new speaker. Any other questions let me know.
Posted Image
Posted Image
2007 Red 256 SSX Merc 496 375hp
6 JL Audio component speakers
10" JL Audio sub
2 JL Audio amps
ProNautic battery charger
"9rumrum"

#3 CBD

CBD
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:16 AM

It is located right behind the Capt.s chair. I replaced my stock one with the JL Audio 10-IB5-4. I also replaced the stock receiver to a Clarion CMD5, and the stock speakers to, bow, JL Audio M650-CCX-CG-WH and the cockpit JL Audio M770-CCX-CG-WH, and the Amp which is located on the back wall of the front left bow cushion under seat area with the JL Audio M6450. (now its called M6600) My two biggest problems: Locating a dealer that has the speakers, and cutting the rear left hole a little bigger for the new speaker. Any other questions let me know.
Posted Image
Posted Image

9Rumrum,
Why did you change out the original Carion Head unit (M455), and how do you like the JL Adio speakers and amp I have heard good thigd about them, any other pics of the installation, did you have to cut the head unit opening larger and did you keep the original remotes in place?
Thanks
CBD

#4 9rumrum

9rumrum
  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:07 AM

The M455 only had 4 RCA preouts. The M 475 has 6 but doesnt have the Aux pre out. The CMD5 has 6 preouts and the aux preout. I used 2 for the front, 2 for the rear, 2 for the sub and I added an ipod connection near the passenger seat (Clarion AUXCCA) It fits in the hole perfectly, except, on the left side you will see 2 drill hole marks from the old stereo as it is a tiny bit wider. I left both remotes where they were, but disconnected the rear one because of all the problems people seem to be having with them. I will take more pics today and post them tonight. Installation was realatively easy because the old Amp had wiring to it, so I just used it.
10" JL Audio sub
2 JL Audio amps
"9rumrum"

#5 CBD

CBD
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:59 AM

The M455 only had 4 RCA preouts. The M 475 has 6 but doesnt have the Aux pre out. The CMD5 has 6 preouts and the aux preout. I used 2 for the front, 2 for the rear, 2 for the sub and I added an ipod connection near the passenger seat (Clarion AUXCCA) It fits in the hole perfectly, except, on the left side you will see 2 drill hole marks from the old stereo as it is a tiny bit wider. I left both remotes where they were, but disconnected the rear one because of all the problems people seem to be having with them. I will take more pics today and post them tonight. Installation was realatively easy because the old Amp had wiring to it, so I just used it.

9rumrum,
Did you get ny more pics and your boat had the upgraded stereo from the factory, so the factory had the external anp located in front of the head below the front left bow cushion. Let me know!
Thanks Again!
CBD

#6 9rumrum

9rumrum
  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:15 AM

No and yes. Sorry I forgot to take the pics. Ill do that today. And yes, it had the upgraded stereo system with the amp. All of which I took out.
10" JL Audio sub
2 JL Audio amps
"9rumrum"

#7 9rumrum

9rumrum
  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:27 AM

Here are the pics.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
10" JL Audio sub
2 JL Audio amps
"9rumrum"

#8 CBD

CBD
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:39 AM

9rumrum,
What is the third last pic showing, some sort of aux. input and were is it located?
thanks again

#9 LKNBILL

LKNBILL
  • Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:04 AM

9rumrum,
What is the third last pic showing, some sort of aux. input and were is it located?
thanks again

As an audiophile of many years, I've found (along with the experts) that bass tones - the ones produced by sub woofers - are omnidirectional. That is, you can put the subwoofer any place.
LknBill

#10 9rumrum

9rumrum
  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:29 PM

The only Aux input in the boat was in the lav. So I split the aux output on the head unit and added another one to just to the left of the passenger seat, underneath the armrest so anyone can use their ipod.
10" JL Audio sub
2 JL Audio amps
"9rumrum"