• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 NativeAz

NativeAz

180 Club Member #3

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:19 PM

I have a problem with my trailer that I have not been able to fix yet. Before replacing the actuator and other more expensive parts, I wanted to see if there is a better sequence of diagnosis that can be followed to narrow this down.

Trailer is a 2005 VIP with surge brakes.

Here is the problem:

When I am towing the boat and I stop at a normal rate or slower, it appears to work fine. But, when I have to stop a little faster than normal or more, it cuases the trailer to stop/release/stop/release rapidly (sound is bang...bang...bang) until the rig comes to a stop.

Brakes were checked and re-adjusted, fluid is in the reservoir and actuator is not stiff.

Things that come to mind:

Air in brake lines, bad actuator, unadjusted actuator (too loose/too tight?)

Trailer is level when hitched.

Thanks in advance for the help.
NativeAz
Boatless
1999 Silverado 4WD

I'd rather be sitting in my boat with a drink on the rocks, than sitting in the drink with my boat on the rocks!

Posted Image

#2 RandyP

RandyP
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:31 PM

My guess is a bad master cylinder.
Posted Image
Chaparral 236 SSi, 6.2L Mercruiser, 320hp, Bravo 3 w/2.20 ratio and 24P props.

Randy Palmer
Tucson, AZ

#3 ___

___
  • Members
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:20 PM

Sounds like the brakes are too sensitive, actuating too much, thus pulling the trailer back and then disengaging, the back on again (mechanical hysteresis).

Is there an adjustment that would require more force be applied to actuate the brakes? Thus firming up the actuator. Adjusting for the weight of the load.
Honorary 180 Club Member #1

#4 jcj256

jcj256

Temporarily Boatless

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

Sounds like the brakes are too sensitive, actuating too much, thus pulling the trailer back and then disengaging, the back on again (mechanical hysteresis).

Sounds like something that happened to mine last year. It only happened a few times then seemed to go away. What actually happened is that the master cylinder was going out - at normal breaking it really wasn't breaking at all. Then as pressure would increase, or under harder breaking it would grab sharply and suddenly.
Posted Image

#5 fredthenuke

fredthenuke

Future Banned Member of the Chaparral Forum! ;)

• Members
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:51 AM

When I had this problem the first time there was a cut in the brake line behind one hub and there was NO fluid in the lines. Had to replace the master cylinder because it had rusted.

When they put the new one on I still had the problem. Once I re-bled the brake lines (MYSELF) all problems went away.

So the second time was air in the 1 line (of course the longer one that they didn't bleed enough).

Bleeding surge brakes is kinda difficult - but very important.

2006 Signature 310

Twin Volvo 5.7l OSi with XDP drives ($4000 a year in #%^$&%$ bellows repairs on average)

4.5 out of 5 Muskrats PREFER Chaparral!!!

#6 mpm330

mpm330

Retired Admiral of the United Texas Fleet

• Members
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:17 PM

Those suge brake actuators don't seem to last long. On the last boat trailer that I had it seemed that every couple of years that I had to replace the main actuator cylinder. They tend to get water in them and then rust. The good news is that they are not too hard to change and in boat bucks not bad. When replacing, it requires two people to bleed the brakes. Get one of the vaccume brake bleeding tools from a auto supply to help. :D

This problem seems to happen more often in parts of the country that get really hot, even if it is a dry heat! :lol:

#7 NativeAz

NativeAz

180 Club Member #3

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for the tips.

I will pursue them and report back the results.

Maybe I can get this fixed and make getting there at least 10% of the fun.:)
NativeAz
Boatless
1999 Silverado 4WD

I'd rather be sitting in my boat with a drink on the rocks, than sitting in the drink with my boat on the rocks!

Posted Image

#8 Chap442

Chap442

Admiral of the Gulf Coast

• Members
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:18 PM

Maybe I can get this fixed and make getting there at least 10% of the fun.:)

been there done that!
it can ruin a day when you have trailer issues!

#9 gl115

gl115
  • Members
  • 5,271 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:06 PM

check your owners manual, usually a screwdriver and an assistant you can check your master cylinder.sometimes if its drum brakes the drums get glazed real bad and it will do that also.

Anyone can benefit from a safe boating course.

#10 NativeAz

NativeAz

180 Club Member #3

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:38 PM

By screwdriver I assume you mean the tool and not the drink.

Or maybe both.

:tofunny:
NativeAz
Boatless
1999 Silverado 4WD

Posted Image